PDA

View Full Version : San Juan = No open carrry in City Park

valkylrie
07-20-2011, 9:23 AM
I don't live in San Juan, nor have I ever open carried. I do hate to see it when our rights are restricted. They don't care about a lawsuit then let those who support our constitution give them one...

http://www.ocregister.com/news/city-308932-gun-reeve.html

If this is a dupe sorry I tried looking but didn't see anything..

MudCamper
07-20-2011, 9:28 AM

The article incorrectly states that you can carry in state parks. Not true (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457).

WDE91
07-20-2011, 9:32 AM
"Mayor Sam Allevato, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and is a member of the National Rifle Association, said he respects Reeve's commitment to the Second Amendment but doesn't think guns belong in city parks. "
What a hypocrite

Hmm Im smelling lawsuit and they can sense it also

proclone1
07-20-2011, 10:09 AM
"Mayor Sam Allevato, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and is a member of the National Rifle Association, said he respects Reeve's commitment to the Second Amendment but doesn't think guns belong in city parks. "
What a hypocrite

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that. "I can be safe, but you can't". How very feinstein'ish of him. Of course in SJC, it's no wonder who voted him in.

Bhobbs
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Sure they may feel guns don't belong in city parks but are they willing to guarantee my life will be safe while I am in the park? If the answer is no, then they should be sued.

stix213
07-20-2011, 12:35 PM
What a hypocrite

Funny how everyone who is against the 2A always claims to be in favor of it right before they describe how they plan to strip it from you.

Maestro Pistolero
07-20-2011, 1:38 PM
Funny how everyone who is against the 2A always claims to be in favor of it right before they describe how they plan to strip it from you.Exactly: "I am a strong believer in the Second Amendment, and now I am going to say something that reveals that I neither understand the amendment, nor do I have any actual respect for it whatsoever"

Wernher von Browning
07-20-2011, 1:50 PM
Funny how everyone who is against the 2A always claims to be in favor of it right before they describe how they plan to strip it from you.

It's just like the line "Some of my best friends are _____ " (insert ethnic group).

Trailboss60
07-20-2011, 3:50 PM

Laura Ingraham calls them "but monkeys"...

I wonder if he feels equally strong about the first amendment..."I believe in the first amendment, but there is no place for political campaign signs on any public land"

I won't be holding my breath for his answer.

luckystrike
07-20-2011, 7:29 PM
san juan is a magnet for illegals and crime anyways.

hoffmang
07-20-2011, 11:58 PM
This ordinance is severely messed up. Whether UOC is preempted is an open question of law that I wouldn't want to challenge. However, it's clearly unlawful as it prohibits both 12050 licensees and POLICE from carrying in parks.

-Gene

jl123
07-21-2011, 12:01 AM
This ordinance is severely messed up. Whether UOC is preempted is an open question of law that I wouldn't want to challenge. However, it's clearly unlawful as it prohibits both 12050 licensees and POLICE from carrying in parks.

-Gene

Including police on duty?

77bawls
07-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Okay so what's Derek Reeve's user name here? :D

77bawls
07-21-2011, 12:17 AM
I don't live in San Juan, nor have I ever open carried. I do hate to see it when our rights are restricted. They don't care about a lawsuit then let those who support our constitution give them one...

Whole lot of stupid in that article. My blood would have been boiling if I was at that council meeting.

marcusrn
07-21-2011, 1:06 AM
It is common place that most mayors in "border areas" do need to carry weight!

He does indeed sound like an *** clown. marcus

franklinarmory
07-21-2011, 11:07 AM

-Gene

...and it might violate the state preemption of firearms laws regulation, 53071GC. Specifically, if the city allows cops and dignitaries to have a firearm in the park, but citizens cannot, then there is a de facto licensing scheme.

vantec08
07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
The chasm between the Ruling Class and the Great Unwashed deepens weekly.

Decoligny
07-21-2011, 11:14 AM

-Gene

Isn't that exactly what Los Angeles County does with it's current County Park ordinance?

17.04.620 Firearms and other weapons.

A person shall not bring into, discharge, or shoot any firearms, air gun, slingshot, or bow and arrow in any park except at areas designated for such purpose by the director. (Ord. 10729 7, 1973: Ord. 10309 Art. 3 34, 1971.)

There doesn't seem to be any exemption for POLICE or 12050 licensees.

paul0660
07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
The mayor and his wife:

http://www.dailylocal.com/content/articles/2010/05/16/news/srv00000082548721.jpg

AVS
07-21-2011, 1:30 PM
Speaking from first hand experience, the current Mayor of SJC is an all around good guy. We might want to try honey in this situation, instead of vinegar.