View Full Version : CA DOJ Intrafamilial Transfer Question

07-23-2011, 9:42 PM
About 4 years ago my mother gifted a Kimber .45 ACP handgun to her brother, as well as a Browning .25 ACP "saturday night special". I recently found this forum and all the knowledge that, that entails. I told her that family transfers are only up and down the ladder, and not side to side (which her and her brother did). On the form, they were truthful and put the relationship was brother and sister.

Does the DOJ even care about a family relationship?

On the form it talks about the transfer being pursuant to the appropriate penal code. However, if people aren't familiar with the code, it means nothing.

Anyone know if the DOJ rejects these forms??

Thanks for any information.

07-23-2011, 10:45 PM
From what I have heard, everything should be fine. The DOJ cares more about getting the guns registered than if it was aquired in a less than by the book way. Also, I think 4 years is past the statute of limitations for an illegal transfer.

07-24-2011, 2:51 PM
was a conformation letter ever sent?

big red
07-24-2011, 4:09 PM
I have even seen transfer between divorced spouses and no complaints by DOJ and I saw the confirmation letter saying they would record the pistol but the rifle they did not keep track of like they do pistols. Nothing about the "other" being marked and divorced spouses being put in. I think DOJ is just happy people are doing the reporting and paying the $19.00 and if you over pay do not be holding your breath for a refund.

07-24-2011, 5:47 PM
Yeah they received a confirmation and everything. I'm not worried about their legal liability. I was more interested in the lack of conformance to their own policy.

big red
07-24-2011, 6:36 PM
They might not be totally by the book but who are we to complain if they let us make the exchanges and not force us through other channels that are more expensive and time consuming. Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth if they are being kind.

07-24-2011, 7:57 PM
if they sent a conformation letter then you should be good, that letter should have said something along the lines of "this letter is to conform that this kimber .45 sn:XXXXX and browning .25 sn:XXXXXXX are now in the posession of Jane Doe" so there for I wouldnt worry.

and of coarse this is not legal advise.

07-24-2011, 9:55 PM
However, if people aren't familiar with the code, it means nothing.

That is extremely poor reasoning. There was a big article in today's WSJ about just that. People are responsible for knowing and following the relevant laws.

However it seems logical that they are happy the guns are registered and that your family tried to do the right thing.