PDA

View Full Version : Yolo County CCW

w55
07-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Is Yolo county still almost impossible to get a permit to CC? A few guys i know have had no trouble in Sac county.

Purple K
07-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes, search for Richards v. Prieto

Paladin
07-22-2011, 10:12 PM
In case you didn't know about it, there's a subforum at the top, Calguns CCW Information Forum, and if you select back to the beginning for all the threads, you'll come across:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352822

That is the Yolo CCW Information thread. You'll find the most complete and up-to-date information re. Yolo's CCW issuance there.

In case you also don't know, but Calguns Foundation filed a federal lawsuit against Yolo Co Sheriffs Office over their CCW policy/practices. If the sheriff was going to liberalize his policy/practices, I think he would have done such before the case got this far along. Sac Co. Sheriffs Office was a party to that lawsuit, but they folded and now accept self-defense for Good Cause. Yolo chose not to fold.

My bet is you'll have to have pretty solid "good cause" to get a CCW before we either win that lawsuit or win some other federal lawsuit re. carry.

Sorry.

Librarian
07-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Yes, still difficult.

Follow the lawsuit -- Richards v Prieto (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Richards_v._Prieto).

Paladin
07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
What and when is the next step in Richards?

w55
07-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Ok Thanks for the links...

dantodd
07-22-2011, 10:36 PM
What and when is the next step in Richards?

9th Circuit. AFAIK

wentbig
07-23-2011, 5:29 PM
You all have opinions based on correct but out dated information.
I am just a regular "Joe Blow" I got my Yolo CCW in 28 working days.
After reading the Yolo County thread feel free to PM me if I can help I will.

Southwest Chuck
07-23-2011, 8:08 PM
I am just a regular "Jow Blow" I got my Yolo CCW in 28 working days.

Can you give some more specifics? Good Cause for issuance?

Blackhawk556
07-23-2011, 8:23 PM
28 days???? Damn, you must have connections ;)

Paladin
07-23-2011, 9:49 PM
I am just a regular "Jow Blow" I got my Yolo CCW in 28 working days.

I strongly urge you to post this information in the Yolo Co. CCW information thread at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352822

Brandon and/or Gray may contact you via PM for more details. If Yolo/Prieto has liberalized issuance, I'm sure they'd want to hear about it.

Also, I just want to make sure your CCW was issued by Yolo Co. Sheriffs Dept (http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/), not Woodland Police Dept (http://www.cityofwoodland.org/gov/depts/police/default.asp), correct? Last time I checked (a couple years ago), Woodland PD was still issuing, but VERY rarely (w/typical illegal requirements -- $1M liability insurance; 1 yr residency requirement).

Paladin
07-23-2011, 9:56 PM
9th Circuit. AFAIK

I know that! :banghead: :D

But what is the next step (by the 9th) and when will they take it?

CS Sports
07-24-2011, 7:30 AM
Woodland PD is no longer issuing, they have reached an agreement with the sheriff to funnel all applications there. Yolo (Prieto) is issuing permits, I know several who have them.

Paladin
07-24-2011, 8:20 AM
Woodland PD is no longer issuing, they have reached an agreement with the sheriff to funnel all applications there.Thanks for the news. Do you know if Davis PD is still issuing, or have they entered into a MoU ("declared (g)") with the sheriff too? Woodland and Davis were the only incorporated cities (out of 4 total) that were issuing any CCWs back when I last checked.

Yolo (Prieto) is issuing permits, I know several who have them.Really? Hmm. Like I suggested above w/the other Woodland resident, please post in the Yolo Co. CCW information thread so that other law-abiding pro-RKBA folk may benefit from your knowledge. If you know what their Good Causes were (w/o providing so much detail at to compromise their anonymity), that would be most helpful. Was "mere" self-defense sufficient GC? "avid/competitive shooter"? Or are they jewelry dealers, rare coin dealers, pharmacy drug reps, etc?

wentbig
07-24-2011, 9:58 AM
All the information has been on Yolo information thread sense May 2011. Brandon and Peterson followed the thread.
The Yolo like the other county threads are quite, seems everyone posts on the CCW forum.
Each time I read comments like BH556 made I will reiterate.
" I am not a special case" Yolo gives out over 250 permits each year.
The nay sayers, in most cases, never completed the application process.
Please email me, PM me, I will help any way I can.

Paladin
07-24-2011, 10:28 AM
All the information has been on Yolo information thread sense May 2011. Brandon and Peterson followed the thread.
The Yolo like the other county threads are quite, seems everyone posts on the CCW forum.
Each time I read comments like BH556 made I will reiterate.
" I am not a special case" Yolo gives out over 250 permits each year.
The nay sayers, in most cases, never completed the application process.
Please email me, PM me, I will help any way I can.Sorry, w/58 counties, I don't keep up w/everything (plus the various lawsuits around the country).

