PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! Did traffic fines go up (a lot)?

DavidRSA
07-22-2011, 4:13 PM
I just got my fine for a traffic violation in Malibu which occurred last month. I went straight from a right-turn only lane which was clearly posted as "right lane must turn right".

Wow! The fine was $230! That seems steep. The sheriff told me my infraction was more like a parking violation than a traffic violation so I was surprised at the amount. This was the second time in 17 years that I have any type of traffic violation.

Has there been an increase in the size of fines recently? And is there any point in appearing in court seeing the facts are not in dispute?

Jonathan Doe
07-22-2011, 4:57 PM
The total is usually about times the original fine, after they add penalty and court costs, etc...

G-forceJunkie
07-22-2011, 5:32 PM
State and countys need money, fees have gone up. Pay the bill, take the traffic school if available, and call it a day.

TurboChrisB
07-22-2011, 5:56 PM
Yeah, it's gone way up. I'd say it's gotten pretty oppressive. I have a corner near my shop where they installed a red light camera. I went to turn right there..divided road...clear view for several hundred yards...I slowed to about 5 mph and rolled through and made my right turn...flash...$310. Wow....this is in a very industrial part of Santa Ana...so I'd guess the average joe in this area is probably making that in a week. Could be DEVASTATING to a lot of people.

Tacit Blue
07-22-2011, 8:24 PM
Yeah, it's gone way up. I'd say it's gotten pretty oppressive. I have a corner near my shop where they installed a red light camera. I went to turn right there..divided road...clear view for several hundred yards...I slowed to about 5 mph and rolled through and made my right turn...flash...$310. Wow....this is in a very industrial part of Santa Ana...so I'd guess the average joe in this area is probably making that in a week. Could be DEVASTATING to a lot of people.

When i was in a patrol vehicle (Govt Security contractor) I thought i ran a red-light camera. I was nervous as-hell, what happened was someone made a U turn on a red. I already gone through on a yellow, so i saw the flash thinking it was for me. I called my supervisor and told him what happened,luckily for me nothing ever came about it. But it was supposed to come out of my paycheck if it did.. i Hate those things..., but they are a effective deterrent 100%...

They have a video recording you can view online, as-well as a picture. They would have saw me in the vehicle, Oakley sunglasses ,black BDU's crusing through with a worried look on my face :rofl2:...

Sounds like you did a ' California Stop' so yeah of course your going to get flashed for it... The sensors are set up, if your bumper goes over the center line you get screwed...

Cokebottle
07-22-2011, 8:56 PM
$230? That's all?

That's cheap by California standards.

A cell phone ticket will cost you more.

radioburning
07-22-2011, 9:31 PM
think of the children...:rolleyes:

toddthedog
07-22-2011, 9:35 PM
I just got a speeding ticket in murrieta going 8 mph over the posted speed limit. Its going to cost me 490 dollars. I almost died when i saw the fine amount. I remember when speeding tickets were maybe 200

Digital_Boy
07-22-2011, 9:44 PM
Red light cameras are bad enough, but what's worse is either the contractor who monitors them or the city government also shortens the yellow light intervals at camera intersections to generate more revenue.

If they were REALLY concerned about safety and preventing accidents, they'd simply reprogram these intersections to have a 1 second or so all red interval, to give any yahoos a chance to stop or clear the intersection before letting cross traffic go. Been studied and found to drop accidents at problem intersections to near zilch. But it doesn't net the city and contractors like Redflex any ticket money.

Cokebottle
07-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Red light cameras are bad enough, but what's worse is either the contractor who monitors them or the city government also shortens the yellow light intervals at camera intersections to generate more revenue.
Old news... and every one of those tickets were thrown out.
This all happened over 5 years ago.

And the contractor who monitors them does not have access to the traffic signal controller. Those have to be accessed by the city tech or engineer.
There is also a minimum yellow time built into the software and it can not be violated. 25-35mph speed limit and that minimum yellow time is most likely within state spec.
If they were REALLY concerned about safety and preventing accidents, they'd simply reprogram these intersections to have a 1 second or so all red interval, to give any yahoos a chance to stop or clear the intersection before letting cross traffic go.And the accidents aren't caused by the redlight runners that would be running the all-red clearance. The accidents are from idiots like this:

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/redlight.mpg

Just worked one yesterday.
Idiot blows the red, realized it, locked up his brakes just as he cleared the crosswalk, ended up skidding into a woman crossing and pushed her into the signal pole, knocking it down.
His insurance will be getting the bill for the replacement.

