PDA

View Full Version : MFI fake can review

etruscan
01-05-2007, 8:53 PM
just did a search to see if anyone else had reported on MFI and it seems there was some talk just a few days ago regarding interest,etc.. heres a brief description of the one i purchased:

About three weeks ago I purchased an MFI M4 fake silencer for my 9mm AR build. I wasn’t satisfied with how the 16” barrel looked and I wanted to do something about it. Late last summer I ran across MFI’s webpage while searching for exactly what it is that they sell. I wasn’t too keen on ordering something from them simply because of how goofy their website looked. I ended up book-marking their site figuring it might be worth a return to in the future. So, the future arrived and is shortly passed. I am overall happy with their product. The entire body of the silencer is machined from aluminum and then anodized black. The body could be two pieces but it is very hard to tell. The fake can attaches easily and solidly to the thread adaptor and your barrel. You know, it is kinda goofy to have a fake silencer on a real gun but it is California and I do what I can to get the look I want. The fake can covers the barrel and gives the gun that mean, SBR-silenced look. There are only two things I don’t really like about the KAC knock-off: 1) those little holes are drilled too deep when compared to the real KAC silencer and 2) the anodizing needs to be coated with something to give a matte finish. I have since painted it flat black. If you are considering one of MFI’s fake cans, you may want to go with their SOCOM model because of the two points I just mentioned (although the anodization issue may still arise).
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/marks11/AR9mm3.jpg
10 round limited mag, prince50 maglock.

Unfazed
01-05-2007, 9:02 PM
i purchased their SOCOM model to meet the legal length requirement for a krinkov build i've got in the works. I was pleased with the quality despite the expensive price tag.

MFI Socom fake can: $125
Owning a cali-legal krink post SB23: Priceless! :cool:

Q
01-05-2007, 9:11 PM
it looks nice. i've been thinking about a 9mm ar build also.:)

ARRRR-15
01-05-2007, 9:13 PM
What barrel length is your rifle?

etruscan
01-05-2007, 9:50 PM
What barrel length is your rifle?
my barrel? 16 inches. my particular thread adapter is about the length of an A2 FH but that can vary given the type of look you want and the length of your barrel.

tenpercentfirearms
01-05-2007, 10:24 PM
This is so on! We are going to have calguns.net fake cans!

ARRRR-15
01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
my barrel? 16 inches. my particular thread adapter is about the length of an A2 FH but that can vary given the type of look you want and the length of your barrel.

Is that your rife pictured? If so, then the "can" slips over the barrel kinda like this I made?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45005&highlight=tacticool+supressor

I'm curious because I didn't think that anyone made one this way.

etruscan
01-05-2007, 10:55 PM
yeap, thats my 9. the (fake) can just slips over the barrel OR the thread adapter. my first idea was to fab up one from scratch on my buddy's lathe. but i soon realized with no machining skills, it wouldnt be as "clean" as desired. so i took the easy/expensive route.

check them out at http://www.mfiap.com/airsoft/acce/silencer.htm

ARRRR-15
01-05-2007, 11:06 PM
yeap, thats my 9. the (fake) can just slips over the barrel OR the thread adapter. my first idea was to fab up one from scratch on my buddy's lathe. but i soon realized with no machining skills, it wouldnt be as "clean" as desired. so i took the easy/expensive route.

check them out at http://www.mfiap.com/airsoft/acce/silencer.htm

I thought the same thing about the lathe until I went here.

http://www.americanmachinetools.com/how_to_use_a_lathe.htm

I spent a couple hours reading through it then came back to it when I needed. If you have access to a lathe I would take the time and learn how to use it. You'll be surprised how quick and clean you can turn out(no pun intended) some nice parts. I've already made some cool stuff in a couple of months on mine.

Turbinator
01-06-2007, 6:13 AM

Hey, your 9mm build is very nice. Can you give us a rundown of the major parts in case we want to build up something similar?

Turby

luvtolean
01-06-2007, 6:45 AM
I just converted my 9mm to detachable mag.

Is this a flash hider?

I'm looking to screw something to the end of mine, and that looks pretty fun. In a poseur way. :D

etruscan
01-06-2007, 8:16 AM
Can you give us a rundown of the major parts in case we want to build up something similar?

Turby

sure. all of the major 9mm parts are RRA...which includes the complete upper assembly (minus the handguards), the magblock, the 9mm buffer (you need a spacer if running a rifle-length tube), and the 9mm hammer. the gun runs flawlessly.

and no, its not a flash hider. the thread adapter is a plain piece of steel threaded 1/2x36 (or 1/2x28). the fake can itself has no chambers, etc. its just a round piece of aluminum with some machining on the outside.