PDA

View Full Version : True definition of “assault rifle.”

NpTbo
07-19-2011, 9:16 PM
California has ironic law on our access to firearms and the way it originally designed. Governing our access to firearms does not prescribe balance of our liberal as civilian and government’s tyranny. California Attorney General hired consultant to define the “assault rifle” as a new taboo to provide false sense of security. California is currently one of the highest crimes in nationwide since the “assault rifle” was defined. Some or most of us know that the “community gate” does not stop internal and external criminals.

I have given some thoughts about the definition of “assault rifle.” What is it originally used for? Maybe we should try to draw a line where the “assault” should be properly used. Any rifle that is carried or used in the hunting/range area, is it called a “hunting/range rifle.” I believe that it has already been visited but the term “assault” is a place where a person may terrorize the public in unexpected place like street, shopping, bank…

I want to post this to give a clear public message about my opinion of true definition of “assault rifle.”

Bhobbs
07-19-2011, 9:17 PM
There already is a definition for assault rifle. It is a rifle capable of select fire chambered for an intermediate cartridge such as 5.56 NATO or 7.62x39 Russian.

dantodd
07-19-2011, 9:25 PM
Yes. "Assault Rifle" and "Assault Weapon" do not have the same definitions.

oni.dori
07-19-2011, 9:27 PM
There already is a definition for assault rifle. It is a rifle capable of select fire chambered for an intermediate cartridge such as 5.56 NATO or 7.62x39 Russian.

I do believe that it was also coined to ONLY pertain to MILITARY rifles (as in, rifles used by the MILITARY itself), not civilian version of rifles SIMILAR to the military issue rifles. The anti-gun establishment just perverted it to pander support through fear mongering.

ElvenSoul
07-19-2011, 9:28 PM
Anything that shoots or looks like a gun, by most antis.

tonelar
07-19-2011, 9:29 PM
Welcome to CALGUNs. Mebbe edit out "rifle" and change it to "weapon" in your post. I think you're confusing one with the other.

stix213
07-19-2011, 9:34 PM
Assault Rifle:
A select fire (semi auto plus full auto and/or burst fire) rifle chambered for a lower powered rifle cartridge. The middle ground between a battle rifle and a SMG.

Assault Weapon:
An invented legal term that varies greatly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but in general refers to semi-auto only firearms that in appearance (not function) look like firearms seen in movies and TV based on largely cosmetic features that in no way change the operation of the firearm.

Librarian
07-19-2011, 9:48 PM
As stupid as the 'assault rifle'/'assault weapon' things are, that ship sailed in 1989. The only remedy is to repeal the law(s) and let the confused stew in their error.

The Shadow
07-19-2011, 10:53 PM
It has a shoulder thing that goes up. :D

pTa
07-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Anything that shoots or looks like a gun, by most antis.

It has a shoulder thing that goes up. :D

I'am annoyed that CA people are deamed less responsible than AZ NV OR people by our ellected oficials/ CA AW Laws need to be repealled/ Justabout every body Iv'e met here is pretty responsible with theyr weapon handling/

safewaysecurity
07-19-2011, 11:05 PM
It's those evil black looking weapons that attack people all on their own. Hence the "evil black assault weapon" they also have barrel shrouds capable of taking down commercial jetplanes.

yellowfin
07-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I'am annoyed that CA people are deamed less responsible than AZ NV OR people by our elected oficials/They vote stupidly so they get treated accordingly.

NpTbo
07-20-2011, 12:27 AM
It's those evil black looking weapons that attack people all on their own. Hence the "evil black assault weapon" they also have barrel shrouds capable of taking down commercial jetplanes.

An important personal discipline is to treat people with human dignity of those who may be the holder of black evil in general and political manner.

vantec08
07-20-2011, 5:44 AM
The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", as in "to storm a position"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler to describe the Maschinenpistole 43, subsequently re-named Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularise the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle.

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
It must be capable of selective fire;
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (984 feet)

NpTbo
07-20-2011, 6:24 AM
The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", as in "to storm a position"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler to describe the Maschinenpistole 43, subsequently re-named Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularise the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle.

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.

Today's common concept and definition of "Assault" does not meet any of it. The true characteristic of “Assault” is cause another to apprehend immediate and personal violence, or in the more limited sense of a threat of violence caused by an immediate show of force.

putput
07-20-2011, 7:03 AM
Nice. To those interested, I would recommend reading:

The Gun by CJ Chivers

It's about the AK-47 but you can't have a discussion about it's history without a review of the machine gun (assault rifle) and associated combat tactics.

Bhobbs
07-20-2011, 7:11 AM
I do believe that it was also coined to ONLY pertain to MILITARY rifles (as in, rifles used by the MILITARY itself), not civilian version of rifles SIMILAR to the military issue rifles. The anti-gun establishment just perverted it to pander support through fear mongering.

That's my point. Only select fire rifles chambered for intermediate cartridges and fed from a magazine are assault rifles. The anti gunner term is assault weapon which is basically anything they think is scary.

vantec08
07-20-2011, 7:30 AM
Today's common concept and definition of "Assault" does not meet any of it. The true characteristic of “Assault” is cause another to apprehend immediate and personal violence, or in the more limited sense of a threat of violence caused by an immediate show of force.

