PDA

View Full Version : Am I nitpicking or does this buffer tube not look right to you?

James R.
01-06-2007, 1:48 PM
I bought this RRA buttstock and it comes with the buffer, buffer spring and buffer tube. I've bought a few of these RRA ones in the past and every part of it was anodized.

This one I got in an order yesterday looks funky to me...it only has good ano on the threads, everywhere else it seems like borderline exposed aluminum. The inside of the buffer tube is totally devoid of any obvious black ano either. Along the edge of the tube where it meets with the stock and lower receiver it's as if there might have been some ano on there cause you can see flashes of it...but it rubs off with a little fingernail action.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/BufferTube1.jpg

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/BufferTube2.jpg

Regards,

James R.

slickjoesd
01-06-2007, 1:54 PM
looks unfinished

James R.
01-06-2007, 2:02 PM
looks unfinished

Just seems odd to me that somehow magically only the threads would have gotten anodized, not even sure how this made it thru QC no less shipped to me.

I just wanted to make sure there isn't some new finish technology in buffer tubes that I'm not aware of :-P

I think the seller will make things right if it turns out this really is a messed up example of a buffer tube which I believe it is based on my previous experience with all things buffer tube.

Regards,

James R.

WokMaster1
01-06-2007, 2:14 PM
James, isn't that the "new" Naked (tm) finish that just came out?:D

stator
01-06-2007, 2:17 PM
That looks normal for an A2 buffer tube. The M16A2 looks similar but somewhat darker grey on the exterior. Maybe it is your camera?

James R.
01-06-2007, 3:00 PM
That looks normal for an A2 buffer tube. The M16A2 looks similar but somewhat darker grey on the exterior. Maybe it is your camera?

Really? The last RRA's I got looked like this...

http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15-M16Parts/BS-10_2.jpg

If the link doesn't work cut and paste it http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15-M16Parts/BS-10_2.jpg

Regards,

James R.

dw1784
01-06-2007, 3:23 PM
+1 unfinished.
I would let them know though- whether it's from a tier2 vendor or from a rejected contract, their QC/QA and planners needs to know these things. Helps their ISO/TQM and gov't certs.

PIRATE14
01-06-2007, 3:33 PM
There's anodized, then there's anodized. The lighter gray is what milspec look like under the buttstock: flat gray to flat dark gray.

Normally RRA don't come w/ that of type of MILSPEC finish....it looks like the gray coating which should also be on the inside of your upper rcvr.

LMT tubes have that color, and a few COLTS......

So u got a MILSPEC piece......or at least that is what I can tell from the pics.

PIRATE14
01-06-2007, 3:35 PM
Just seems odd to me that somehow magically only the threads would have gotten anodized, not even sure how this made it thru QC no less shipped to me.

I just wanted to make sure there isn't some new finish technology in buffer tubes that I'm not aware of :-P

I think the seller will make things right if it turns out this really is a messed up example of a buffer tube which I believe it is based on my previous experience with all things buffer tube.

Regards,

James R.

The MILSPEC jobs normally leave the threads uncoated.......

PIRATE14
01-06-2007, 3:39 PM
Just use it and it'll be fine and you won't see it.....

LMT collapsable tubes are this grey color.......people wank cause it's not black........but it's what it should be.....:eek:

James R.
01-06-2007, 3:44 PM
Normally RRA don't come w/ that of type of MILSPEC finish....it looks like the gray coating which should also be on the inside of your upper rcvr.

LMT tubes have that color, and a few COLTS......

So u got a MILSPEC piece......or at least that is what I can tell from the pics.

Here's a comparo of the Upper/Lower Vs the Tube. Just seems really odd to have ano on the threads and little spatterings of it on the shoulder while the rest of the tube is naked. Actually the last RRA buttstock I bought I got from you...it was jet black all over the tube.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/AnoComparo.jpg

Regards,

James R.

James R.
01-06-2007, 4:04 PM
Just use it and it'll be fine and you won't see it.....

