PDA

View Full Version : M1A ammo question

ahead
01-07-2007, 1:05 PM
Hello,

i recently purchased a M1A socom16, and have a question thats probably been asked many times before, but im unable to find an answer that im confident in trusting. i bought some .308 hunting ammo (http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/core-Lokt.asp) mainly because it was on rebate and figured it would make good HD ammo. now im wondering if ive made a mistake because im not sure if its safe to fire in my m1a. the springfield website says 7.62(.308), so this leaves me a bit confused.

this is my first long gun, and i dont want to damage it for obvious reasons, can someone explain if a m1a is able to shoot .308 or not? ive read many pages dedicated to the differences between the two calibers but none say whether or not its safe to fire both in a m1a. i appreciate any info you guys can give, Thanks!

NRAhighpowershooter
01-07-2007, 1:11 PM
Yes it's safe to shoot in the M1A.. just stay away from the 'light magnum' ammo.....

jtv3062
01-07-2007, 1:17 PM
It has been said not to shoot anything heaver than 175 grain bullets in an m14 rifle the m14 (m1a) was designed to fire 147 grain bullets. The military use 175 smk for the DMR or the M21. thereís more info at this site and you can download the online guide on the history and development on the M14, Different's M1A Site http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/

ahead
01-07-2007, 1:25 PM
Yes it's safe to shoot in the M1A.. just stay away from the 'light magnum' ammo.....

so im ok to shoot the Nato rounds and standard .308 ammo as long as i stay below the 180gr mark? thanks for the info guys!

KIDRR
01-07-2007, 4:35 PM
Yeah you should be all set

JALLEN
01-07-2007, 4:40 PM
If HD means what I think it means (home defense) I'd worry about using a .308 unless you live out in the boonies somewhere. Isn't that a pretty heavy load for urban HD?

I have no experience with it, but from what I read, it sounds like a lot of gun for that purpose.

Kiba
01-07-2007, 4:58 PM
Biggest worry on any M1A (or any other semi-auto) is the primer-- soft primers can slam fire given the free-floating firing pin in the M1A bolt. Factory loads should be A-OK but I would never recommend using benchrest type soft-primers in reloads for an M1A.

The M1A is pretty hard on commercial brass too but that typically only becomes an issue if you reload commercial brass for your M1A. I have never seen a problem with fresh Federal cases (which are pretty soft) seperating in an M1A but have seen them come apart in M1A's after the first reload especially if the guy overworks the brass.

175gr is about the heaviest you want to run in an M1A too, any more beats up the front of the receiver and the oprod.

Different's site, as mentioned, is excellent reading.

ahead
01-07-2007, 5:04 PM
If HD means what I think it means (home defense) I'd worry about using a .308 unless you live out in the boonies somewhere. Isn't that a pretty heavy load for urban HD?

I have no experience with it, but from what I read, it sounds like a lot of gun for that purpose.

i was waiting for this to be brought up...heh

i chose to use the word HD instead of SHTF or other terms of that kind, simply because i didnt want to say shtf. i just wanted a round that would be more effective against a target that consists of flesh instead of paper. my socom is definitely not my goto HD weapon, but if something were to happen on a larger scale it would be my main rifle.

JALLEN
01-07-2007, 5:19 PM
i was waiting for this to be brought up...heh

i chose to use the word HD instead of SHTF or other terms of that kind, simply because i didnt want to say shtf. i just wanted a round that would be more effective against a target that consists of flesh instead of paper. my socom is definitely not my goto HD weapon, but if something were to happen on a larger scale it would be my main rifle.

Ahhh, completely different set of considerations.

sammy
01-07-2007, 7:03 PM
I had the same concern when buying my Springfield scout and e-mailed them. Here is their response:

Hi Sam,

Honestly, I donít know why our manual states to use only recently manufactured surplus 7.62 x 51 NATO ammo. We also recommend any commercially US manufactured .308 WIN ammo (made to SAAMI spec). We also test fire our rifles with Federal Gold Match and Black Hills .308 WIN ammo. Those two are also my recommendation to anyone shooting for accuracy. 168-175 gr. is preferred. We donít recommend 180 gr. ammo or more. 180 gr. is okay to use every now and then but it is too hard on the rifle. Surplus is good to use if you are prinking around at the range but not the best for accuracy. Shy away from Indian (Royal Ordinance) surplus ammo. Itís cheap for a reason. All other surplus ammo should be fine to use. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

John Moe

Regional Dealer Representative

Springfield Armory

420 West Main St. Geneseo, IL 61254

800-680-6866

johnm@springfield-armory.com

cnyankee
01-07-2007, 8:06 PM
i know when i bought mine i asked the same question ans was told that if the headspacing variance falls in between 1.630 to 1.636 that it was good to go and when i got it it had the specs attatched to the barrel. though i have only shot lake city surplus though it...lots cheaper than 308