PDA

View Full Version : LE Ammo

ironcross
07-25-2011, 3:17 AM
Hey all LEOs,

I'm curious of any G22 ammo would be good for self defense. I rather hear it from the tried and true section of the forum.

Basically I'm looking for a round that has stopping power while not over penetrating, also non corroding casing/round.

Roddd
07-25-2011, 4:10 AM
Our department issues Federal HST. They've tested it in all common calibers and feel it performs well.

center_x
07-25-2011, 6:01 AM
Check out extreme shock. Seems to be cool, but not department issued.

Uhhlexxxis
07-25-2011, 6:50 AM
Hornady critical defense. good stuff, I have it in all my off duty guns.

TrailerparkTrash
07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Winchester "Ranger" HP brand (any bullet weight)
Remington "Golden Saber" HP brand (any bullet weight)
CCI Speer "Gold Dot" HP's
Double Tap ammo HP in the lighter bullet range
Federal HST brand.....

Bottom line, a bad guy's heart and lungs are not going to know the difference of what bullet destroyed them. More importantly you gotta hit your target no matter what bullet type you got. Don't get all wrapped up in the great and false bullet debate. Just make sure you hit your target and you have a good brand hollow point bullet. Pick any of the good brands you know and you'll be just fine. Shot placement is the MOST critical thing you must accomplish in a self defense shooting scenario. Hollow point bullet type/selection is secondary and not that important since the advent of todays superior modern day expanding bullets made by all the "big boy" ammo makers.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
07-26-2011, 10:26 PM
When I used to carry a Glock 22, I used 180gr Speer Gold Dots and then 180gr Winchester Ranger T. Both are considered to be effective rounds.

tyrist
07-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Use hollow points they tend to keep the bullets inside of the body.

ironcross
07-27-2011, 1:10 AM
Winchester "Ranger" HP brand (any bullet weight)
Remington "Golden Saber" HP brand (any bullet weight)
CCI Speer "Gold Dot" HP's
Double Tap ammo HP in the lighter bullet range
Federal HST brand.....

Bottom line, a bad guy's heart and lungs are not going to know the difference of what bullet destroyed them. More importantly you gotta hit your target no matter what bullet type you got. Don't get all wrapped up in the great and false bullet debate. Just make sure you hit your target and you have a good brand hollow point bullet. Pick any of the good brands you know and you'll be just fine. Shot placement is the MOST critical thing you must accomplish in a self defense shooting scenario. Hollow point bullet type/selection is secondary and not that important since the advent of todays superior modern day expanding bullets made by all the "big boy" ammo makers.

No doubt bro. As I live in an apartment complex that was built in the early 70's. If I had to defend myself/property I rather not harm by-standards nor open myself to a civil suit for wrongful death situation.

I've mostly trained with 180's FMJ. Most JHP's are to much to play with. :D

I chose the G22 for what I'd have to be using in the future.

I'm mostly looking for a round that would be good in an apartment complex situation and that won't corrode since I live near the beach.

My AR ammo FMJ has corroded while in mags as well as my current supply of FMJ's in my G22 and mags of my duty belt.