PDA

View Full Version : C Products 10rnd Mags

NRAhighpowershooter
01-06-2007, 5:48 PM
I got in my C Products 10rnd mags from 10% today.. they look verry nice!! I can't wait to try them Wednesday!!!

Blacktail 8541
01-06-2007, 5:57 PM
I think that you will be very happy with their performance.
I really like mine.

gose
01-06-2007, 6:07 PM
Tested my 10/30 mag today and not too happy, since it didn't work all that well. The tenth round is really hard to get into the mag and there is no way in hell to seat a mag with 10 rounds on a closed bolt. With 10 rounds in the mag I also had a couple of failure to feeds on the second round.

Not too impressed, since my 10/20 Bushie mags are all flawless.

Are there any other manufacturers of 10/30 mags than C-products?

Gringo Bandito
01-06-2007, 6:18 PM
Tested my 10/30 mag today and not too happy, since it didn't work all that well. The tenth round is really hard to get into the mag and there is no way in hell to seat a mag with 10 rounds on a closed bolt. With 10 rounds in the mag I also had a couple of failure to feeds on the second round.

I have to agree with Gose( It was good to meet you BTW). I tried my 10 rounders for the first time today and had many FTF ( on full mags ) and could not even attach a full 10 round mag with the bolt closed. If I loaded them with 8 rounds they worked fine.

Mag_Rat
01-06-2007, 6:19 PM

I had the second round jam problem twice out of 300+ rounds with the C products 10/30 mag.

cornholio1
01-06-2007, 6:20 PM
I have to agree with Gose( It was good to meet you BTW). I tried my 10 rounders for the first time today and had many FTF ( on full mags ) and could not even attach a full 10 round mag with the bolt closed. If I loaded them with 8 rounds they worked fine.

You can send them back. They have good customer service

Gringo Bandito
01-06-2007, 6:25 PM
You can send them back. They have good customer service

This may be a stupid question but is there a break in period for some mags? If there is I might just hang on to these to see if they get better after being worn in.

gose
01-06-2007, 6:28 PM
This may be a stupid question but is there a break in period for some mags? If there is I might just hang on to these to see if they get better after being worn in.

The springs will wear and get softer with use, but if I can't seat a mag with 10 rounds on a closed bolt I'm sending it back...

edit: In this case it wont change with use, since the follower hits the indentations inside the mag.

Blacktail 8541
01-06-2007, 9:24 PM
If you like the mags, take .20 off the bottom of the follower and you will be able to seat w/ 10 rounds and your chambering problems will go away.

Gringo Bandito
01-06-2007, 10:42 PM
If you like the mags, take .20 off the bottom of the follower and you will be able to seat w/ 10 rounds and your chambering problems will go away.

Very much appreciate that information. Nothing a feeler gauge and a file cannot solve.

ghost
01-06-2007, 11:09 PM
i have 10 round c products mags too,i hope they work as good as they look.i`ll be trying mine tomorrow at the chabot range.

catsupsam
01-06-2007, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. I can only seat with nine as well. If it solves the problem, it'll be an easy fix.

tenpercentfirearms
01-07-2007, 1:30 AM
On the 10/30 mags, you might find some of them only seat 9 rounds. It is much better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. I guess I could start advertising them as 9 round magazines and then if you get a 10th round consider it a bonus! :D

As far as the function of the 10/30 magazines, I have found that if you take the spring out and rotate it 90 degrees (not end over end), they actually seem to work better. I don't know why. Just remember, the floor plate slides off and you do not have to bend the bottom tabs out to get that floorplate off! I had a customer lose his floor plate when he was trying to bend the bottom tabs back into place!!! :eek:

gose
01-07-2007, 9:34 AM
On the 10/30 mags, you might find some of them only seat 9 rounds. It is much better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. I guess I could start advertising them as 9 round magazines and then if you get a 10th round consider it a bonus! :D
As far as the function of the 10/30 magazines, I have found that if you take the spring out and rotate it 90 degrees (not end over end), they actually seem to work better. I don't know why. Just remember, the floor plate slides off and you do not have to bend the bottom tabs out to get that floorplate off! I had a customer lose his floor plate when he was trying to bend the bottom tabs back into place!!! :eek:

Yeah, if they are advertised as 10/30 they should take 10 rounds. If they would have advertised it like a 9/30 rounds mag I would have been fine :)

On a side note.. if you can disassemble the mag and modify it, is the mag really "permanently" altered?

