PDA

View Full Version : PPT Gun Lock Proof

jrtf83
07-22-2011, 4:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I hear so much FUD from FFLs about the rules for purchasing gun locks.

I'd love to have some kind of proof or document to show them to say, "Look, the gun comes with a CA approved locking device, so I DO NOT need to buy one."

Just not giving FFLs that don't understand the rules (or want to screw you into paying $15 for a $4 lock) isn't going to fix anything.

Trying to be pro-active,
Ross

wazdat
07-22-2011, 4:33 PM
I've never had a problem. Usually wind up filling out a "Gun Safe Affidavit" or bringing a lock.

I've also heard of people buying the $15 lock and then returning it the next day.

You can also have the seller give you a dated receipt for the lock that he (you) brought.

paul0660
07-22-2011, 4:36 PM
affidavit only works for long guns.

There are ways around it. Like the jump through yourbutthole buy it and return it deal.

In fact, if your FFL, who likes you and your bidness, hands you a childsafe lock, you are gtg.

tenpercentfirearms
07-22-2011, 5:09 PM
This thread lays it out. Now will your dealer understand this? Probably not since most dealers like to make money on locks.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=254024

sreiter
07-22-2011, 5:45 PM
The laws you need to buy a lock within last 30 days. Doesnt say from who.

Easiest thing to do is have your friend "sell" you a lock and provide a written dated receipt.

Thats all you need (the good FFL's in a major "black rifle" gear store got me hip to this little trick)

gratefuldog
07-22-2011, 7:30 PM
Say what you will about Turner's, but when you buy a handgun, they sell you the DOJ lock for $.01.

walmart_ar15
07-22-2011, 9:05 PM
Say what you will about Turner's, but when you buy a handgun, they sell you the DOJ lock for $.01.

Most new guns sold now days come with a lock. It is both a CA and Fed requirement, when purchasing a gun, you'll need to show evidence of a child proof lock. For handgun, a sales receipt or a physical lock is generally required.

I have done a PPT which I brought in my own lock box and a lock. The greedy FFL still force me to buy a new lock or he refuses to do the transfer, saying it is ATF requirement.:fud:

I pay it anyways since I didn't want to have the seller to meet me at another store. Sad part is, when I went back to pick up the pistol, the FFL pretended he forgot and didn't want to give me the new lock, where 10 days prior he rant about how ATF forces him to have every gun leaving his store to have a lock!

BTW, can someone tell me what is the DROS Fee for a new handgun? Another FFL charged me $30 and saying it has been the price for ages:confused:

kiloechovictor
07-22-2011, 9:57 PM
BTW, can someone tell me what is the DROS Fee for a new handgun? Another FFL charged me $30 and saying it has been the price for ages:confused:

DROS is the same for long guns and handguns, 25 smackeroons. That FFL done robbed you.

thenodnarb
07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
funny, because my last pistol I bought from turners, they didn't require me to buy a lock, prove I had a lock or sign a safe affidavit. In fact, the beretta didn't come with a lock that I can remember, and the box wasn't lockable. I had prepared by bringing a pelican case and a lock for legal transport, but I remember thinking how this was a potential problem for new gun owners. Maybe one of the docs I signed included something that mentioned the lock, but I forgot. I'll check more closely next time since I'll be picking up something else there soon.

Librarian
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM

DROS is the same for long guns and handguns, 25 smackeroons. That FFL done robbed you.

$19, actually, with $6 in additional state fees:What fees can I charge in addition to the DROS?

In addition to the State's $19.00 DROS fee, you must also charge a $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee. If the transaction being processed is a dealer sale, consignment return, or return from pawn, you may impose other charges as long as this amount is clearly shown as a "dealer fee" and not misrepresented as a State fee.

(PC sections 12071(b)(11), (12)) http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#17G

j-rod
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Sometimes the local PD gives away gun locks. This was the case in Pleasant Hill several years ago. If I remember correctly I did all the paperwork and the FFL informed me of the freebee program. Came back after the 10 day wait with my freebee lock from the PD.

NorCalDustin
07-22-2011, 11:50 PM
affidavit only works for long guns.

There are ways around it. Like the jump through yourbutthole buy it and return it deal.

In fact, if your FFL, who likes you and your bidness, hands you a childsafe lock, you are gtg.
Thats what Cordova Shooting Center has always done for me...

Rich Keagy
07-23-2011, 11:12 AM
My two Kimbers came with locks (stamped Kimber). I think this is done both as advertising and a PR gesture. I'll bet Kimber buys them by the truckload.

Cokebottle
07-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Turners, and many other shops, add a $5 dealer fee on top of DROS.

As long as it's itemized separately on the invoice, it's legal.
They may not legally line-item "California DOJ DROS - $30"

PM720
07-23-2011, 3:14 PM
Turners has charged me 6 bucks per lock on 3 separate occasions. You can buy them from me for $5. :D

Scott

VW*Mike
07-23-2011, 6:12 PM
I have a ton of locks. I don't mind buying them, and paying an extra amount towards the FFL. They have overhead and a business to run.

MindBuilder
07-23-2011, 7:45 PM
I'm surprised nobody has created a little .doc file of a professional looking receipt that someone could put their friend's business name and current date on and print out and cut down to size and perforate the edge with a Saran wrap box toothed edge to make it look like a register receipt. Then they could buy a lock from their friend with a receipt they just helped him make. Just selling your friend a lock and buying it right back would be pushing it legally, so it would be best for friends to keep a couple locks on hand to sell to each other as the occasion arose. Would that meet the requirements of this boneheaded law?