PDA

View Full Version : S&W 1911 SKU # 108303 on CA approved list?

mkygod
07-20-2011, 4:36 AM
I've been trying to figure this out by searching online and while it seems that while there are a number of CalGunners that own and have purchased this model 108303 in Calfornia, there are conflicting reports on whether or not this gun is legal for sale (without the usual workarounds, ie single shot mod and PPT). Maybe it WAS legal for sale but was recently decertified? I cannot tell. The DOJ roster does not specifically list the SKU# of this gun but it has a generic listing of "SW 1911, Stainless Steel"

I called up S&W to confirm and they were not able to give me a straight answer, saying that they do not have a current DOJ list. They also say that 108303 has been discontinued. Earlier this year, in another posting, a Calgunner was able to get a straight answer from them saying that it was CA approved.

I've emailed the DOJ firearms bereau and hopefully will have an answer by tomorrow.

tenpercentfirearms
07-20-2011, 6:34 AM
I've been trying to figure this out by searching online and while it seems that while there are a number of CalGunners that own and have purchased this model 108303 in Calfornia, there are conflicting reports on whether or not this gun is legal for sale (without the usual workarounds, ie single shot mod and PPT). Maybe it WAS legal for sale but was recently decertified? I cannot tell. The DOJ roster does not specifically list the SKU# of this gun but it has a generic listing of "SW 1911, Stainless Steel"
That would make it good enough for me.

I've emailed the DOJ firearms bereau and hopefully will have an answer by tomorrow.

LOL! That was hilarious! You totally were making fun of them with sarcastic wit because you know you aren't going to get an answer in the next few months, if ever. Nice.

foxtrotuniformlima
07-20-2011, 6:42 AM
SKU # 108303 is the railed version. Since the Roster is pretty specific in listing SKU #'s, I'd say PPT or SSE is your only option.

It was never on the list.

BannedinBritain
07-20-2011, 10:44 AM

I called up S&W to confirm and they were not able to give me a straight answer, saying that they do not have a current DOJ list. They also say that 108303 has been discontinued. Earlier this year, in another posting, a Calgunner was able to get a straight answer from them saying that it was CA approved.

Don't talk to DOJ...they're pretty worthless when it comes to giving any answers. My question would be this...does this listing on DOJ's roster describe the firearm you want to purchase?

SW1911 / Stainless Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 11/8/2011

If so...I would gladly receive, and transfer it for you. So call your local FFL and ask them the same question...something along the lines of "hey I want to buy this gun...and use you for the transfer, is that OK?"

kemasa
07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I have had very good luck with getting information from the CA DOJ with respect to the firearms on the certified list, so saying to not call is not a good idea, unless you want to transfer a firearm which is not actually on the list. Perhaps it is because I have the phone number of the people responsible, but you can call and ask to talk to the person who deals with the certified list. It is typically much faster that way.

S&W should know if they paid for it to be on the certified list. Most have the sku number, but some do not, which can be a problem.

mkygod
07-21-2011, 8:26 AM
Don't talk to DOJ...they're pretty worthless when it comes to giving any answers. My question would be this...does this listing on DOJ's roster describe the firearm you want to purchase?

SW1911 / Stainless Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 11/8/2011

If so...I would gladly receive, and transfer it for you. So call your local FFL and ask them the same question...something along the lines of "hey I want to buy this gun...and use you for the transfer, is that OK?"

Yes, it does describe the firearm i want to transfer, but it does not specify the SKU or the rail. Thanks for the suggestion, I will ask my local FFL dealer to see if he will transfer it. I'll call up DOJ as well to see if I can get some kind of response.

tenpercentfirearms
07-21-2011, 9:17 AM
SKU # 108303 is the railed version. Since the Roster is pretty specific in listing SKU #'s, I'd say PPT or SSE is your only option.

The roster is not specific in listing SKUs for all of the guns. It doesn't say "no rail". So if it is a 5" stainless S&W SW1911, then it is rostered as far as I am concerned.

If the DOJ wants to do an audit and claim it wasn't rostered, I would be more than happy to add a lawsuit challenging the vagueness of their regulations. If I as a gun expert can't tell which guns are on the list, how is the public or anyone else for that matter?

Their list sucks, do what you will with that information.

wamphyri13
07-21-2011, 9:55 AM

Yes it was. It's not currently on the list, but it was. By number. I got mine from Bud's a couple years ago and had some work done to it.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/wamphyri13/IMG_1905.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/wamphyri13/IMG_1904.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/wamphyri13/IMG_1900.jpg
Ryan