PDA

View Full Version : Fox News 2A: Gun in home, are you safer?

mrrsquared79
07-20-2011, 7:31 AM
Not sure if this has been posted, if so, dupe police I hope this ruins your day to see it posted again...

For the rest of us, Fox has asked the readers to answer a poll whether guns in the home makes us safer since we can fight back against intruders or does having a gun do nothing to make us safer.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2011/07/19/debate-does-bearing-arms-ward-off-violent-criminals/

cindynles
07-20-2011, 7:35 AM
98.67% in favor......

stix213
07-20-2011, 7:37 AM
Currently above 98% says gun makes you safer. Nice :rockon:

rromeo
07-20-2011, 7:38 AM
It's Fox News, so the idjits won't care about poll results.

Ripon83
07-20-2011, 7:44 AM
This is true, but since few sheeple pay attention theta are folks I can quote the results to who will go " wow" " really"

It's Fox News, so the idjits won't care about poll results.

BluNorthern
07-20-2011, 7:48 AM
Voted. Always take the time to support our position, no matter how insignificant and small the voice may appear to be.

Wherryj
07-20-2011, 7:49 AM
So what is wrong with the 1.32% who voted that guns make your less safe? Does having a car in your garage make you less mobile?

proclone1
07-20-2011, 7:51 AM
So what is wrong with the 1.32% who voted that guns make your less safe? Does having a car in your garage make you less mobile?

The 1.32% were the criminals breaking into peoples homes

I open carry
07-20-2011, 7:58 AM
The 1.32% were the Brady Campaign

NorCal MedTac
07-20-2011, 8:39 AM

There it is.

WDE91
07-20-2011, 8:45 AM
That video is really good
Thanks for the link

BlindRacer
07-20-2011, 9:02 AM

I think you're giving them a bit too much credit irt their member numbers.

I think I'm going to chalk most of it up to people who accidentally pressed the wrong button when voting. Yeah, that's it :cool2:

SoCal Bob
07-20-2011, 9:10 AM
One of the comments linked to this (but was miss-attributed):

"The Gun Is Civilization"

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force.
If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either
convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of
force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories,
without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through
persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and
the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as
paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use
reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or
employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal
footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with
a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload
of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical
strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force
equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if
all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a
[armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's
potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative
fiat - it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the
young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a
civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful
living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that
otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in
several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the
physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal
force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with
a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier
works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If
both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian
as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well
as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but
because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I
cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but
because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those
who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who
would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... And that's why
carrying a gun is a civilized act.

http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/why-the-gun-is-civilization/

yellowfin
07-20-2011, 9:10 AM
Does anyone other than me see a biased premise of the headline itself? It seems to ask the question in such a way as to make the reader unsure.

mdimeo
07-20-2011, 9:51 AM
One of the comments linked to this:

"The Gun Is Civilization"
By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

That essay is misattributed. It was written by Marko Kloos, at http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/

rjh4758
07-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Yep!
I remember my and a coworker were discussing firearms and shooting and another coworker walked into the conversation and I asked him if he ever went shooting. His comment was " I don't believe in guns". I asked him what he meant by that and he said " I just do not believe in guns". I said " you can not believe in Santa, the Easter bunny or even god, but guns are real and matter and not believing is not an option" and his was response was "well I don't think anyone should own guns" and he just turned and walked away. These are that small percentage that just think since they do not trust themselves around guns no one should have them and they are just evil.
Glad to see the percentage is small

1BigPea
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Voted.

It's now 97.57% in favor.

zhyla
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Why take an opinion poll for something that can be measured. Waste Of Time.

Wernher von Browning
07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
I think I'm going to chalk most of it up to people who accidentally pressed the wrong button when voting. Yeah, that's it :cool2:

And they have guns?

And they're allowed to vote? Drive? Make coffee?

Connor P Price
07-20-2011, 10:56 AM
These polls are more fun when its on an anti's site.

Wrangler John
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
My paternal grandmother (b.1860, d.1960) defended herself one evening when an attacker broke into her home. She grabbed her late husband's Colt Peacemaker and met him at the top of the stairs. He started up and she shot him dead. Feel safer, I guess, but she was safer in fact. How she felt probably wasn't discussed until after the black powder smoke cleared and the floor was mopped.

She died of natural causes one day short of her 100th birthday many years later. Guns in the home are an aid to longevity.

dad
07-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Delete yours cookies, go back and vote again:D!

curtisfong
07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
These polls are more fun when its on an anti's site.

This.

Mstrty
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Fill in the swimming pools across America. Clearly they are not a nessessity, and Kill many many more children than firearms in the home, without the added benifit of protection. :rolleyes:

TimRB
07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
In-depth, reasoned analysis presented in the article:

"Bob Beckel argued that while the right to bear arms is valid, but cited a statistic that in the last 10 years, more than 1600 children have died in homes where guns were not protected – and by comparison, 1600 burglars have not been killed."

Where do these people come from?

Tim

Wherryj
07-20-2011, 11:52 AM

Yes, but this still doesn't give us insight into what is wrong with the people. We all know that the Bradys are pretty disturbed, but there is no specific set of diagnoses as yet...