Just went thru your post in the Yolo Co CCW info thread. Glad that, due to your business risk and size, your GC satisfied the sheriff.

The CCW Info threads have been quiet since, IIRC, around last Dec. Some things were put on hold pending the outcome of the Ventura case re. forcing sheriffs to release GC statements. Now that we won that case, some new movement (aka "fireworks") are expected to be made public any time now.

Glad you got yours. Glad you're willing to assist other law-abiding CGNers in getting theirs. But don't be surprised if many prefer to wait on the sidelines until CGF says it is time to apply.

Paladin
07-24-2011, 10:50 AM
If Yolo is "liberal" in their issuance, it kind of makes you wonder why they're fighting CGF in federal court before the 9th Circuit of Appeals?

If Prieto is on our side, why did he remove all mention of CCWs and the application process from the sheriff's website about 4 years ago?

Sorry, he can't have it both ways. He's either like Sacto and puts everything out in the open and obeys the law, or he's an anti that needs his behind kicked in federal court. No more double-dealing. :chris:

CGN has over 71,000 members, most of whom live in CA. There are 58 people who have the job of sheriff in CA. WE WILL KEEP FIGHTING UNTIL WE WIN OUR 2ND A RKBA "BECAUSE WE LIVE HERE! ! !" ("Wolverines!") If they don't like it, we'll see them in federal court or they can get new jobs.

dantodd
07-24-2011, 10:59 AM
If Yolo is "liberal" in their issuance, it kind of makes you wonder why they're fighting CGF in federal court before the 9th Circuit of Appeals?

Issuing broadly doesn't mean the sheriff is willing to give up his right to use issuance as a political tool. I don't know exactly how freely he issues and it is quite possible that after Sykes was filed he reviewed the permits that he issued in the past and altered his policy to prevent an EP lawsuit like Santa Clara is now facing.

CS Sports
07-24-2011, 12:31 PM
"If Prieto is on our side, why did he remove all mention of CCWs and the application process from the sheriff's website about 4 years ago? "

Never said that Yolo was "shall issue", but they have most certainly not removed the ccw policy/forms from their website.

http://www.yolosheriffs.com/civilforms.html

I actually found the department to be very helpful and accommodating. Sgt Zeiler, who apparently handles the application process was a very good guy.

Paladin
07-24-2011, 1:06 PM
"If Prieto is on our side, why did he remove all mention of CCWs and the application process from the sheriff's website about 4 years ago? "

Never said that Yolo was "shall issue", but they have most certainly not removed the ccw policy/forms from their website.

http://www.yolosheriffs.com/civilforms.html

I actually found the department to be very helpful and accommodating. Sgt Zeiler, who apparently handles the application process was a very good guy.Ahh, that's new. It wasn't there a year or so ago when I last checked. It was there 5 years ago, and then vanished about a year after that. Glad to see it's back again and he's starting to get with the program.

As I asked above, any idea if Davis PD still issues, or have they declared G as well?

Also as I asked above (please include your own GC too w/o too many specifics),
If you know what their Good Causes were (w/o providing so much detail at to compromise their anonymity), that would be most helpful. Was "mere" self-defense sufficient GC? "avid/competitive shooter"? Or are they jewelry dealers, rare coin dealers, pharmacy drug reps, etc?

Since you wrote that Yolo isn't (virtual) Shall Issue, SD isn't sufficient GC. So knowing what has been deemed sufficient GC w/others will help Yolo CGNers determine if they should also apply now.

RobG
07-24-2011, 2:59 PM
I'd love to see the current GC's of issued permits as I live in W. Sac. The problem is he won't issue for self defense and clearly states so on the app unless you can show "credible threats of violence." It also requires training prior to applying (illegal).

wentbig
07-24-2011, 3:57 PM
Davis PD has declared "G" and if you read the Yolo County thread you will see what happened when I applied to Woodland.

Paladin
07-24-2011, 4:05 PM
Davis PD has declared "G" and if you read the Yolo County thread you will see what happened when I applied to Woodland.As I mentioned in post #16 above, I read the Yolo CCW info thread earlier today. Seems like, after reading what CGN/F and others are up to, that the CoP and City Attorney wisely decided to pass that hot potato (CCW issuance) over to Prieto, who's already in federal court re it. :D

Can't say I blame Davis PD either.

Barkoff
07-24-2011, 8:12 PM
The last Republican to win a majority in Yolo county was Dwight Eisenhower in 1952. This will be a good test.

ohsmily
07-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Bottom line...we know for a fact that Sheriff Prieto will not issue to the average citizen who wants a permit simply for self defense. The Sheriff requires more in the way of a good cause statement. As another poster mentioned, the Sheriff's literature expressly excludes 'self protection and protection of family (without documented/credible threats of violence)' as a valid reason for an application.