BTW: The approach that he blew has 4 seconds yellow and 1 second all-red. Given the 35mph limit and width of the street, 3.5 yellow would be legal and no all-red would be needed.

Beatone
07-22-2011, 10:12 PM
They sure have gone up. A lot. I got a speeding ticket on Interstate 5 in the 70's and it was 33.00.

TurboChrisB
07-23-2011, 12:16 AM
True story....I bought a nice used Mercedes in Florida a few years back...being that I'm ALL about the road trips...me and my buddy fly in to drive it home. Somewhere outside of Tallahassee we get pulled over doing 90 in a 75. I'm thinking by CA standards....this is gonna be a $1000 ticket....so...remembering the words of a friend of mine who used to say (regarding tickets) "if your want a break it helps to ask for one" I got out of the car and walked back to the trooper who had his ticket book out and said "I know this is gonna be an expensive ticket...anyway you could cut me a break on the speed?"
To which he replied, "Yeah it is..." Pulled out a sheet from his pocket and said, "Lets see....90 in a 75....gonna be $95"

I swear the first thing that came to mind was, "Well, Damn, then go ahead and give me two!"

Of course I didn't say it out loud...but wow....sure is different in CA. Got home...paid the fine..did online traffic school for it and was done with it.

Roddd
07-23-2011, 6:13 PM
I didn't see it mentioned yet but usually a trip to traffic court and pleading guilty will result in a fine reduction. At least that's how it is here. It'll still be expensive though.

dad
07-23-2011, 6:27 PM
Traffic Ticket Fines (Effective 01/06/2011)

VC 12814.6 $214 Failure to obey license provisions.

VC 14600(A) $214 Failure to notify DMV of address change
within 10 days

Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

VC 16028(A) $796 Failure to provide evidence of financial
responsibility (insurance)

Note: This fine may be reduced with proof of insurance on or after the
violation date.

VC 21453(A) $436 Failure to stop at a red signal.

VC 22349 $214 Unsafe speed, 1 to 15 miles over the
limit.

VC 22350 $328 Unsafe speed, 16 to 25 miles over the
limit.

VC 22450 $214 Failure to stop at a stop sign.

VC 22454(A) $616 Passing a school bus with flashing red
signals.

VC 23123(A) $148 Driving while using a wireless phone not
hands free, first offense .

VC 23123(B) $256 Driving while using a wireless phone not
hands free, each subsequent offense.

VC 23123.5 $148 Driving while using a wireless device to
send, read or write text.

VC 23124 $148 Minor driving while using a wireless
phone.

VC 22500 $976 Parking in a bus loading area.

VC 22507(A) $976 Violation of disabled parking provisions,
first offense.

VC 22507(B) $1876 Violation of disabled parking provisions,
second offense.

VC 26708 $178 Unlawful material on vehicle windows.

VC 27150 $178 Adequate muffler required.

VC 27315 $148 Mandatory use of seat belts.

VC 27360 $436 Mandatory use of passenger child
restraints.

Note: This fine may be reduced by completing a court authorized child
seat diversion program .

VC 27400 $178 Headsets or Earplugs covering both ears.

VC 27803 $178 Violation of motorcycle safety helmet
requirements.

VC 34506 $616 Commercial Driver - Log book violation.

VC 4000 $256 No evidence of current registration.

VC 4159 $178 Notify DMV of change of address within
10 days.

VC 5200 $178 Proper display of license plates.

VC 9400 $178 Commercial weight fees due.

Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction. Don't
blame the cops. They don't set the fines or collect them!

hk-p2000
07-23-2011, 6:35 PM
Have anyone read this http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/06/red_light_traffic_cameras_la.php

hk-p2000
07-26-2011, 6:47 PM
Now that the City Council recommended to stop issuing citations at the end of the month, are people getting their money back.
what about the people that have them in collection. is the collection agency are just going to let it go. nothing damage not even their credit.:rolleyes:

By Ari Bloomekatz, Los Angeles Times

July 26, 2011
Motorists who get tickets under the city's controversial red-light camera program can shrug them off, Los Angeles officials agreed Monday.

"The consequence is somebody calling you from one of these collection agencies and saying 'pay up.' And that's it," said committee member and Councilman Bill Rosendahl. "There's no real penalty in terms of your driver's license or any other consequences if you don't pay."