PDA

View Full Version : Bullet-Button AR Magazine Question

rideHPD
07-20-2011, 8:06 PM
Today a friend of mine told me that when he went in to a California Police Supply in San Diego (not sure which one) with his CA legal OLL AR the guy behind the desk told him that AWs with a magazine release that requires a tool to operate, ie the Bullet Button, are supposed to have the magazine in at all times unless the rifle is being reloaded or LEOs can seize the weapon/cite you/arrest you/perform miscellaneous voodoo/etc. I do not know in what jurisdiction he was referring to specifically or CA in aggregate, but is this true? I really don't feel like being rolled over this when I do everything else by the book. Thanks for your time.

Don the savage
07-20-2011, 8:12 PM
FUD
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=429902

rideHPD
07-20-2011, 8:58 PM
That's what I told him, that there is no CA law stating as such, or further defining a tool as it pertains to AWCA, and that the only thing I could think of that might require you to keep a mag in would be local zoning legislation, which would be absolutely absurd.

Cokebottle
07-20-2011, 9:02 PM
Common misunderstanding.
"Able to have a magazine attached" does not equal "Capable of accepting a detachable magazine"

But... this misunderstanding is so common that I do indeed transport my featured builds with a plain-jane 10 rounder locked in, bolt locked back, and dust cover open.

As soon as I arrive at my destination, the 10 rounder is dropped and I shoot with my 10/30s.