View Full Version : Laser Range Finders?

07-20-2011, 8:17 PM
Hope this is the right section. I'd like to find one (preferably used), I just want a low end one for target practice and what not. Does anyone know the difference between the golf ones in comparison to the hunting ones? Maybe the golf ones don't go as far? Lastly what are your guys' experiences with different brands, or anything in particular I should look for if buying used. Lets just discuss range finders so I can soak in your knowledge!

07-20-2011, 9:31 PM
Just my 2 cents...

I've used the gamut of the LRF on the market from Leica Geovids (my personal favorites) to the Bushnells (leave something to be desired).

I currently use the Leica CRF1200 and I do really enjoy the small package.

With that said, the only difference I notice between the golf and hunting versions is the distance scanned.

The lower quality models are a little more finicky with the atmosphere conditions (mirage/fog/rain/snow) and reflective object. The higher quality models are less finicky. However, if you plan on using the optic for sub-400yd targets, either hunting or golf models should work fine.

Buying used is just that, WYSIWYG, nothing changes.

Top flight models are Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss IMO.

You get what you pay for.....YMMV

07-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the input! I'm guessing 90% of its use would be 400 yards and in. Although I guess occasionally I would like it to go out to 800 or so. Are the lower (ish) end ones capable of that distance in decent weather?

I really am not wanting to spend ALOT of money, I know you get what you pay for and thats ok. I don't need it to snipe people at 1200 yards when the SHTF... lol. So who has experience with the middle of the road and lower end brands?

07-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for starting this - I was going to ask the exact same question with only a minor difference. I plan to use mine while bow hunting this year, and rifle hunting in the future. I don't plan to shoot out past ~300 yards with my current equipment.

But why are golf ones as cheap as ~$15 dollars and hunting ones not really any lower than $120?

07-20-2011, 11:32 PM
i had a refurb nikon 800yder that was great for $200 ymmv, its not a Leica, but may fit your need

07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nikon+laser+range+finder&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3837657719&ref=pd_sl_22fz8pths0_b some stuff here i orig got mine from natchez

07-21-2011, 5:58 AM
I got a Nikon 550 with a prostaff scope as a package and for your needs it should work fine. It doesn't do incline decline but for bench shooting u shouldn't need that. I'm not selling mine but u can get that one for pretty cheap brand new I got the scope and rangefinder for $250 so u do the math

07-21-2011, 6:53 AM
I have a Swarovski that I bought 7 or 8 years ago. I bought the best I could afford as I viewed it as a one time purchase and I expect it to last a very long time. So far it has performed flawlessly and it adds a great deal of confidence to the long shots.

07-21-2011, 7:45 PM
TBH, I haven't spent any real time behind the golf-LRF, but I would venture to guess something on the order of waterproof-ness, armoring etc?

Best thing to do then is to determine what works within your budget confines and then go from there....

Leupolds come to mind...

07-21-2011, 8:20 PM
if you want to us it for serous hunting get the Laica RF1200.

07-22-2011, 10:20 AM
I recently picked this one up I like it so far.

07-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Have you ever thought about using the riflescope's reticle to estimate the range? Check out this range finding riflescope reticle:

07-22-2011, 1:03 PM
I use geovids and have owned the leica 1200 (old model, not the new compact model). The leicas are great but pricey. I have not been thrilled with the bushnell models I've tried. I recently purchased a Leupold to have as a backup (and out of curiosity). If leica/Zeiss/swaro is out of your budget, take a look at the Leupold offerings.

07-22-2011, 1:42 PM
Have you ever thought about using the riflescope's reticle to estimate the range? Check out this range finding riflescope reticle:

My main use for this would be random target aquisition to use with my M1 garand which is battle sighted. Therefore I can range a target, then adjust elevation drum on M1 and fire accurately with first shot. If I had a scope rifle I would look into a milspec scope with reticles to use.

07-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Check out Cabelas...I believe some models are on sale for the time being...

Just sayin....