Santa Cruz Armory
01-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Side note:

I placed an order on 12/8 or 12/9, they charged my card on 12/11, I waited...nothing received. I emailed twice, no response, I called and left a message, no response. Finally when I faxed a request for order status I received a call back from Larry last weekend. He told me he was going to the plant on Tuesday (1/2/07) and he assured me he would "personally take care of it"...still nothing in the mail.

I hope that this all works out, because I have always heard good things about C Products...We'll see.

catsupsam
01-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Over on ar15.com, Larry mentions he is at the SHOT show and will return to business afterwards.

Mag_Rat
01-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Well mine holds 10 rounds :) so i'm good.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-07-2007, 4:22 PM
Can we buy the C-Product folllowers seperately? I lke the design and want to try them on some other mages I have.

catsupsam
01-07-2007, 4:47 PM
I'm looking at my CProducts 10 rounders, and they are Magpul's Generation II followers. You and buy them on many online stores.

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_98&products_id=198

Prc329
01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Are the CPoducts 10 rounders go flush or extend past the bottom, any picks?

gose
01-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Well mine holds 10 rounds :) so i'm good.

Yeah, mine holds ten as well, but the problem I have is that I can't seat it on a closed bolt like I can with the bushmaster mags.

Prc329
01-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I have the same issue with my 20 round mags. I upgraded my old straight body colt mags with some curved cproduct bodies and magpul followers. I was told in another thread that it was spring tension causing the problem.

SpeedTribe
01-09-2007, 6:36 PM
I just tested all 17 of my CProducts 10rd mags (10 from Wes and the rest direct from CProducts) and each one holds 10rds.
No problems at all with the ones I have taken to the range either.
As far as having a problem inserting the mag on a closed bolt, you do have to give them a firm Tap to get them seated.

gose
01-09-2007, 6:51 PM
I just tested all 17 of my CProducts 10rd mags (10 from Wes and the rest direct from CProducts) and each one holds 10rds.
No problems at all with the ones I have taken to the range either.
As far as having a problem inserting the mag on a closed bolt, you do have to give them a firm Tap to get them seated.

Just to clarify.. we're only talking about the 10/30 rounds magazines, ie blocked 30 round mags.
The problem with those mags seem to be that the indentations/tabs are cut to high, so the follower hits them too early. I can just barely get 10 rounds into the mag, but since the follower then rests on the tabs, there is no way in hell it will seat on a closed bolt.
It's not about the spring, follower or mag body, it's all about C-Products being too conservative, a few millimeters down and the mags would have been just fine.
You're more than welcome to come and try and seat my mag with a firm tap with the follower resting on the tabs ;)

RossRinSD
01-09-2007, 7:15 PM
on the 10/30 mag...

You could just reach in with a small screwdriver and bend the tab down a little lower.

What would happen if you accidentally broke the tab? Is there something else that will limit the follower from going farther down? I suppose I could take the bottom plate off and look, but I didn't want to scratch anything...

Prc329
01-09-2007, 7:19 PM
Does the 10 round mag sit flush with the bottom of the receiver?

A324
01-09-2007, 7:22 PM
I bought several of the C products 10/30 mags and noticed all the springs were covered with what appeared to be brown rust. I cleaned them best I could with CLP and assembled back together. Is this normal for these mags or should I replace the springs?

gose
01-09-2007, 7:25 PM
on the 10/30 mag...

You could just reach in with a small screwdriver and bend the tab down a little lower.

What would happen if you accidentally broke the tab? Is there something else that will limit the follower from going farther down? I suppose I could take the bottom plate off and look, but I didn't want to scratch anything...

