PDA

View Full Version : Help with a small problem (seating a mag)

Prc329
01-06-2007, 11:26 PM
O.K., I have my all stag build in a gripless formation so I can use my 20 rounders. I recently upgraded my 20s with c products bodies and magpul followers. The bodies were a bit rusty and I broke the tabs that hold the floor plate on one.

Now if I fill the mag to 20 rounds it will not seat in the gun without hitting the floor plate really hard. This also happens with my 10 round promag magazines if they are filled with 10 rounds. Remove a round and it slides in a locks in place really easy.

Now the stag upper and lower fit together very tight. I have not tried a different upper on the lower to see if the problem effects the others as well yet.

Any ideas? I would like to fill my mags and use the stag lower and upper together. It is also hard to get the take down pin seated without using some sort of tool.

PLINK
01-06-2007, 11:31 PM
What does it do with the bolt carrier locked back?

Prc329
01-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I haven't tried locking it back. Moving it feels very tight though. Not as smooth as my fixed mags.

Prc329
01-06-2007, 11:38 PM
I have the same problem with my stock promags. Flush or extended. They work great in my fixed mag build.

PLINK
01-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I haven't tried locking it back. Moving it feels very tight though. Not as smooth as my fixed mags.

Maybe I didn't say enough in my post. How is inserting the magazine with the bolt carrier in the forward position (ejection port closed) vs with the bolt carrier locked back by the bolt catch (ejection port open)?

Prc329
01-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I gotta go outside to put my daughters sheets in the dryer soon. I will try it and get back to you.

Prc329
01-07-2007, 12:07 AM
O.K., bolt locked back everything is fine. Bolt closed same problem.

PLINK
01-07-2007, 12:15 AM
That is why you do not experience the problem on your fixed mag builds. There is no tension on the mag when fully loaded because the upper is open for loading, plus the mag is already locked in place.

As for the fix, I am not sure.

With the bolt carrier foward the top round is hitting the bottom of the bolt carrier which is normal. It seems you are fighting the spring tension on the mag when fully loaded. With one less round all is good.

You could try to keep the mag loaded for some time to help break in the springs. I tend to do this with new mags or mags with new parts in them.

Prc329
01-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks. I figured it may be normal :) Just had to be sure. Right after I posted my last post I went to AR15.com and checked the trouble shooting forum. Seems it is a normal thing and exactly what you posted plink. Thanks for the help.

PLINK
01-07-2007, 12:30 AM
The beauty the evil featureless builds.

Put full mag in, fire til empty, hit mag release, insert fresh mag, hit bolt release, and repeat.

Fix mag builds have there place i.e. bench shooting but for plinking on BLM it is not much fun.

I have a rifle with a tight upper to lower fit built as evil featureless.

Have fun with your new toy.

Prc329
01-07-2007, 12:34 AM
I will. I was planning on taking the featureless and my SDM-R out this weekend but my daughter got sick :(

BTW, love that YHM muzzle break. Adds just enough evil to a featureless build. That tip would bash a zombie head in no problem.

Gringo Bandito
01-07-2007, 7:44 AM
I will. I was planning on taking the featureless and my SDM-R out this weekend but my daughter got sick :(

BTW, love that YHM muzzle break. Adds just enough evil to a featureless build. That tip would bash a zombie head in no problem.

+1 On the YHM meat grinder. I just used it for the first time yesterday and it works great. Waaaaaay better than the birdcage.