PDA

View Full Version : Oral board tomorrow for Signal Hill PD

Streetbeatxd
07-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Any tips? First interview for me.

chsk9
07-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Dress in a suit.
Sit straight in your chair, feet on the ground, hands in your lap. Relax!
Answer questions honestly promptly and look directly into at the board members.

PositiveInfluence
07-20-2011, 12:16 AM
I have heard that you should answer questions to each person interviewing you, not just the person asking the question.If that makes sense.

fullrearview
07-20-2011, 1:29 AM
Dress in a suit.
Sit straight in your chair, feet on the ground, hands in your lap. Relax!
Answer questions honestly promptly and look directly into at the board members.

But not too promptly... Think about your answers before you answer them. Accept the water if they offer it too.

HarrisonS004
07-20-2011, 9:58 AM
Just take a few seconds to calm down. Think about your answers for while especially if they are hypothetical, which there probably will at least be some.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
The last question will likely be "Is there anything you'd like to add?" A lot of people say no because they are glad its over. That's why they are still civilians grousing and cop bashing on message boards.....

Use this last question to thank them for the interview, and add that you look forward to the opportunity to work for their department and be a role model for your family, the community, etc.

P.S. Make sure you know something about the demographics of the city, the name of the Chief, etc.

Streetbeatxd
07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Just arrived. Here goes nothing!

HarrisonS004
07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Good Luck!

fal_762x51
07-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Did you do a ride along with their department? If not, do one before your interview.

Streetbeatxd
07-20-2011, 1:51 PM
Didn't get to do one with their department unfortunately. But I did a few with other depts.

Apparently asking them at the end why they love working for signal hill is a bad idea, =\. it really was an honest question, but they didn't take too kindly to it. Feel like I bombed it. Nerves....always. It was a good learning experience though, hope to do better next time. Ugh...haven't had that "sinking feeling" in a long time...

Notorious
07-20-2011, 9:40 PM
It's not a bad question... actually. I sit on interview boards (not by choice, I always get volunteered by someone else) and I like being asked by the interviewee about what I feel because they are doing research and asking me, as an employee, what I think of the place because... well... I work there.

In any event, you can always overdo it though and we had one that kept going and it became like she was interviewing us to see if our organization fit her. Well, we decided for her that maybe it didn't fit her.

However, you should already have some of the information you need in your research so you can always bring that up. Mention your research in that you saw on their website this and that and how you like this program they have or you have experience in that other program they ran... make that connection.

So... did you get the job and have they promoted you to Lieutenant yet?:43:

Streetbeatxd
07-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Didn't draw it out further as it wasn't answered. Was just told that they weren't the one's being interviewed and that wasn't the way to score points with them. I'll know by August 5th, but I definitely didn't feel good leaving that interview. Learn and move on right? I'll be better prepared next time hopefully.

PositiveInfluence
07-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Have you already been through the academy?

Streetbeatxd
07-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Not yet. Saving up enough to self sponsor myself as well as pay for rent. If my apps. don't pan out the way I want them to, then I'll put myself through the academy.

BigDogatPlay
07-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Was just told that they weren't the one's being interviewed and that wasn't the way to score points with them.

Wow... tough crowd. :)

For the future... when asked if there is anything to add, that is your opportunity to really sell yourself. I sat on a lot of panels over the years, and am a hiring manager in the private sector now. Panel interviews are always the toughest and are usually always unnerving to the first timer.

One of the things I do now at the close of an interview is ask the candidate if they have any questions for me. We tend to get a lot of good questions, it draws the candidate out more and opens the door for them to sell. But it's up to them to step through it. People who don't engage or won't try to articulate and sell themselves when given the opportunity don't get offers from me or my peers.

Notorious
07-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Yep, that was a bull**** response from them. They really let this tough market get to their heads and are pretty much going back to the way it was back in the day where they can treat applicants like crap because they get to pick and choose. Screw it, doesn't sound like you need to be there.

Tacit Blue
07-22-2011, 1:01 AM
Not yet. Saving up enough to self sponsor myself as well as pay for rent. If my apps. don't pan out the way I want them to, then I'll put myself through the academy.

