PDA

View Full Version : Can I sell my C&R guns in CA

ih8ca
07-24-2011, 9:01 AM
I am buying a condo and moving down to CA in a few months. I have some old C&R rifles and handguns I might be interested in selling.My question is can an out of state resident list guns on this site and only sell to people with C&R licenses? What is the law about selling C&R handguns private sale in CA? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Quiet
07-24-2011, 9:16 AM
I am buying a condo and moving down to CA in a few months. I have some old C&R rifles and handguns I might be interested in selling.My question is can an out of state resident list guns on this site and only sell to people with C&R licenses? What is the law about selling C&R handguns private sale in CA? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Since you are a non-resident of CA...
I believe in order to comply Federal laws [18 USC 922 (a)(5)], you will also need a C&R 03-FFL in order to transfer C&R long guns that are 50 or more years old to a CA resident that is licensed as a C&R 03-FFL. Since, you are importing the firearms into another state for sale, you will need to be licensed [18 USC 922 (a)(1)(A)].

CA laws [PC 12078(t)(2)] only exempt C&R long guns that are 50 or more years old from the CA FFL dealer transfer requirement. So, all other C&R firearms (C&R long guns that are less than 50 years old and C&R handguns) must be transfered through a CA FFL dealer.

M. D. Van Norman
07-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Yes, you may sell an eligible C&R firearm to a licensed collector in California. That is the bottom line, but as you will discover, many disagree on the details.

FXR
07-24-2011, 6:43 PM
You could also import the guns yourself and sell them when you get here. If you think you'll want anything that's not on the handgun roster you should buy it before you move. If you change your mind you can always sell it here.
Based on your username, I'm a little curious why you're on Calguns and moving to California...

DannyInSoCal
07-24-2011, 6:48 PM
No. I will do you a favor - Pick them up and properly dispose of them for you.

Haven't you learned that guns are bad in Kalifornistan...?

jamesob
07-24-2011, 8:02 PM
what you got?

big red
07-24-2011, 9:18 PM
bring the guns and those that are C&R can be sold under C&R provisions and any handgun newer than 1898 that is a cartridge gun would need to be transfered through a dealer in any case in california. But nothing stops you from bringing them in as long as they are not on the prohibited list.

FXR
07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
bring the guns and those that are C&R can be sold under C&R provisions and any handgun newer than 1898 that is a cartridge gun would need to be transfered through a dealer in any case in california. But nothing stops you from bringing them in as long as they are not on the prohibited list.

Prohibited list? He CAN import off roster handguns, and should on general principle imo. The only thing he wouldn't be able to import is a listed AW handgun, or a featured AW handgun that couldn't be made compliant via maglock or changing features. It sounds like he has C&R stuff so likely not an issue. OP, you may want to stock up on XDMs and AR pistol lowers, just in case you get a hankering for them once you move here.

Quiet
07-25-2011, 3:59 PM
If the OP is coming to CA and maintaining residency in another state, which it sounds like from his post, then the approved list applies to any handguns he brings to CA to sell. [PC 12125(a)]

The "personal handgun importer" exemption to the approved list, only applies if he intends to move to CA and becomes a CA resident. [PC 12001(n)]

FXR
07-25-2011, 5:26 PM
I took:
I am buying a condo and moving down to CA in a few months.[...]
to mean that the OP is relocating; if he does indeed maintain primary residency in another state then Big Red and Quiet are correct.

big red
07-25-2011, 7:51 PM
we will just have to wait and see how his situation works out. But either way on his resident status we can do our best to help him and keep him out of trouble. We should be here to help each other when it is asked for.