PDA

View Full Version : 223 Loads

anyracoon
01-07-2007, 4:59 PM
Was wondering if any one is loading for their 223 Rifles. I just tried out some pulled 62 grn fmjbt. 25.5 grains 748 over CCI Mag primer. Clocked 2980 on my chrony on 16" barrel. Forgot to take targets so don't know how accurate they where. Was able to hit a 12'" plate at 100 yards in rapid fire. I also loaded up some 69 Sierra MatchKings over 25 grains of Varget to try out in my 20" Bull barrel, but ran out of time.

ocabj
01-07-2007, 5:24 PM
I do a lot of reloading for .223 in the AR, mainly for NRA/CMP service rifle, but I've done a bit of loading for plinking and defense loads as well.

What did you need to know?

Fjold
01-07-2007, 6:51 PM
I load mine with 55 grain Nosler BT's and 50 grain Hornady V max for varmints.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I use 24.0gr Varget with the 69gr SMK's and I use 25.0gr of AA 2200 with a 62gr SS109 bullet

madjack956
01-08-2007, 11:20 AM
I have a way better recipe than all of the above recipes posted.

If you would like it, send $3.50 in a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

J/K:D

I use 23.3 grns. of IMR 4895 w/ a 69 grn. Sierra Match King, Winchester case trimmed to 1.750, Winchester small rifle primer, and seat the bullet to 2.235 O.A.L. It chronos about 2783 out of my 24" barrel and is very accurate. If that is not your cup of tea, try the same with 22.5 of IMR 4064. FPS will drop by about 100 or so.. YMMV

Jack

Alanski56
01-08-2007, 3:40 PM
I've loaded a bunch or Hornady 55 grain V-Max using 25.3 grains of Hodgdon BL-C(2) and CCI Magnum primers. My AR and my custom Mini 14's groups start opening up at 25.5 grains so I settled on 25.3. Both of these rifles love this load.

I have also experimented with 53 grain Sierra Match, 55 grain Nosler BT and 55 grain Sierra Biltzkings using BL-C(2), Varget and Winchester 748 all with stellar accuracy results.

Next project is to use 69 grain Sierra Matchkings.

Have a nice day.

Leoshik
03-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I bought 1000 Hornady 55gr FMJBT bullets a while back and still working through them. I mainly reload for cost, not so much uber-precision.

I'll readily admit though that the reloaded 55gr FMJBT shoots tighter than my prefered factory ammo (PMC .223). Results change with barrel temp on my middy but i generally shave off about 1/4 moa with reloads.

Recipe

55gr Hornady FMJBT
24.0gr Hodgdon Varget OR 21gr Hodgdon H322
Once (or twice) fired PMC brass trimmed to 1.750" (or as close to that as possible) to an O.A.L. of 2.200"
Rem 6.5 primers

My buddy and i firmly believe that for a shot group to be really telling it needs to have more than just 3 holes in it, so we judge our accuracies with 10 shot groups.

This was shot earlier today with my middy topped with a Redfield Revolution.
Used 21gr H322 for powder load. I prefer it to the Varget.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/leoshik/IMG_3195.jpg

The first 6 shots landed in two tight groups and the last four "flew" around. So if i stopped shooting after those 6 i could technically tout myself as a SUBMOA'er ... but I'm not even close to being that good.
I call that shooter error :P on my part

I want to get the 52gr Sierra Match King BTs and stick those on for a change. That should reduce the grouping a little bit better than the FMJs eh?

Bottom line reloading rules. Tangibly beneficial.

Leoshik
03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Whoa... talk about revive eh? Didn't even notice the 2007 on those posts. Hope it stays alive.

Gio
03-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Whoa... talk about revive eh? Didn't even notice the 2007 on those posts. Hope it stays alive.

Ha ha! I did not even look at the date of original posting.

You must like to necro, eh?

-Gio

xrMike
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
My buddy and i firmly believe that for a shot group to be really telling it needs to have more than just 3 holes in it, so we judge our accuracies with 10 shot groups.I've always thought the same. 10 shots = a group that REALLY tells you what a gun/ammo/shooter are capable of.

I'm only punching paper at 100 yards, and banging iron at 300, but my most accurate load so far is a light one:

23.2 grains Ramshot TAC
69 grain Nosler Custom Competition HPBTs
Winchester SR primers (changing to Wolf when gone; these sometimes pierce)
bullets seated to max. mag. length (2.26 inches)

rifle has a 20-inch 1:7 barrel.

Air
03-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't have any of my data on hand, but 60 grain Hornady V Max behind a starting load of either IMR 4198 or 4895 (can't remember which one) produced half MOA groups out of my Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I'll be trying some 68 grainers next....

rockdogz
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I bought some used brass and have no idea how many times it has been fired. This is my first time reloading .223. I have CCI small rifle primers and some Varget. For bullets I'm using Berry's 55gr FMJ BT. Will these primers be ok and do you recommend the 24grn load of Varget as mentioned above? The Hogdon website doesn't show a Varget load for 55gr FMJ, just for 55gr SPR (what's SPR?). Also, can someone point me to a good before/after picture of a primer crimp? I just got a Dillon super swager and have processed some brass with it and the primers seem to be seating ok, however I have no idea if the brass I am loading has a crimp or not.

mif_slim
03-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I bought some used brass and have no idea how many times it has been fired. This is my first time reloading .223. I have CCI small rifle primers and some Varget. For bullets I'm using Berry's 55gr FMJ BT. Will these primers be ok and do you recommend the 24grn load of Varget as mentioned above? The Hogdon website doesn't show a Varget load for 55gr FMJ, just for 55gr SPR (what's SPR?). Also, can someone point me to a good before/after picture of a primer crimp? I just got a Dillon super swager and have processed some brass with it and the primers seem to be seating ok, however I have no idea if the brass I am loading has a crimp or not.

Too bad Im not at my shop to take a picture for you. But a crimped case has a little ring around the primer pocket. A non-crimp case will not. YOu can easily tell the difference. Whats the headstamp on your brass?

rockdogz
03-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I bought a couple thousand pieces of brass, and the headstamps are mixed - I think I have all brands represented :)

Too bad Im not at my shop to take a picture for you. But a crimped case has a little ring around the primer pocket. A non-crimp case will not. YOu can easily tell the difference. Whats the headstamp on your brass?

Leoshik
03-25-2010, 4:27 PM

I got my load data from the actual hornady reloading manual (7th edition).

For the Hornady 55gr FMJ BT the varget load is as follows:

22.8gr = 2800FPS (starting load)
23.7gr = 2900FPS
24.6gr = 3000FPS
25.5gr = 3100FPS
26.4gr !!!HOT LOAD!!!= 3200FPS (Max Load)

Now I assume that the bullet, being the same weight and general structure, will perform similarly with this load data. But it may actually end up quite different. I just don't know since I use the Hornady bullets that have been tested to get this data.

And of, course, the velocities are all approximations dependant on numerous factors.

We tried a 23, 24, 25 gr load and the middle one seemed to work best for us. I noticed that the 25gr kicked a bit harder and ended up being noticeably louder - obvious differences with an increase of powder, but I just didn't think they would be that noticeable. But, once again, any changes in performance of any load depend on the rifle, bullet, brass etc.

Hope this helps.

five.five-six
03-25-2010, 4:30 PM
I use 24.0gr Varget with the 69gr SMK's

I can give a +1 on that recipe... work your way up on your rifle, then your OAL YMMV