PDA

View Full Version : Fix it ticket

nekokoneko
07-22-2011, 6:46 PM
Hey guys,

Yesterday at a red light, I was changing the song track on my ipod touch and a motorcycle police officer pull up on my right and saw it in my hands. The light changed to green and I drove off for about 2 mile before he pulled me over. He asked for my license and registration and I was explaining to him that it was not a phone. He let me off with a warning but he noticed that the address on the license and registration card was different.... so he gave me a fix it ticket. In my 5 years of driving, I never received any ticket before. So, I know I have to go to the dmv and to get my address updated, but what do I do after that? Wait for the ticket to be receive and go to court?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Clutch-n-Throttle
07-22-2011, 8:08 PM
You could read the back of the ticket. I will explain how to take care of a dismissible ticket.

It essentially says you need to correct the violation first. After you have everything straightened out, take the ticket to any police station or CHP office. They check to see if you corrected the violation. They will sign the back of the ticket and stamp it. You can take the ticket to the court clerk and pay the dismissal fee or you can send in the ticket with the payment. I believe the dismissal fee is $25.

It's best to go to a police station and get it signed off. Some courts require that a stamp from the department doing the clearance. They want to be sure an officer signs off the ticket and not someone forging a signature. You could get an officer off the street to sign it but the court may not accept it. You would have to go to the station anyways to get the stamp.

Another thing. If you take your ticket to the CHP, they will not charge you a "ticket sign off" fee. I have heard that some PD's charge $20 or more for a ticket sign off.

Hope that helps.

nekokoneko
07-22-2011, 8:25 PM
It does help. Thanks.
I read the back but still had difficulties understanding.

Ron-Solo
07-22-2011, 8:53 PM
Los Angeles County courts require a certificate of correction. The will not accept a simple signature on the cite

hk91666
07-22-2011, 8:55 PM
Hey guys,

Yesterday at a red light, I was changing the song track on my ipod touch and a motorcycle police officer pull up on my right and saw it in my hands. The light changed to green and I drove off for about 2 mile before he pulled me over. He asked for my license and registration and I was explaining to him that it was not a phone. He let me off with a warning but he noticed that the address on the license and registration card was different.... so he gave me a fix it ticket. In my 5 years of driving, I never received any ticket before. So, I know I have to go to the dmv and to get my address updated, but what do I do after that? Wait for the ticket to be receive and go to court?

You can update your address online, I did when I moved but it may not address your fixit ticket.

Yugo
07-22-2011, 8:57 PM
go to the dmv change address then go to chp office sign it off and then show it to the court pay $25 and be on your marry way.

nekokoneko
07-22-2011, 9:16 PM
Dang! Do i have to go to court? The court the officer checked is close to 50 miles away from me. On the back of the ticket only states that I can mail the transaction fee in. Damn it.....

Peter W Bush
07-22-2011, 9:40 PM
Los Angeles County courts require a certificate of correction. The will not accept a simple signature on the cite

:confused: I just finished with a correctable violation and all CHP did was sign and stamp the ticket. Just like last time

Ron-Solo
07-25-2011, 12:03 AM
:confused: I just finished with a correctable violation and all CHP did was sign and stamp the ticket. Just like last time

The stamp is considered the certificate of correction. LASD issues a printed one. Just signing the back won't work in LA anymore. When our computers would go down we would use a time stamp at the counter that said "Sheriff's Department" on it and then sign it. That would work too.

mej16489
07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
He let me off with a warning but he noticed that the address on the license and registration card was different.... so he gave me a fix it ticket. In my 5 years of driving, I never received any ticket before. So, I know I have to go to the dmv and to get my address updated, but what do I do after that? Wait for the ticket to be receive and go to court?

You got a fixit ticket for non-matching license and registration?!? What code did he cite?

FLIGHT762
07-25-2011, 12:19 PM
For the Driver's license, it's 14600 (a) V.C. Failure to notify DMV with the change of address within 10 days of the address change.

For registration, it's 4160 V.C.

AragornElessar86
07-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Dang! Do i have to go to court? The court the officer checked is close to 50 miles away from me. On the back of the ticket only states that I can mail the transaction fee in. Damn it.....

Mail in is totally acceptable as long as you make sure it gets there before the due date.

mej16489
07-25-2011, 1:31 PM
For the Driver's license, it's 14600 (a) V.C. Failure to notify DMV with the change of address within 10 days of the address change.

For registration, it's 4160 V.C.

Neither of which have anything todo with them not matching...