PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 gunsmith

sammy
01-07-2007, 7:11 PM
Hello all, I have a Ruger 10/22 that has a spread the size of a baseball at 50 yards. I have tried 12 different kinds of ammo but 3.5" at 50 yards is the best this rifle can do. I am looking to improve this with a new barrel but have no idea how to go about this. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith? Does not need to be local. Thanks, Sammy

naimad
01-07-2007, 7:18 PM
Hello all, I have a Ruger 10/22 that has a spread the size of a baseball at 50 yards. I have tried 12 different kinds of ammo but 3.5" at 50 yards is the best this rifle can do. I am looking to improve this with a new barrel but have no idea how to go about this. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith? Does not need to be local. Thanks, Sammy

Get yourself a barell and stock and do it yourself it is a simple swap with a couple of basic tools check out butler creek volquartsen there lots of parts out there thats just a few

courteousgavin
01-07-2007, 7:18 PM
I am looking to improve this with a new barrel but have no idea how to go about this. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith?

Go look in the mirror. That's your 10/22 gunsmith right there. :)

sigs229
01-07-2007, 7:20 PM
my advice would be to just change out the barrel and stock.it is not that difficult to do. most people modify the 10/22. that's what makes it a fun rifle and a tack driver.

five.five-six
01-07-2007, 7:32 PM
Get yourself a barell and stock and do it yourself it is a simple swap with a couple of basic tools check out butler creek volquartsen there lots of parts out there thats just a few

all it takes is a sloted screwdriver and an allen wrench. I reccomend the swivel allen wrench (they look funny, like there is a ball on the end of it) because a straight allen will bump into the barrel. will take you all of about 15 minutes

sammy
01-07-2007, 7:56 PM
No headspace measurment needed??? That would be sweet if it were that easy! Just turn the screws and it is it huh?

jtv3062
01-07-2007, 8:07 PM
that's all, real simple. you could do a trigger job to if your careful.

five.five-six
01-07-2007, 9:07 PM
No headspace measurment needed??? That would be sweet if it were that easy! Just turn the screws and it is it huh?

it is recoil operated so the recoil spring holds the bolt face against the breech and a .22 is not a necked cartrage so you are good to go

also get a good screwdriver so you don't marr up your screw heads

xenophobe
01-07-2007, 9:14 PM

Get a new barrel and stock. Do not skimp. If you want a lightweight barrel, consider the Volquartsen THM or Tactical Solutions sleeved aluminum barrel.

Two years ago I would have recommended Whistle Pig barrels, but the quality since the move has been off and on, and the chambers have been rough, and the specs have been off as well. They used to make a great barrel, but now I would avoid them.

Avoid any Butler Creek barrel. The Magnum Research barrels aren't as nice as the Volquartsen THM, so don't bother. They are lightweight, but the VQ outshoots them consistently.

For all steel bull barrels, Montana Rifleman, Lilja, Green Mountain and a few others make excellent barrels.

Avoid any of the Butler Creek stocks, IMO. The most useful and best feeling stock is the Hogue Overmold. There are a number of other stockmakers that make excellent product, but avoid Butler Creek and Choate.

Anyways, check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com if you want to really research your purchases first.

CSACANNONEER
01-07-2007, 10:06 PM
First clean and make sure that everything is functioning properly, the barrel is not loose, etc. If this does not work, then get a new barrel. I was going to suggest Whistle Pig but I won't after what xeno posted.

kilword
01-07-2007, 11:28 PM
I've done alot of research on the barrels and what not and yea stay away from butler creek barrels If you want lightweight and accurate go for the Volquartsen barrels If you want accurate but more afforable go for the Green mountain barrels.
check out www.rimfirecentral.com
lots of info (search does wonders) :)

wildcard
01-08-2007, 12:23 AM
You should be able to easily get your groups to about a inch at 50 yds w/ a Green Mountain Barrel and stock of your choice. The key is to glassbed/ freefloat it.

Mike 56
01-08-2007, 7:34 AM
Before you give up on your barrel make sure your action screw is tight. remove the front barrel band. Take a empty shell box and make some shims put them under the barrel at the front of the stock try different thickness. This has worked well on a 10/22 and a few milsurps that had barrels that looked all right but did not shoot well.

Mike

SigShooter
01-08-2007, 9:34 AM
If you want a "stock" looking tack driver you can send your bolt and barrel to Randy @ CPC (http://www.ct-precision.com/). He will polish/headspace the bolt and pin the firing pin. He will also re chamber and set back the stock barrel. If you want a very smooth and light trigger, he can do that as well. His work is top notch and his prices are very reasonable.

As said earlier, check out www.rimfirecentral.com. They are the rimfire equivalent to calguns! Lots of easy how-tos and some really helpful/nice folks.

