PDA

View Full Version : Alameda County Sheriff's Testing Process

omgwtfbbq
07-21-2011, 1:38 PM
Hey there calgun LEOs. This morning I got an email from Alemada County Human resources in response to my application for their Deputy Recruit opening saying I have been accepted into the written exam portion of selection. I don't really don't know what is included in the written test so I'm asking anyone here who either has done the test for Alameda County or who has done similar exams what I should prepare for.

I took the Border Patrol Agent written exam earlier this year and was moved to the physical and oral board selection process but urging from my fiance and parents lead to me terminating my consideration voluntarily. I did very well on their test as it was mainly just logical reason questions. Is the same true for local departments?

Also if anyone has gone through the physical testing at the academy in Alameda county, what is the obstacle course like. I think I have a decent 500 yard run. and the fence climbs shouldn't be too difficult, nor the weight drag... My only real concern is the obstacle course because I have no idea what it includes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GoodMourning
07-21-2011, 6:19 PM
I too received an email from Alameda this morning. I don't really have any information to add, but I would basically just like to second all of the questions already asked. My biggest concern is the physical test. It's not that I'm super out of shape or anything, but I just have no idea what to expect. I would really like to begin training for it as soon as possible, and so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Falconis
07-21-2011, 8:16 PM
Most written tests are to make sure you have basic reading, writing, and comprehension skills. If you passed the border patrol test, you should be fine.

As far as the physical test, if you arent running AND working out, you're already behind the curve.

Sorry, wish I could be more specific, but it's been a while since I have taken any tests.

omgwtfbbq
07-21-2011, 11:25 PM
The stated pre-entrance physical test for the training center online says: 500 yard run, chain link fence climb, solid fence climb, 165lbs weight drag (32 ft) and 90 yard obstacle course.

I'm only concerned with the obstacle course because I don't know what's on it.

BigDogatPlay
07-21-2011, 11:55 PM
The stated pre-entrance physical test for the training center online says: 500 yard run, chain link fence climb, solid fence climb, 165lbs weight drag (32 ft) and 90 yard obstacle course.

This is pretty much the basic POST standard. You'll do it at the beginning of the academy and at the end, plus plenty of times in between.

I'm only concerned with the obstacle course because I don't know what's on it.

Expect a hurdle or three, walking a balance beam, maybe a pipe crawl, stuff like that. The obstacle courses are usually pretty straightforward. The obstacle course when I went through the academy (a long time ago) was 60 yards with a six foot wood fence, a balance beam walk, tires and a six foot chain link fence. If the test is going to be given at their training facility, go out ahead of time and scope the course out.

Or call the recruiter and ask... :D

As above... you should be running a few times a week and doing some light lifting now. If not, you're going to be at a disadvantage to well prepared candidates as all these events could well be timed.