No, there is nothing else stopping the follower, so I'm slightly worried that these mags aren't very "permanently" modified.

I was thinking of bending the tabs as well, but was worried that the spring would get caught or that they would brake.

RossRinSD
01-09-2007, 7:33 PM
No, there is nothing else stopping the follower, so I'm slightly worried that these mags aren't very "permanently" modified.

I was thinking of bending the tabs as well, but was worried that the spring would get caught or that they would brake.

I'm curious as to why you purchased your 10/30... My dad told me the regular 10 round was too short when shooting with a particular body position... After I bought the 10/30 he told me he had a box of old 30 round mags in the garage somewhere. So, we are cleaning out the garage this weekend right after we put my lowers together... But, are they legal to use in CA?

Prc329
01-09-2007, 7:35 PM
On a featureless build yes.

gose
01-09-2007, 7:44 PM
I'm curious as to why you purchased your 10/30... My dad told me the regular 10 round was too short when shooting with a particular body position... After I bought the 10/30 he told me he had a box of old 30 round mags in the garage somewhere. So, we are cleaning out the garage this weekend right after we put my lowers together... But, are they legal to use in CA?

If they are your dad's you can only use them if he is with you at the range. He doesn't have to be within arm's reach, but should be fairly close and at least have you in sight (no pun intended). If they are yours then you can use them how/when/where ever you want, as long as you have a registered rifle or one without evil features.

The reason for getting the 10/30 mag was to get something long enough to monopod off when shooting prone. Starting a stage with anything less than 10+1 is silly and so is reloading with a mag with 9 rounds.

tenpercentfirearms
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Ok, lets clear some things up.

First, anyone who says you should just put a small screw driver in there and bend the tabs has never done such a thing themself. I HAVE stuck a large screw driver into the magazine and tried to bend the tabs. I was only able to get one to budge ever so slightly, but I broke the follower in the process. These tabs don't just "bend". I tried, I tried, and I tried to get them to bend and I was not very successful.

You can stick a screw driver into your mag and try to get it to bend down a bit more so you can fit ten rounds, but do so at your own risk. You will most likely screw up your follower long before you ever screw up those tabs. I will not be replacing any magazines that have been molested.

I will probably also put a disclaimer in my sales section saying they might not be a true 10 rounder so people can stop being disappointed that they lose a round.

I also e-mailed LJ at C Products and he said that anyone who has any problems with their magazines should mail them back for a no charge replacement to:

C Products
28 Harvard Street
New Britain, CT 06051

bonjing
01-13-2007, 4:07 PM
I bought several of the C products 10/30 mags and noticed all the springs were covered with what appeared to be brown rust. I cleaned them best I could with CLP and assembled back together. Is this normal for these mags or should I replace the springs?

The springs you have are ythe chrome-silicone springs. the rust that forms on them is normal. from the cproducts website:

Q: Chrome silicon spring versus 17/7 stainless?
A: Every spring will take a set when compressed. A 17/7 stainless spring in a 20 or 30 round magazine will take a set the first time it is compressed and will continue to do so each time the magazine is reloaded eventually losing its load. A chrome silicon spring will take a set the first time and maintain that load each time the magazine is reloaded.
Q: Will a chrome silicon spring rust?
A: Yes, initially it will develop a slight film which will not affect the function of the spring.

naimad
01-14-2007, 3:59 PM
where's the Q & A explaining why C products 10/30's wont hold 10 rounds?

crock of crap if you ask me

I understand where your coming from if its a 10 round mag it should hold 10 rounds. I think the problem is the magpul grey followers i rebulit some of my 30 rounders with these followers and the last round is hard to get in their if you worried about that tenth round install a green follower that should take care of the problem.I like the magpul followers alot better they seem more reliable.

gose
01-15-2007, 8:09 AM
I got a reply from Barry today and he said to return non-functioning mags to him and he would personally inspect them and make sure I received a working product. Looks promising...

bobothebigdog
01-27-2007, 3:00 PM
Anything new about the 10/30 mags? Has anyone received a working replacements?