Make sure your 100% committed, do your research and PT at least 3 days out of the week. Also, make a account on Govermentjobs or Neogov, and keep sending off your application to multiple agencies. I already have my template application made, so all i have to do is just click on a job offer and send away the app.... Coolest thing thus far about applying, since 99% of the cities and counties use that system... Think of it like fishing. Sooner or later your going to get a bite:D

jerkyg
07-22-2011, 1:39 AM
Great advice here...but, I did not see any thoughts on your answers to the standard questions. And yes, I have been on review/hiring boards. Plus, to be in line to be hired in this time and age...wow. We are having layoffs...of course out of many hundreds of deputies...I am number 11...thus, I am not worried.

Question....

"Your FTO...Field Training Officer"...goes into a store and the owner gives him a soda and says..."no cost". What would be your answer? You can answer...I would turn him in...or, I would not say anything. The answer I would want to hear...not that it would be the truth...is that..."I would tell my FTO that I did not agree with that...because it is against dept. policy...and request another FTO. Right or wrong? Depends on who is on your oral board.

Most times now...it is not a bunch of cops on the oral board...usually it is a personnel person...a concerned citizen...a couple of cops. I remember my oral board...same folks...one of the question was...

You get a call that a person with a Maltov Cocktail...a bottle with gas and a rag on fire...and he has 20 people in a store....and is threatening to throw it at them. What would you do? My answer? I would get behind him and shoot him. Everyone except the "cops" were shocked! The others said..."Why would you not warn him to put it down?" My answer? "Well...I am not going to question his integrity...that if I say that...he will simply then just throw it and all those people would die." The coppers laughed...

I passed....

And the last point when asked...tell them the truth...that you want to make a difference. To be a positive influence on the community...etc.

Just my two cents worth. But, then what do I know after 27 yrs? Good luck.

J

Tacit Blue
07-22-2011, 2:34 AM
Great advice here...but, I did not see any thoughts on your answers to the standard questions. And yes, I have been on review/hiring boards. Plus, to be in line to be hired in this time and age...wow. We are having layoffs...of course out of many hundreds of deputies...I am number 11...thus, I am not worried.

Question....

"Your FTO...Field Training Officer"...goes into a store and the owner gives him a soda and says..."no cost". What would be your answer? You can answer...I would turn him in...or, I would not say anything. The answer I would want to hear...not that it would be the truth...is that..."I would tell my FTO that I did not agree with that...because it is against dept. policy...and request another FTO. Right or wrong? Depends on who is on your oral board.

Most times now...it is not a bunch of cops on the oral board...usually it is a personnel person...a concerned citizen...a couple of cops. I remember my oral board...same folks...one of the question was...

You get a call that a person with a Maltov Cocktail...a bottle with gas and a rag on fire...and he has 20 people in a store....and is threatening to throw it at them. What would you do? My answer? I would get behind him and shoot him. Everyone except the "cops" were shocked! The others said..."Why would you not warn him to put it down?" My answer? "Well...I am not going to question his integrity...that if I say that...he will simply then just throw it and all those people would die." The coppers laughed...

I passed....

And the last point when asked...tell them the truth...that you want to make a difference. To be a positive influence on the community...etc.

Just my two cents worth. But, then what do I know after 27 yrs? Good luck.

J

Isn't the appropriate answer to the soda question, to offer the clerk payment for the soda your senior Officer took for free. Then bring up the issue of violating policy and procedures? That's the way i would do it.

My reasoning:

1) Your FTO could be testing your character, seeing if you go along with that behavior.

2) A citizen could take that as a possible bribe, that the Police Officer has a unofficial relationship with the store owner of some sorts.

3) Your supervisor could be using a intimidation factor and expects a ' hand out'. Semi unethical behavior, which would reflect poorly on the both of you.

jerkyg
07-22-2011, 4:02 AM
that is also a great answer...not that i would believe it....you are definitely thinking on your feet.

good job...

stay safe...

