PDA

View Full Version : 922r question

HKMadness
07-20-2011, 7:06 PM
From what i am reading online, is it true that a single to double stack magwell wasr conversion could be the difference between needing another us made part or not? I mean, isnt it 922r compliant when purchased from turners as a single stack receiver? TIA

Cokebottle
07-20-2011, 7:09 PM
With the pistol grip, 922(r) already applies. The WASR-10 should be compliant out of the box, however, I would be sure that the 3 magazine parts are not being used to meet the requirement.

HKMadness
07-20-2011, 7:28 PM
It did come w a pg, but is now a hunting type non pg stock and otherwise featureless. Do u mean the parts which make up the mag?

Cokebottle
07-20-2011, 7:54 PM
"Counted" parts of the AK pattern include the 3 components of the magazine... body, follower, and floorplate.

Some people prefer to keep as many original parts as they can when doing an AK build, so rather than changing 6 other imported parts, they view the magazines as three "freebies"

The AK has 16 counted parts. 6 must be removed, or replaced with domestic parts.

The "easy" way out is the FCG (3 parts) and the magazine (3 parts) and you're done with the imported furniture, piston, and muzzle brake.

You've removed the PG, so that's one imported part "down".

Now on the magazine specifically, if it holds 10rds or fewer, then it does not trigger 922(r). A single-stack 15rd mag would.

HKMadness
07-20-2011, 7:59 PM
So with a 30 rd foreign made mag, would it matter? Im pretty sure the single stack 10 rounder was also foreign

Cokebottle
07-20-2011, 8:20 PM
So with a 30 rd foreign made mag, would it matter? Im pretty sure the single stack 10 rounder was also foreign
30rd is non-sporting and 922(r) applies.
10rd is sporting and 922(r) does not apply absent any other triggers (such as the pistol grip).

thedrickel
07-20-2011, 8:22 PM
So you bought it with a thumbhole stock and single stack mag well, and you want to know if opening up the mag well will require you remove or replace 6 parts? I'm totally confused. It sounds really weird that they would sell it to you with a pistol grip and a single stack mag well.

Cokebottle
07-20-2011, 8:26 PM
So you bought it with a thumbhole stock and single stack mag well, and you want to know if opening up the mag well will require you remove or replace 6 parts? I'm totally confused. It sounds really weird that they would sell it to you with a pistol grip and a single stack mag well.
WASR-10 looks like a standard AK-47 pattern, but it uses a 10rd single stack magazine.

It's just how Century builds them.

HKMadness
07-20-2011, 9:46 PM
30rd is non-sporting and 922(r) applies.
10rd is sporting and 922(r) does not apply absent any other triggers (such as the pistol grip).

It came with pg, mag lock And singlestack mag well. Based on above stmt, 922 was triggered bc of pg and was presumably sold compliant. Making featureless and opening magwell for 30rdrs would not then trigger 922, no? Or was 922 not triggered originally since it came w a single stack well? Confused yet?

Cokebottle
07-20-2011, 9:54 PM
Single vs double stack makes no difference. Capacity is what triggers 922(r). To run a 30 rounder, it must be compliant.

Now, being featureless, you have only 5 needed parts to be compliant, if you've removed the slant brake, then only 4.
The trigger group is likely domestic (wouldn't hurt to check).
That leaves the gas piston and furniture. We know the furniture is original, so if the gas piston wasn't replaced, then we can assume they were using the magazine for compliance.

If you left the muzzle brake on, it's easy enough to swap that out for a domestic unit.

So you eliminated the PG... what buttstock configuration did you go with, or did you just remove the PG? If you switched to a domestic buttstock (including making one yourself) there's another part that's updated.

HKMadness
07-21-2011, 1:08 PM
Single vs double stack makes no difference. Capacity is what triggers 922(r). To run a 30 rounder, it must be compliant.

