PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out loud...

DV8
01-07-2007, 9:09 AM
While cleaning my su-16 last night, I got to thinking about how it would be nice to have a folding AK type rifle and why we can buy an SU that folds.

If I remember correctly, the SU is ok because it cant fire when folded which is also why the "C" model isnt ok because it can. If you have an underfolder and fixed it so it wouldnt fire when the stock was folded, wouldnt that make it ok to possess?

I dont have an underfolder and am not sure how it clears all the controls on an ak when folded. But if you used a fixed stock selector and put a tab/block on the underfolder arm at the right point, wouldnt that keep the selector on safe thus restricting it from firing?

This would be done to a gripless build of course, preferably with a MM grip(dont have one of these yet either). A couple more thoughts, the grip might not have enough support since theres not fixed stock and the rifle would be ugly as sin....On the other hand, you gain compactness.

Anyway, its just a thought maybe theres other legalities I'm not aware of that would get in the way.

DJMAN
01-07-2007, 1:00 PM
Pin in a ten rd mag. Make sure its not to short and your good to go.:D But Why?:confused:

rocknut
01-07-2007, 1:47 PM
An AK is almost 5" too short when folded including the original muzzel brake. The advantage to this would be that you wouldn't have to have a 5+" muzzel device permanently attached to have a legal folding AK.

My concern with the idea is, there would be a point when the stock wasn't folded all the way where it was less than 30" and could still fire. I like the line of thought though.

DV8
01-07-2007, 3:18 PM
If you're talking about the 30" minimum in CA, that shouldnt matter because the SU "A" is 27 inches (or so) folded and its still legal. The kicker is it cant be fired in that config. However, you may have a point about the ak being able to fire if not fully folded. This idea might be easier on another weapon type that has folding stocks available.

We all know you can do pinned and go crazy on evil features. My thought was to have a folder with a detachable mag. But then again its just a thought, I dont plan on doing a build like that.

blkA4alb
01-07-2007, 8:48 PM
Fixed magazine has nothing to do with it.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

DV8
01-08-2007, 6:58 AM
Fixed magazine has nothing to do with it.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

If this were true then a folded su would be considered an AW. Again, the exception is it cant be fired when folded thus its legal.

blkA4alb
01-08-2007, 3:52 PM
If this were true then a folded su would be considered an AW. Again, the exception is it cant be fired when folded thus its legal.
I wasn't respoding to what you said.