Isn't the appropriate answer to the soda question, to offer the clerk payment for the soda your senior Officer took for free. Then bring up the issue of violating policy and procedures? That's the way i would do it.

My reasoning:

1) Your FTO could be testing your character, seeing if you go along with that behavior.

2) A citizen could take that as a possible bribe, that the Police Officer has a unofficial relationship with the store owner of some sorts.

3) Your supervisor could be using a intimidation factor and expects a ' hand out'. Semi unethical behavior, which would reflect poorly on the both of you.

jerkyg
07-22-2011, 4:03 AM
in my time...we used to get all sorts of stuff "free"...it was a different time...

stay safe...

Tacit Blue
07-22-2011, 1:21 PM
Maybe you can interview me and offer me employment? :)

Samuelx
07-22-2011, 1:36 PM
Neither here nor there really But I would recommend you do ALL your homework (which includes researching the internet) WAY before the due date - i.e. don't wait until the night before to ask questions or ask for advice...

Notorious
07-22-2011, 1:37 PM
Negative... I answered that way and was told if I was going to start paying the FTO's way everytime if it didn't turn out the way I wanted to.

If my FTO took free soda, I wouldn't pay for it, but I would bring it up to the FTO and find out the backstory. Maybe he is friends with the owner for real. Maybe he has credit there. Maybe the FTO is just a crooked guy that steals and beats suspects and deals drugs and runs a multi-million dollar sex slave ring out of Eastern Europe, who knows?

Streetbeatxd
07-22-2011, 5:52 PM
Just got my results back in an email. 64%. Can't say I didn't see that coming. I'll be better prepared next time. Oddly enough, a better score than anticipated, but like they say, almost only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.

Tacit Blue
07-22-2011, 8:35 PM
Just got my results back in an email. 64%. Can't say I didn't see that coming. I'll be better prepared next time. Oddly enough, a better score than anticipated, but like they say, almost only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.

Or Woman..... :D

Streetbeatxd
07-22-2011, 9:23 PM
Those too. =D

The Bacon Eater
07-23-2011, 1:25 AM

Im sorry to hear that. It was not meant to be and you will find somewhere where you will be happy. :)

Chris0309
07-23-2011, 2:02 AM
You should some specific details about their agency and the general population. Such as, how many sworn officers, how many k9 units, who the mutual aid agencies are, what speciL units the dept has, and what some of the local city news is.

Go to CA POST's website. Read the peace officers code of ethics so that you have a relative grasp of your expected behvior and comportment.

We a nice well tailored conservative business suit, be clean shaven, and well groomed with a hair cut. Look act and be professional. Take care of the small details.

If youre a pre-service academy grad (ie rio hondo) be ready to articulate your academy experience.

When answering questions from the board make eye contact qith everybody-not just the person asking you the question. Give yourself a slight pause before you answer any question. Think before you answer. And if you dont know the answer dont be afraid to say so. You arent expected to know everything. In fact if you come across that you do know everything your score will be lower. Also, stay strong in your convictions. Dont flake out on a question and wobble bqck and forth on an answer...even if you say something wrong dont digress and change your answer.

And, when it comes to the final "is there anything youd like to add?" question.... Thank the board for the opportunity of the interview and tell them you look forward to completing the hiring process.... Then pause....and the last thing you say is, "you know, the bottom like is i just want to help the good people and take the bad guys to jail." Then shut up and walk out.....

One more thing, if youre up reading these posts-go to bed! Get your sleep, so you dont look tired and ragedy.

Good luck tomorrow.

buckethead
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Make sure your 100% committed, do your research and PT at least 3 days out of the week. Also, make a account on Govermentjobs or Neogov, and keep sending off your application to multiple agencies. I already have my template application made, so all i have to do is just click on a job offer and send away the app.... Coolest thing thus far about applying, since 99% of the cities and counties use that system... Think of it like fishing. Sooner or later your going to get a bite:D

The only thing about applying to multiple agencies is you might get invited to multiple exams, (the 30 day wait applies to 2nd, 3rd, ect.. exams) and you need to keep updating your PHS. All LEO agencies applied for. Possible negative to have too many?