PDA

View Full Version : How to blow a 200 yard slow fire, standing string

ocabj
01-07-2007, 4:20 PM
http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/misc_range/IMG_4701_crop.sized.jpg

Above picture is one of my 200 yard targets from today's range session. This was a 10-round string of slow fire, fired from standing (NRA/CMP 200 yard stage of fire).

I have been practicing my slow fire standing a lot recently. I think the bulk of my misses (anything out of the black) are caused by mental mistakes (ie: loss of mental focus).

Anyway, I had one of my range buddies take this picture of me pointing out my F-up, thus blowing a great string (the '8' at 4 o'clock was shot #9).

Not to mention that 9 at 10 o'clock (shot #7).

phish
01-07-2007, 4:53 PM
A 97-1X is still nothing to be ashamed of. That string would've pumped you up for the remaining 3 stages of a Leg match.

maybe you outta stay on your side of the Grapevine come April...:p

I blew a potential 97-3X 3 months ago with a similar incident, it turned into a 95-3X in an instant. :mad:

bridgeport
01-07-2007, 4:57 PM
In order to help you sort out the problem, I would have to know the order in which you fired the shots... Youre basic group is great but those four flyers
are a bit rough.

ocabj
01-07-2007, 5:07 PM
In order to help you sort out the problem, I would have to know the order in which you fired the shots... Youre basic group is great but those four flyers
are a bit rough.

Problem with my offhand? It was just mental mistakes on the wide 8 and wide 9. The 8 at 4 I took too long holding for the shot and didn't reset. The wide 9 was simply bad timing. I pulled the trigger too early in my wobble. As far as "four flyers", I'm guessing you're referring to the two shots in the low 10. I called those shots low, so they went where they were supposed to go (with respect to my hold).

Honestly, when I'm shooting my standing string, I'm not shooting for a group. I'm just trying to shoot at the X-ring. As long as my cone of fire stays in the 10-ring, I'm all good.

bridgeport
01-07-2007, 5:15 PM
Dude, I was just teasing you a bit, very nice shooting.

Bridgeport

NRAhighpowershooter
01-07-2007, 7:05 PM
Then I shouldn't mention that I shot my usual offhand average yesterday of 196-7X then??? :D

Cpl_Peters
01-07-2007, 7:21 PM
200 yard standing...scene many a Marine blow expert rifle qual right there.

ocabj
01-07-2007, 7:34 PM
Then I shouldn't mention that I shot my usual offhand average yesterday of 196-7X then??? :D

And don't you shoot a "man gun" / M14?

I'm too girly. I have to use a mousegun. :o

phish
01-07-2007, 7:46 PM
^ nah, he turned after OLL mania last year :p

dwtt
01-07-2007, 8:23 PM
200 yard standing...scene many a Marine blow expert rifle qual right there.
-sticks up hand-
Right here!!

NRAhighpowershooter
01-07-2007, 10:39 PM
^ nah, he turned after OLL mania last year :p

Actually I shoot the same offhand with a OLL as I do with my Match Garand and M1A

derek
01-08-2007, 8:05 AM
I agree with you on the mental mistakes... When you are hammering the bull it's very easy to forget one of the many steps it takes to deliver a good shot...

NRAhighpowershooter
01-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Yup i agree on the mental mistakes also... I have done that a quite a few times myself...... :o

rawb
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Ive been intrested in Service Rifle for a while, where in So Cal is there to shoot DCM/SR?

Ive read on this board the fixed mag config is alright, and found all the technical/technique stuff online. However, I havent found anything about SR in the Inland Empire area whether competition or leagues.

Sorry if Im thread jacking.

phish
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
rawb, check out http://www.carifle.com

You can find out where the nearest highpower matches are located relative to where you live. It sounds like you'll be close to either Coalinga, Fresno, or Camp Pendleton, so you're in good shape. :)

ocabj
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Ive been intrested in Service Rifle for a while, where in So Cal is there to shoot DCM/SR?

Ive read on this board the fixed mag config is alright, and found all the technical/technique stuff online. However, I havent found anything about SR in the Inland Empire area whether competition or leagues.

Sorry if Im thread jacking.

First off, I have only heard stories of people allowing fixed mag AR15s in a SR competition. "Heard" is the key word. I have not seen one. As far as a CMP LEG match, I can't imagine it being allowed. As far as a standard NRA approved match, it may be allowed by the match director, but I don't know if your score will be reported to the NRA as being official.

As far as matches in the IE, the West End Gun Club has service rifle matches. They are not NRA approved/sanctioned matches at this time. Possibly in the future. It is across the course, but the 600 yard line is actually 550. So it's 200/300/550.

The Santa Margarita Gun Club has monthly matches. One weekend out of the month in all of 2007 there will be an Across the Course and 3x600 match (alternating days Sat and Sun every month). If you want more info, PM me and I'll send you more details. I have not actually shot in the SMGC matches at Camp Pendleton, but one of the members at my club is also a member there and has supplied me info. Camp Pendleton's Wilcox Range is excellent and if you want to shoot highpower matches, you definitely want to shoot there. It is a good facility. Just be sure to enter through the Main Gate if you don't have military privileges. Don't try to go through the East Gate via the Naval Weapons Depot. You're going to lose a lot of time when you get denied by the guard and have to drive all the way around to the Main Gate (saw that happen to a guy when I was driving through there last Nov during the Western Games / Creedmoor Cup).

Lytle Creek supposedly has reduced course Garand matches shot at 100 yards.

That's pretty much all the highpower in the IE. There is also the High Desert Competitive Shooting club (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that holds SR matches regularly.

phish
01-08-2007, 1:36 PM
I can confirm that from mid-state on up, match directors turn a blind eye to "toploaders" and let sleeping dogs lie.

Yes, technically, they don't conform to the rules, but the greater good is addressed of getting more prospective competitors into the game.

derek
01-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I miss shooting on Wilcox...

How long have they allowed civilians to shoot on that range? I haven't shot there since 1996...

ocabj
01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
I miss shooting on Wilcox...

How long have they allowed civilians to shoot on that range? I haven't shot there since 1996...

They allow civilians to use Wilcox through the Santa Margarita Gun Club. Not sure how long they've been using the range. They work with the base to schedule use of the range whenever it's not being used by the Marines. I haven't shot with the SMGC. I've only used Wilcox during the CMP Western Games and Creedmoor Cup.

derek
01-10-2007, 6:16 AM
I like the idea. I assume they allow the civilians and Marines to compete against each other during leg matches there, giving everybody more legs?

In 1996 the time I shot there we had 207 shooters for the leg match. All Marines though.

ocabj
01-10-2007, 7:07 AM
I believe so, according to the reported results from previous matches. Shows mix of military and civilian. The only LEG at Pendleton I shot in was the CMP/Creedmoor in 2006.

derek
01-10-2007, 8:01 AM
I believe so, according to the reported results from previous matches. Shows mix of military and civilian. The only LEG at Pendleton I shot in was the CMP/Creedmoor in 2006.

What kind of turn out/numbers are they getting?

ocabj
01-10-2007, 8:29 AM
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_eventAward.cgi?matchID=1643&eventID=8&awardID=1

116 shooters at the Creedmoor EIC Match according to the CMP result database.

derek
01-10-2007, 9:53 AM
Considering the amount of deployed Marines, that seems like a pretty decent turnout.

30Cal
01-10-2007, 10:02 AM
And don't you shoot a "man gun" / M14?

That would be me.

Nice target!

Ty