View Full Version : ar problems

01-07-2007, 6:52 PM
i went to the chabot range today to shoot my first ar gripless build/no evil features.for some reason my rounds were not chambering right,i had to pull the charging handle for every round i shot.i had another shooter there check out my rifle, he pulled out my bc/ch and everything looked good for being brand new.we both couldnt figure out what was wrong.can you guys help me out?i`d like to fix this problem before i shoot it again next weekend.thanks

01-07-2007, 7:03 PM
Could be a gas system problem. Not operating properly therefore not chambering a round.

Could be a magazine problem. Try one of your saved USGI 20 or 30 round preban magazines instead of a 10 round commercial magazine that you are using for testing.

01-07-2007, 7:06 PM
Check that the spaces in your gas rings aren't all lined up in a row.

01-07-2007, 7:07 PM
Your gas block may not be aligned correctly over the gas hole in the barrel.

01-07-2007, 7:18 PM
Check that the spaces in your gas rings aren't all lined up in a row.

dont know if this is your problem but i have seen it happen an this is usually the prob. Or a gas ring may have fallen out...but then again if someone inspected your BCG he...

A. might have not noticed the gas rings or ..
B. Not known about gas ring line up

01-07-2007, 7:42 PM
Your gas block may not be aligned correctly over the gas hole in the barrel.

So how do you prevent and fix this problem?

01-07-2007, 7:47 PM
What kind of gasblock do you have? Is it the standard fixed front sight that was alligned/pinned by the manufacturer? If so, look around where it is clamped to the barrel for soot indicating gas blow by. I had that issue once with a gasblock I had bought. I replaced it and the problem was solved. You could also verify the gastube is clear and the gasblock is alligned with the barrel hole by either blowing air with a compressor or shooting some WD40 down the tube, it should come out into the barrel. Also, verify the gas key is tight on the bcg. And that your gasrings (3) are installed and not damaged. It's a simple system when you think about it. Follow the path the gas takes from the barrel back to the bolt and you should be able to find the problem.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-07-2007, 7:53 PM
Do you have pictures of the weapon?

01-07-2007, 8:01 PM
sorry no pics.i`ll check the gas path from the standard a2 front sight back to the bcg,hopefully i can fix it.if not any members in the east bay area willing to check out my rifle to help me fix this?

01-07-2007, 8:21 PM
What ammo were you shooting and was your rifle properly lubed?

Perhaps your rifle still needs to break-in. Maybe you need to find a lighter buffer spring. Hard to say without more info.

01-07-2007, 8:27 PM
i was shooting remington 55gr mc,yes the rifle is brand new,i lubed the bcg/ch with breakfree clp,and i have the wolf upgrade spring.i also shot some milsurp ammo another shooter gave me to try out and still not chambering right.so with the rifle being new cause this xeno?any info helps,thanks.

01-07-2007, 8:38 PM
Check the top of the magazine you were using, see if it is shiny or the park rubbed off. If so, your bolt carrier group is rubbing against your mag's feed lips. Try a different mag. If the spent case is being ejected and the mags are okay, you may just have to break it in. Good luck.

01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
i checked it out i think i have a gas leak coming from the gas block.anyways i can fix this?