Now, being featureless, you have only 5 needed parts to be compliant, if you've removed the slant brake, then only 4.
The trigger group is likely domestic (wouldn't hurt to check).
That leaves the gas piston and furniture. We know the furniture is original, so if the gas piston wasn't replaced, then we can assume they were using the magazine for compliance.

If you left the muzzle brake on, it's easy enough to swap that out for a domestic unit.

So you eliminated the PG... what buttstock configuration did you go with, or did you just remove the PG? If you switched to a domestic buttstock (including making one yourself) there's another part that's updated.
Yes trigger group is domestic, furniture is original except for stock, no muzzle brake at all.

Buttstock was purchased off ebay (i believe it was made by someone in the US, not myself though). It is a thumbhole stock with a sealed thumbhole, i sealed the thumbhole personally.

HKMadness
07-21-2011, 1:10 PM
Never came with a slant brake either

stix213
07-21-2011, 2:00 PM
Dude its really pretty simple, if you've made a modification to the firearm from its imported configuration that would make it "unsporting" you have to have 10 or fewer counted foreign parts.

Use this worksheet to determine if your rifle is legal with regard to 922r. If the rifle was imported with a thumbhole stock (sporting per ATF) and now it has a pistol grip, it is also no longer sporting.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Cokebottle
07-21-2011, 7:03 PM
Dude its really pretty simple, if you've made a modification to the firearm from its imported configuration that would make it "unsporting" you have to have 10 or fewer counted foreign parts.

Use this worksheet to determine if your rifle is legal with regard to 922r. If the rifle was imported with a thumbhole stock (sporting per ATF) and now it has a pistol grip, it is also no longer sporting.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
He went the other way... removed the PG and installed a thumbhole stock.
The trigger group and buttstock are domestic, so that's 4 parts.
PG has been removed, that's 5, no muzzle device, that's 6...
It's compliant as it sits and would be legal to use high caps.

HKMadness
07-21-2011, 9:02 PM
He went the other way... removed the PG and installed a thumbhole stock.
The trigger group and buttstock are domestic, so that's 4 parts.
PG has been removed, that's 5, no muzzle device, that's 6...
It's compliant as it sits and would be legal to use high caps.

Great. Thanks, rich!

dantodd
07-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Am I missing something? I always thought that thumbhole stocks were the same (under CA AW laws) as a pistol grip.

69Mach1
07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
We are talking about Federal law. Specifically import law. For CA, the thumbhole stock on a semi auto centerfire rifle still requires a magazine lock and 10 round mag.

WASR-10's come in with TH stocks and single stack mags (10 round), and with no muzzle threads. Century converts them into two configurations as well as selling them as is with the thumhole stock (compliant). The difference in the other two configurations is the original single stack magazine or the converted mag well, using double stack magazines. Both have pistol grips attached and the thumbhole stock replaced with a standard buttstock. The US parts are the pistol grip, fire control group (3 parts), and the gas piston.

dantodd
07-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks. I thought cokebottle was saying that HK put on a thumhole stock in place of the PG he said it came with.

Cokebottle
07-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Am I missing something? I always thought that thumbhole stocks were the same (under CA AW laws) as a pistol grip.
California AW laws, yes... and his thumbhole is plugged.

But a thumbhole buttstock is still considered "sporting" and does not trigger 922(r).

But either way, his rifle is compliant.

Cokebottle
07-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks. I thought cokebottle was saying that HK put on a thumhole stock in place of the PG he said it came with.
HK said he did... but it could be the original piece.
But either way, even if the buttstock is imported, the gas piston covers it for compliance.

HKMadness
07-22-2011, 12:08 AM
HK said he did... but it could be the original piece.
But either way, even if the buttstock is imported, the gas piston covers it for compliance.

Yes, i put on a sealed th stock, removed the original stock and pg. Its the original gas piston though. Is it then to assume that if it does not say "usa" or something on the part, that it is then an imported part?

69Mach1
07-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Not necessarily. But that is one part that Century replaces on all of their WASR-10's.