If you want to do it yourself on a budget (and it is very easy) I would suggest the Green Mountain barrels, they are the most accurate barrels I've used for less than $125. I bought a set of 10 factory seconds GM barrels for $100 and every one shoots as good as the factory first that I spent $110 on. When everything is going right, I can get .25" groups at 50 yards.

I went with a Revival Industries Yukon stock ($120 also) but there are MANY other stock makers out there. While your at it you may want to swap the hammer out for a Volquartsen or Power Custom, this will bring the trigger pull down for the stock 6-8 lbs, to a more pleasant 3.5-4.5 lbs.

My favorite online store for 10/22 parts is http://shootersdiscount.com/cart/

Rugerdaddy
01-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Does anyone know of a good gunsmith? Does not need to be local. Thanks, Sammy

All of the above have given you great info about your 10/22. but unless I missed it no one gave you a gunsmith should you decide to go that route. I have sent my mini 14 (he does 10/22s also) to Great West Gunsmithing in Salem, OR. The owner, John Baker, has a very good reputation (particularly his trigger jobs), and is very good to work with, though due to his popularity he is getting much busier. Check out his web site at:

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/

Look for the link to his 10/22 page. Good luck. :)

p.s. Sorry Sigshooter, I just saw your recommendation above. Well taken.

01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
It is pretty easy to change out your barrel and stock. You might want to look into getting a Volquartsen trigger group too. I put the Volquartsen trigger group in mine along with a Boyds stock and a carbon fiber barrel. Its a real tack driver now.

50BMGBOB
01-08-2007, 3:28 PM
A book called "the ultimate ruger 10-22" Best book I've found on the 10-22. Cabelas has it for $20 right now. Talks about every thing you may want to know about 10-22's. Even if you decide to use a gunsmith, knowing what can be done and how it is done is a good thing.

sammy
01-08-2007, 5:48 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great info. I went ahead and ordered a 18" Green Mountain blued barrel from Hornet Products for $102.00 delivered. Cant wait to try it. I purchaced a cheap trigger enhancement from a guy on e-bay a while back. The stock trigger was so horrible I thaught I was shooting an SKS. My accuracy problems improved but their is still a large amount of creep in the trigger. I guess this will be my next project for the rifle once I get the barrel installed. Thanks again everyone, this forum is the best. :D

SigShooter
01-08-2007, 6:27 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great info. I went ahead and ordered a 18" Green Mountain blued barrel from Hornet Products for $102.00 delivered. Cant wait to try it. I purchaced a cheap trigger enhancement from a guy on e-bay a while back. The stock trigger was so horrible I thaught I was shooting an SKS. My accuracy problems improved but their is still a large amount of creep in the trigger. I guess this will be my next project for the rifle once I get the barrel installed. Thanks again everyone, this forum is the best. :D

I think you will be very happy with your barrel.

If you purchased one of their bull barrels, you will need either a new stock or you will need to modify your existing stock. There are plenty of stocks available for bull barrels from $50 - $$$$ (Hogue are good inexpensive stocks). You can also check out Revival Industries, Boyd's or Richard's Microfit, there are many others.

However, I was able to get good accuracy from my stock Ruger stock just by hogging out the barrel channel with some sandpaper and a dowel. I do this by starting with a 7/8" wood dowel rod and some 60 grit sandpaper. When I get that to the bottom of the barrel channel, I change to 180 grit. If you can find a 15/16" wood dowel use 180 grit to finish up. It is important to try and keep the dowel centered in the factory barrel channel. And lastly Don't forget to seal the channel when you're finished, I just used a few coats of Birchwood Casey's TruOil. This matched the color of my stock close enough, especially since it is in a hidden area. Optimally you want about the thickness of a business card to fit between the barrel and stock. If you go too far with it, don't worry... You can always use some AcraGlas to free float the barrel.

Kiba
01-08-2007, 9:37 PM
If you want a "stock" looking tack driver you can send your bolt and barrel to Randy @ CPC (http://www.ct-precision.com/). He will polish/headspace the bolt and pin the firing pin. He will also re chamber and set back the stock barrel. If you want a very smooth and light trigger, he can do that as well. His work is top notch and his prices are very reasonable.

Randy has done bolt work/trigger work/trigger & receiver tightening on 2 of my 10/22's and as you said his work is quality and the price is very reasonable. Trigger feels great and the boltwork is very nicely done. I'm going to have him work his magic for a 3rd time and add tungsten rods in the bolt of another 10/22 that I'm converting to .17 Mach 2, need something that's got some more energy for those squirrels at 100-125 yards in the orchard behind me. I've already eliminated all the close ones with my .22LR and I'm tired of wounding or missing the ones that are out a little farther. :p

FNC80
01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Clark Custom in Louisiana is a good source for accurate 10/22s.