LMT collapsable tubes are this grey color.......people wank cause it's not black........but it's what it should be.....:eek:

Hrmm, I suppose. It's not true that you can't see it though...you can see it where the buttstock meets the receiver and it kinda looks like @$$ ;-) My concern is more that it a.) looks unfinished so might corrode and b.) the threads got ano but the rest doesn't get black ano? What possibly could be the point of that? Maybe the grey ano wouldn't thread well or it'd bind...frankly I dunno. It's just not like any of the buffer tubes I've ever gotten from you or Magpul for that matter.

Regards,

James R.

James R.
01-06-2007, 4:35 PM
OK, I'll trade you a gloss black anodized aluminim receiver extension (buffer tube) for you're gray milspec anodized receiver extension.

Now Now...I just wanted to make sure is all. Don't want bare aluminum floating around in there since it can corrode and all. If you say this is how milspec tubes look I'll take your word for it. I just can't seem to find any other examples that look like this one.

Regards,

James R.

JeepRescueService14
01-06-2007, 6:23 PM
Last I remember, aluminum is pretty rust resistant...:D

SemiAutoSam
01-06-2007, 6:40 PM
That is correct aluminum does not Rust as only items made of Iron rust.

But it does corrode its called oxidation .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox

Last I remember, aluminum is pretty rust resistant...:D

NeoWeird
01-06-2007, 6:52 PM
Just because it's "naked" doesn't mean it's "in the white". Anodizing is clear unless it is dyed, which it IS dyed black for AR parts. If part of it is anodized it MAY be completely anodized and just not dyed. What probably happened is it either got anodized and not completely dyed or it got only partially dyed; both are likely from not being full submerged in either finishing process (or both if done at the same time).

You can always contact RRA and just let them know and see what they say. It can't hurt to ask...

cornholio1
01-06-2007, 6:57 PM
Heres the buffer extension tube I just got in. Its gray and has marks from me tying it out in a A2 The threads are black.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/IMG_2265.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/IMG_2266.jpg

6172crew
01-06-2007, 7:21 PM
My LMT upper and buffer tube was rigged with a dry lube and it was light grey like your tube.

Funny thing is your tube dosnt need lube and not all LMT uppers look like mine....which has a light grey spray paint inside.:)

PIRATE14
01-06-2007, 9:05 PM
Now Now...I just wanted to make sure is all. Don't want bare aluminum floating around in there since it can corrode and all. If you say this is how milspec tubes look I'll take your word for it. I just can't seem to find any other examples that look like this one.

Regards,

James R.

It's not bare, it is anodized black and than they put that greyish dry lube stuff on it......believe it or not that costs more so that is why they normally just have the anodized finish....

Every now and than one of these ol mil jobs float into the system either when they run out or they have guys that don't know any different.

I know....you have to look at that grey ring nxt the black reciever but it will still work.

James R.
01-07-2007, 2:01 AM
Heres the buffer extension tube I just got in. Its gray and has marks from me tying it out in a A2 The threads are black.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/IMG_2265.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/IMG_2266.jpg

That looks a hell of a lot nicer than my example...that's a deeper more uniform grey. The grey I have is almost so light that you might as well just call it clear. It very well may be clear anodize.

Regards,

James R.

James R.
01-07-2007, 2:29 PM
I figured screw it, I'll throw a tiny bit of matte black paint over the part where the extension meets the receiver and call it a day. So when I went to prep the part I soaked a paper towel with Acetone and started to wipe it down. I noticed the towel was turning grey with a quickness so I stopped and only focused on the threaded area and the shoulder of the extension...it is indeed jet black anodized under whatever spray/dip type coating was on there.

Problem solved, happy as a clam. I'm leaving it as it is with the shoulder cleaned up. I suspect the dry lube or whatever is probably beneficial, so no sense in taking it off on the inside / outside. The area I rubbed off sees no conditions that should need for it to be lubricated.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/BufferTube3.jpg

Regards,

James R.

tenpercentfirearms
01-07-2007, 5:07 PM
That is what I suspected. The tactical muzzle brakes I receive from Rock River look like that and all it takes is plain old gun oil to get them looking like black again. I suspect your tube might be the same way.

