PDA

View Full Version : New gun buyer

Solidux
07-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Hello. I purchased a handgun for my new job (security guard) from a local store. However. I saw a great deal on another handgun online for a fraction of the price and quickly ordered it. I was told by a friend that I will be getting arrested for buying more than one handgun a month in california.

I didnt know such law was in effect and dont know what to do. I am active in the army so does that help?

dotalchemy
07-20-2011, 12:06 AM
You won't be getting arrested, don't worry.

If you ordered it online, it'll be shipped to your local FFL who will do the transfer for you. Given that you've already purchased one within 30 days, the DROS at your local FFL will be rejected and you won't be able to collect the weapon. If your FFL is nice, he'll keep it for you until your 30 days has expired and you can submit a new DROS for you. If he's feeling formal, which he's well within his rights to do, he'll return the weapon to the dealer (out of state FFL).

But no, you won't be getting arrested - you just won't get the online one for at least 30 days.

When you say you saw it online and quickly ordered it, you did have it shipped to your FFL for the transfer, right?

rromeo
07-20-2011, 12:07 AM
You will not get arrested. You will not be able to pick it up for 30 days, so it will sit at your FFL.

GOEX FFF
07-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Hello. I purchased a handgun for my new job (security guard) from a local store. However. I saw a great deal on another handgun online for a fraction of the price and quickly ordered it. I was told by a friend that I will be getting arrested for buying more than one handgun a month in california.

I didnt know such law was in effect and dont know what to do. I am active in the army so does that help?

Geeeeeze, how does this type of FUD get out there?? :rolleyes:

The only thing that is going to happen is that your dealer will tell you you'll have to wait 30 days, then you can DROS the new one.

WELCOME TO CALGUNS SOLIDUX!

rromeo
07-20-2011, 12:09 AM
And kick your friend hard in the gonads for telling you stupid crap.

dotalchemy
07-20-2011, 12:10 AM

This too.

I'd question any future advice you get from him on firearms.

Condorguns
07-20-2011, 7:04 AM
If your local FFL is cool this will not be a problem. ASK THEM NOW IF THEY WILL BE CHARGING YOU STORAGE!!!!! Some FFL's are doing this, and it will kick your butt, if you have to hold a gun. I have at least three guys who have "Box oh Gun" in the safe room. They find guns online or in the shop and jump on them. We stick that gun in the box...every 30 days they come in, pick out the next gun to get out of jail, and start the paper. Guns get sold, buyer is happy, and we allow visitation....just so they can start a eary bonding process ;).

Torrey

Solidux
07-20-2011, 9:10 AM
Ah. Thx guys. I wouldnt mind paying a storage fee because it was my ignorance of the laws that caused this. Thx again for the info everyone

BajaJames83
07-20-2011, 9:13 AM
i did that before by accident/ ignorance of the law. my ffl held it for me for 30 days...

Flintlock Tom
07-20-2011, 11:09 AM
i did that before by accident/ ignorance of the law. my ffl held it for me for 30 days...

In all likelihood it won't be that bad. By the time the new gun gets shipped to your transfer agent it will have been 8 or 10 days after you started the DROS on the first gun. So you'll only be waiting 3 weeks (20-22 days) before you can start the DROS on the second gun.
But even that won't be too bad because you'll have the first gun to play with.

:p

Wherryj
07-20-2011, 12:04 PM

It would be a good idea to let the FFL know about the issue. In the worst case scenario, it's at least polite to let him know what happened early. In the best case, it might make it easier to get free/lower cost storage.

Ubermcoupe
07-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Most FFLs will hold it for you until you the 30 days restriction expires.

LOL - Yell out "This is for spreading FUD!" when you do it ;)

BTW: @ how much of a discount are you going to sell me your "extra" pistol?

Solidux
07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Thx everyone for the good info. One question I have is if I could have a friend dros and buy it, then transfer to me. Will I still be subjected to the 30 days or will it be 20 days (10 days for him and 10 days for me)?

stix213
07-25-2011, 1:17 PM
Thx everyone for the good info. One question I have is if I could have a friend dros and buy it, then transfer to me. Will I still be subjected to the 30 days or will it be 20 days (10 days for him and 10 days for me)?

Buying a used gun from a private party in a face to face transfer does not have any of the 30 day BS, so in that way you would be cool. But, I believe your friend would be committing a crime if he were to specifically buy the pistol to sell it to you in this manner. I don't have the PC on hand though. Hopefully someone else does.

jackblack
07-25-2011, 1:26 PM

You should reconsider your desire to circumvent the law. Yes, it's a stupid law. But getting caught doing something like that (and you will get caught - especially if you post about it on an online forum) will cost you your 2nd A right for a lifetime.

Better to donate to the CGF to help in their efforts to roll back stupid laws than to try stupid things.

If your local FFL is cool this will not be a problem. ASK THEM NOW IF THEY WILL BE CHARGING YOU STORAGE!!!!! Some FFL's are doing this, and it will kick your butt, if you have to hold a gun. I have at least three guys who have "Box oh Gun" in the safe room. They find guns online or in the shop and jump on them. We stick that gun in the box...every 30 days they come in, pick out the next gun to get out of jail, and start the paper. Guns get sold, buyer is happy, and we allow visitation....just so they can start a eary bonding process ;).

Torrey

You are a righteous FFL dealer ;-) We need more like you.