Wherryj
07-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Delete yours cookies, go back and vote again:D!

When I do this for an "anti" site, I typically consider it "tossing" the cookies.

Bill Carson
07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes - They remind potential criminals that victims can fight back. Guns are not to remind criminals of anything. Guns are to defend against them.

Mstrty
07-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Also remember when you do these votes via a link on calguns the polling collector knows what website refered the link. You should always copy the link and paste it into a blank page. Or better yet go to an Anti website and paste the link into the address bar from there. Funny if 50% of the yes votes were refered from the Brady website vs. Calguns

We have seen in the past polls closed down. This is sometimes automatic when the refering page is X% of the vote.

Be more tactical in your future votes.

almaster666
07-20-2011, 1:43 PM
I voted "yes" though I would have liked to add "responsible gun ownership" makes me feel safer.
Morons with hand-cannons scare the crap out of me.

phalanxbl
07-20-2011, 2:14 PM
I voted "yes" though I would have liked to add "responsible gun ownership" makes me feel safer.
Morons with hand-cannons scare the crap out of me.

Kinda like:
"Cars don't scare me. Drunk drivers do."

Can't blame an inanimate object for some people's bad decisions.

wash
07-20-2011, 2:46 PM
I think that's the margin of error.

InGrAM
07-20-2011, 2:48 PM
I am surprised the Fox news bashers haven't come out in full force and found something to ***** about. lol

Yaki
07-20-2011, 2:58 PM
I think the conversation with the The Five was better. Kimberly Garfoyle said she carries all the time. Everyone seemed to agree except one guy who said 1500 kids are kileed each year by guns in the home. Huh... Anyway I was glad i turned to it and the ladies were definit yes on carying firearms..

smird
07-20-2011, 3:07 PM

Well there's these two chuckle heads

tuckyjoe - 7 hours ago

I don't believe that having a gun at home will make me safer. Consider the 1.5 billion people in China--you know what? There are no guns in their homes and they are lot safer than anyone living in the US. This is all about the constant fear that the Americans always have that someone is going to get them

not american guy - 5 hours ago

Guys, are you really that crazy?
People with guns kill people.
If no one wears a gun, the kills with guns should drop.
Right, it is possible to get guns, even if it is forbidden, but that are 1 or 2 percent of people who would do that.
You can also beat down an burglar with an baseball bat.

Andy Taylor
07-20-2011, 3:09 PM
Yep!
I remember my and a coworker were discussing firearms and shooting and another coworker walked into the conversation and I asked him if he ever went shooting. His comment was " I don't believe in guns". I asked him what he meant by that and he said " I just do not believe in guns". I said " you can not believe in Santa, the Easter bunny or even god, but guns are real and matter and not believing is not an option" and his was response was "well I don't think anyone should own guns" and he just turned and walked away. These are that small percentage that just think since they do not trust themselves around guns no one should have them and they are just evil.

LOL. What I like to say to people that say "I don't believe in guns." is "I can assure you, they do, indeed, exist."

Andy Taylor
07-20-2011, 3:12 PM
Fill in the swimming pools across America. Clearly they are not a nessessity, and Kill many many more children than firearms in the home, without the added benifit of protection. :rolleyes:

They do to offer protection. The ones that encircle the home and have aligators in them at least. :D

clbshooter
07-20-2011, 3:26 PM
Does anyone remember what happened in Florida many years ago to the tourists that flew into the state and rented cars? Well if I remember correctly the BG's would wait outside the airports and follow the tourists rental car (then all rental cars had tags that identified them as rental) away from the airport and then run into them in a minor fender bender type of thing. They would all get out to exchange info and the BG's would assault them or even worse kill them. My point being that the BG's would only go after rental cars because they were not sure if the cars without rental tags had CCW permitees in the vehicle. I do not know if this has any relevance to this I just had to post it.

MasterYong
07-20-2011, 3:28 PM
A GUN in the home? Meh. Not really. It's unlikely you'll always have it around.

TWENTY GUNS in the home? That's what I call "a good start!!!"

762.DEFENSE
07-20-2011, 3:34 PM
Currently above 98% says gun makes you safer. Nice :rockon:

:thumbsup: I seriously sleep better knowing I have the means to defend myself against any aggressors whom attempt to bring harm against my loved ones of myself.

Uriah02
07-20-2011, 5:12 PM
The antis got upto 2.3% better get in there and vote!

Schrodinger's Cat
07-20-2011, 6:47 PM
I'd love to see the results of this same question asked on a variety of different news sites.

aileron
07-21-2011, 4:52 AM
These are that small percentage that just think since they do not trust themselves around guns no one should have them and they are just evil.

People that don't think they can trust themselves with a gun, make me nervous. If they can't trust themselves with a gun, why should we trust them with a car... cars can be just as dangerous as guns in the wrong hands.

Kid Stanislaus
07-21-2011, 4:58 AM
People that don't think they can trust themselves with a gun, make me nervous. If they can't trust themselves with a gun, why should we trust them with a car... cars can be just as dangerous as guns in the wrong hands.

If you don't like my driving then get off the sidewalk!!:D