PDA

View Full Version : Inherited guns from father.

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Hello everyone,

I have an extensive collection of guns I inherited from my father when he passed away in 2005.
his collection is more than I need at this point in my life and I want to sell some... I have always been hesitant with registering anything because of the mixed information I have ran into over the years.

I want to know what kind of hassle am I gonna run into for not registering the handguns within that 30 day period I have been reading about when inheriting guns in CA?

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 12:57 AM
FYI:
I am not a felon or a criminal and I want to be able to take my dads guns to the range legally. (which I haven't done ever)

please help.

Nick

Librarian
07-21-2011, 1:15 AM
Not much problem. You should have filed the OPLAW form and $19 for all the handguns.

'Normal' long guns need no paper.

The AR-pattern rifle, possibly, is a serious problem - as in felony.

Please read this article at the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Possession_of_UNregistered_California_%22assault_w eapons%22

At this point it does not matter if it were registered, because registered 'assault weapons' may not be transferred to non-FFLs in CA.

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 1:36 AM
the ar issue aside...

you say I should have filed the oplaw form for the handguns... can I do that now? will i be fined or penalized?

if so what kind of penalties or fines?

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:00 AM
I plan on doing whatever I gotta do to legitimately sell most of these guns so any helpful info in regards to my situation would be more than appreciated.

mag360
07-21-2011, 4:49 AM
no penalties or fines on the handgun stuff. You could just sell the handguns out of state, as you learn more about the "ar pattern" rifle, you may be able to configure that legal for CA. if not, you could sell that out of state as well.

we need more CA gun owners willing to fight! support CGF, NRA, CRPA!!

KaliCruiser
07-21-2011, 4:52 AM
What types are you wanting to sell

Santa Cruz Armory
07-21-2011, 5:32 AM

Ditto :D

WDE91
07-21-2011, 8:11 AM
Please unless you are really hard up for money keep your Dads firearms

Stonewalker
07-21-2011, 9:36 AM
Please unless you are really hard up for money keep your Dads firearms

I have to throw in my two-cents here as well... guns can be family heirlooms. You should do whatever you can to keep them in the family. I hope the wiki is able to help you out.

Flintlock Tom
07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
I plan on doing whatever I gotta do to legitimately sell most of these guns so any helpful info in regards to my situation would be more than appreciated.

Before you start selling firearms you should definitely resolve any and all legal issues. I would suggest that you go ahead and file the form for the handguns with the DoJ: Operation of Law (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)
Also, you should have had a Handgun Safety Certificate before you "acquired" the handguns. If you do not have that, go get one now. (You should do this before filing the OpLaw form)
In the field for Date Acquired I would put the date you got them and wait for the DoJ to ask about it (unlikely). If they do ask simply tell them when your father passed away you were not aware of the requirement.
Second, you should find someone with AR knowledge to evaluate any long guns for possible AW violations, then do what seems appropriate.

SDS-Ruger
07-21-2011, 1:11 PM

same hear:D

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:24 PM
you guys are very helpful... thank you... I will keep the guns I will have the most fun shooting... and I will go get my safety certificate before I submit that form.
thanks for all the info...

as for selling them once this is all said and done... how am I able to sell out of state? I mean is there an EBAY for guns? lol.. should I fedex it ?
honestly fellas how can I get the top dollar for these guns and not find myself in any legal BS?

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:28 PM
I have to throw in my two-cents here as well... guns can be family heirlooms. You should do whatever you can to keep them in the family. I hope the wiki is able to help you out.

Thanks man... I realize these are passed down to me and I love them but I don't need these... and I want to get this red tape BS out of the way so when I move into my own spot I can transport what I DO keep out of this collection with the piece of mind that I am not breaking any laws that will end up costing me more than I could make right now selling some.

But on that note I plan on keeping at least 4-6 guns for myself.

SoCal Bob
07-21-2011, 4:30 PM
Calguns has a very active marketplace section so that might be your first step. Rifles and shotguns 50 years old, or older, can be sold face to face without going to an 01FFL. Handguns and rifles/shotguns less than 50 years old must be transferred through an 01FFL.

You may want to look at Gunbroker.com for out of state sales.

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:32 PM
as for what I am considering selling... a 30/30, a couple of 9mm, 44magnum, 38 special, 357, some 22s. and probably a couple other that I am not thinking of. the AR probably when I do some further research on weather it meets requirements.

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:33 PM
Calguns has a very active marketplace section so that might be your first step. Rifles and shotguns 50 years old, or older, can be sold face to face without going to an 01FFL. Handguns and rifles/shotguns less than 50 years old must be transferred through an 01FFL.

You may want to look at Gunbroker.com for out of state sales.

excellent! thanks man.

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:34 PM
whats the best and simplest way for me to get my safety certificate?

aklover_91
07-21-2011, 4:35 PM
Go to a gunstore that sells handguns, say you want to take the HSC test, and they'll give it to you.

I think the fee is ~$20, and the test is just a thirty odd question multiple choice thing.

If you pass, and you should, the card is valid for five years.

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:37 PM
no penalties or fines on the handgun stuff. You could just sell the handguns out of state, as you learn more about the "ar pattern" rifle, you may be able to configure that legal for CA. if not, you could sell that out of state as well.

we need more CA gun owners willing to fight! support CGF, NRA, CRPA!!

is there a inherit advantage to selling out of state for me?

SoCal Bob
07-21-2011, 4:37 PM
the AR aside, it looks like all of those could be sold through the marketplace on Calguns. Handguns that are not on the DOJ "safe list" would need to be a face to face (FTF) private party transfer (PPT) at an 01FFL.

Any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds should be taken apart and may be included with the firearm as a parts kit. Rifles and shotguns could be shipped from an FFL to another FFL pretty much anywhere.

1Fastrider
07-21-2011, 4:39 PM
You can go your local gunshop and take the multiple guess test. It's very easy. If you don't know a local shop, post up a general location and I'm sure we can help you find one.

SoCal Bob
07-21-2011, 4:40 PM
Here is a link to the Turner's website where you can watch the HSC video or download the study guide.

http://www.turners.com/engage/video_study_guide.php

aklover_91
07-21-2011, 4:40 PM
is there a inherit advantage to selling out of state for me?

Not really, just a wider market.

Just keep in mind that any firearm (save the C&R exemption noted above) transferred in California needs to be transferred by a gun store, and any gun sold to a buyer out of state needs to be shipped to a gun store.

That doesn't mean a private person can't buy it, he just needs to give you the address and information of the gun store that he'll go to to pick it up.

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:45 PM
You can go your local gunshop and take the multiple guess test. It's very easy. If you don't know a local shop, post up a general location and I'm sure we can help you find one.

I am in the NORTHRIDGE AREA.

Shogun3001
07-21-2011, 4:47 PM
Here is a link to the Turner's website where you can watch the HSC video or download the study guide.

http://www.turners.com/engage/video_study_guide.php

EXCELLENT.

its like you guys are bringing me up to speed real quick!
I thank you a great deal.