The OP's question was about origins.

Wherryj
07-20-2011, 7:54 AM

Yes, but somehow the barrel shroud on my Mossberg 590 doesn't make it more dangerous? It also has a bayonet lug, and I've even added a pistol grip. I'm confused as to why the universe didn't implode.

Milsurp Collector
07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Listen to an expert. [/sarcasm]

rQN1u_aPgcM

Psy Crow
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Found this handy identification guide:

https://files.me.com/dammit/rerni7

FullMetalJacket
07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Assault weapon: any gun that looks like it might be useful in the exercise of one's Second Amendment rights.

curtisfong
07-20-2011, 11:14 AM
The press only reports what CLEO/LEO etc tell them.

http://nyet.org/images/firearms-guide.jpg

Full Clip
07-20-2011, 11:26 AM
They vote stupidly so they get treated accordingly.

Interesting comment from a New Yorker, though I certainly agree with it.

donw
07-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Assault Rifle:
A select fire (semi auto plus full auto and/or burst fire) rifle chambered for a lower powered rifle cartridge. The middle ground between a battle rifle and a SMG.

Assault Weapon:
An invented legal term that varies greatly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but in general refers to semi-auto only firearms that in appearance (not function) look like firearms seen in movies and TV based on largely cosmetic features that in no way change the operation of the firearm.

this is nearly verbatim what the 'legal' definition says, IIRC

legislators have a very hard time discerning what is a MILITARY rifle/weapon even when shown and explained the differences; it seems they cannot differentiate between a civilian version of an M16/M4 and the military counterparts...it must be in the "Obviously protruding pistol grip" or "When the web of the thumb and forefinger is higher than the tip of the forefinger when extended onto the trigger." feature that throw them off...:rolleyes:

whatever...California legislators are in the stone age...:(

yellowfin
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Interesting comment from a New Yorker, though I certainly agree with it.I'm from Alabama, just stuck up north for the moment being and was previously out there in CA too for a couple of years. I've observed by immersion the atrocities of both of the big anti gun states, and seriously wondering what I must have done to make whatever deity mad at me to have put me there and here, particularly consecutively.

nicki
07-20-2011, 2:07 PM
A modern day Military rifle that all abled bodied citizens should be required to own, maintain and drill with on a regular basis and those individuals should be punished for failure to perform their constitutional duties under the second amendment.

Of course since the VPC says semi autos are more dangerous than full autos, in the interest of safety, I would make selective fire arms the standard of the militia.

Nicki

Bhobbs
07-20-2011, 2:15 PM
A modern day Military rifle that all abled bodied males citizens should be required to own, maintain and drill with on a regular basis and those individuals should be punished for failure to perform their constitutional duties under the second amendment.

Nicki

FTFY. If women want rights they need to defend them like the men.

(Not referring to women in the military. They are doing their part.)

ap3572001
07-20-2011, 2:42 PM
To me an assault rifle is a rifle that due to its design could be a weapon of choice to attack or defend against at attack. If one wants to attack a target hundreds of Yards away, a high power rifle with a good scope is aweapon of choice. If one wants a rifle to protect their home, an AR in 9mm with a lot magazines sounds really handy. A shop owner would be served very well with a 16 INCH barrel 9 shot 44 magnum lever gun.

762.DEFENSE
07-20-2011, 3:39 PM

rQN1u_aPgcM

Kill it with fire!

762.DEFENSE
07-20-2011, 3:40 PM
Assault Rifles: "Any weapon with "high capacity clips capable of slaughtering innocent puppies and kittens."

dantodd
07-20-2011, 4:05 PM
FTFY. If women want rights they need to defend them like the men.

(Not referring to women in the military. They are doing their part.)

I believe that Nicki was alluding to the Militia Act which only encompasses men.

Uriah02
07-20-2011, 4:07 PM
Assault weapon = an object used as a weapon to assault a person.
Assault is an adjective in this definition.

ap3572001
07-20-2011, 4:41 PM
An assault weapon is a rather subjective term..... I would not chose any RIFLE for many situations....THEY ARE VERY HARD TO HIDE. But a persoun can hide a Beretta or a Glock with several magazines under a light sportcoat or a fishing style vest very easy. I can hide a pair of 9mm pistols all day long, even in warm weather.Cant do it with an AR.

bohoki
07-20-2011, 4:51 PM
i got to say much of the fault is the gun magazines of the era

i'd say that between 1984-1994 the term took to mean any military looking rifles

like we have to blame hollywood for the term clip to mean any ammunition feed device

Milsurp Collector
07-20-2011, 6:26 PM
i got to say much of the fault is the gun magazines of the era

i'd say that between 1984-1994 the term took to mean any military looking rifles

I still have a copy of this issue from the 1980s

http://i49.tinypic.com/1p80i0.jpg

russ69
07-20-2011, 8:28 PM
legislators have a very hard time discerning what is a MILITARY rifle/weapon even when shown and explained the differences; it seems they cannot differentiate between a civilian version of an M16/M4 and the military counterparts...

I stand by my previous statement: A bunch of high school kids could do a better job.

notme92069
08-22-2011, 10:28 AM

rQN1u_aPgcM

Interesting that all comments and ratings were disabled