Nope it is not. Since I am the shady dealer ( ;) ) that sold him this tube, I went in the back and the last A2 I have is the same way. I tried rubbing oil on it and it stays gray. I guess you would have to use some kind of cleaner like the acetone.

So I have one more mil-spec A2 buttstock and tube left, anyone want it? The price for mil-spec gray sets is now $75. No one wants that crappy looking black stuff that isn't truly mil-spec! :p

I am glad you are satisified James. Now I just need to wrap that baby a little better in the Stag box and you would have no complaints. I will work on that.

James R.
01-07-2007, 6:14 PM
That is what I suspected. The tactical muzzle brakes I receive from Rock River look like that and all it takes is plain old gun oil to get them looking like black again. I suspect your tube might be the same way.

Nope it is not. Since I am the shady dealer ( ;) ) that sold him this tube, I went in the back and the last A2 I have is the same way. I tried rubbing oil on it and it stays gray. I guess you would have to use some kind of cleaner like the acetone.

So I have one more mil-spec A2 buttstock and tube left, anyone want it? The price for mil-spec gray sets is now $75. No one wants that crappy looking black stuff that isn't truly mil-spec! :p

I am glad you are satisified James. Now I just need to wrap that baby a little better in the Stag box and you would have no complaints. I will work on that.

I'm totally satisfied for the record, the scratches on the stock can be overlooked...I was just handing out advice for the future. On the extension, having looked at it though you can probably see what I meant, it looks really funny...almost like unfinished aluminum. I tried rubbing it with oil, that does nothing. A little acetone on a rag will clean that edge right up. Looks like I got the best of both worlds...got it to look like I wanted it to and got the lubricity of the higher quality piece.

Heh, I even worked out my safe problem...took some very creative re-arrangement to fit all of those long guns in there. Getting any given gun out is a real PITA, but they're all safe and locked up...

I'll post a picture of it when it's all done, still waiting on my Magpul trigger guard and the JP Custom safety I ordered for it...it's a stupid expensive safety but the quality cannot be beat. Machined paddles and you can adjust out all of the creep. Seems to reduce trigger overtravel as well...it does not however work well with the RRA 2 Stage trigger, Single Stage only unless you want to have the cam modified...which took MONTHS to have done, that's a whole other story.

Regards,

James R.

PS - Death to DPMS, I bought one of their LPK's and it came with a bent mag catch. I didn't notice it was bent until I got it on the receiver and saw how it wasn't square with the side. Suffice it to say smacking that pin out is a lot harder than getting it in. I had to make my own bubba punch to hammer it out from the other side. You take a 3/32" allen key...grind it to 3/32" round...then you grind a channel into the back of the thing opposite the L of the wrench. That channel should be bout 1/2 the thickness of the metal. Heat it over a stove till glowing and quench it to re-harden the metal. Tape up the receiver real well and have at it with a brass hammer. Got the thing out w/o a single nick or scratch. There is a special punch for this, but I was in a hurry and didn't mind ruining a $1 allen key to protect a $150 receiver.

tenpercentfirearms
01-07-2007, 9:59 PM
The Pirates of CWS taught me a long time ago, skip DPMS if you want to keep the customers happy. Little did I know he is the king of DPMS repacks. :eek:

James R.
01-08-2007, 12:04 AM
The Pirates of CWS taught me a long time ago, skip DPMS if you want to keep the customers happy. Little did I know he is the king of DPMS repacks. :eek:

Well it hasn't been all bad, I've bought 3 DPMS LPK's from Midway USA (2 of em) and 1 from Brownells. They were the sort which came in the plastic blister pack with an A2 grip...not the gun show looking re-bags you're probably talking about. Everything has been flawless with the exception of that mag catch. I got DPMS to send me a new one when they sent back my bull barrel upper. Well actually they replaced the entire upper because a.) the gas block was canted and b.) the finish of the receiver was IMHO shoddy...it had a run in the anodize and this odd roughness below the ejection port. They agreed and replaced it, but not until after ignoring me for weeks because they were filling a contract job *grrrrr*.

Regards,

James R.