PDA

View Full Version : any good ranges in San Diego?

diegojosh
01-05-2007, 4:50 PM
I've lived in San Diego for 6 years but haven't shot rifles much around here. Anyone know of any good rifle ranges that are OLL friendly? Thanks

diegojosh
01-05-2007, 5:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have actually been there once and was thinking of paying them a visit tomorrow. Can you tell me where to get those DOJ papers and the SB 23?

mike100
01-05-2007, 5:10 PM
Escondido Fish and Game (private range-but open for public shoots) has officially adopted a "Don't ask don't tell policy" on AW's,but recommends copies of your paperwork.

the idea was to quietly educate the unaware about unreg'ed assault weapons, but the rule is to not confront people directly about it. As with most ranges, cops are often found there either on or off duty. I think the range would be supportive of OLL's.

The only rule officially adopted last year was the ban on fully auto weapons without permission ahead of time (military or police only, obviously). They didn't want to run off any .50 bmg shooters or black rifle people. the club got 8 more acres so a 200 yd rifle range should happen in 2007.

csarel
01-05-2007, 5:17 PM
Orosco Ridge, Ramona

ohsmily
01-05-2007, 5:36 PM
Orosco Ridge, Ramona

That place sucks. Full of junk and morons (and some gangbangers) and a good chance for crossfire. It isn't a "range", it is an disorganized shooting area.

If you want a good range, check out South Bay Rod and Gun club in Dulzura.

http://www.sbrgc.org/ Great people, and great range (four ranges to be exact)

Prc329
01-05-2007, 6:17 PM
That place sucks. Full of junk and morons (and some gangbangers) and a good chance for crossfire. It isn't a "range", it is an disorganized shooting area.

If you want to a good range, check out South Bay Rod and Gun club in Dulzura.

Glad to hear. I am moving about 10 miles from there soon.

alpha_romeo_XV
01-05-2007, 7:18 PM
When your ready for the big time, try Santa Margarita gun club at camp Pendleton. Open shoots once a month but they may laugh at a neuter OLL. 600 yds nice test for a match Garand or M1A on a windy day.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/wiskeypapa57/temp/pendletonwilcoxrange.jpg

csarel
01-05-2007, 8:08 PM

If you want to a good range, check out South Bay Rod and Gun club in Dulzura.

Gee it was clean last time I helped during a clean up.
And I never saw myself as a moron. Hmm. The things you learn.

damon1272
01-05-2007, 8:12 PM
For Orosco ridge you need to call the local forestry station in Ramona to get the gate combo when it is open.
Project 2000 got a new manager a couple of years ago that made a major improvement to the place. Nice place to shoot now and they are oll friendly. It is nice to shoot in a controlled enviroment every once in awhile.(100 yard indoor range).

ohsmily
01-05-2007, 8:21 PM
Gee it was clean last time I helped during a clean up.
And I never saw myself as a moron. Hmm. The things you learn.

You might be...you wouldn't know...BUT, since you participated in the clean up at Orosco, it is likely that you are an intelligent, considerate shooter who knows what he is doing. However, in my experience at Orosco, there are more morons (and lowlifes) than experienced, intelligent shooters. I avoid that place like the plague.

damon1272
01-05-2007, 8:28 PM
It kills me that the dirtbag factor is so high there. What the amazing thing is the scumbags that thrash the place drive by the dump on their way to dump and shoot thier trash! The place has gotten much better since the clean up program. I do appreciate the people that participate in it.

alpha_romeo_XV
01-05-2007, 8:58 PM
Orosco also requires an "adventure pass" to park there ($5 for a day or $35 for year), and the ranger doesn't sell them - he gives tickets. I've seen many given. There are alot of nails on the ground in a few spots from all the pallets that were burnt there during raves before the locked gate was installed. I've got to say Jacumba is more trashy though, no clean ups there at all. South Bay has clean bathrooms with running water too, if you're taking wife/kids they usually appreciate that.

sammy
01-06-2007, 7:42 AM
Iron Sights in Ocean Side is great for pistols and allow rifles as well. Pointless at 25 yards if shooting a rifle.

tomj
01-06-2007, 12:48 PM
As mentioned earlier Project 2000 is a nice range. It has really been improved over the last few years. No one has ever questioned my AR-15 (which is registered).
Tom

RossRinSD
01-06-2007, 11:19 PM
When your ready for the big time, try Santa Margarita gun club at camp Pendleton. Open shoots once a month but they may laugh at a neuter OLL. 600 yds nice test for a match Garand or M1A on a windy day.

Hey, they can laugh all they want, as long as they don't tell me I can't shoot it...

Do you have any more info on this range, I live in Oceanside, and have shot a lot of clay at the shotgun range. I checked out www.SantaMargaritaGunClub.org but I couldn't really get in more info out of the website than directions...

TIA,
Ross

alpha_romeo_XV
01-07-2007, 1:04 PM
Do you have any more info on this range, I live in Oceanside, and have shot a lot of clay at the shotgun range. I checked out www.SantaMargaritaGunClub.org but I couldn't really get in more info out of the website than directions...

You've got the right web site for the SMGC (I'm not a member ), but it looks like they haven't filled in the 2007 calendars yet on their website's "schedule tab". I hope I wasn't misleading the open shoots are a service match course of fire, not random open shooting. South Bay range has good intro shoot for this type of 4 stage event every couple of months in a 100 yrd format. In the rapid fire stages you need to reload either from mag change or stipper clip, so an OLL would need a monsterman grip. I haven't seen anyone run this way yet but don't see why not. To shoot a 200/300/600 yrd course your gonna need a match grade gun (barrel, trigger, ammo) and bunch of gear (spotting scope, mat, sling, jacket ... and more) see photo below. And at the USMC range you need a buddy because you have "pull targets" for each other. Overall a cool event/experience I would recommend for any serious iron sight rifle shooter.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/wiskeypapa57/temp/WilcoxRange.jpg

ohsmily
01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
I've got to say Jacumba is more trashy though, no clean ups there at all.

Just because you haven't been to one doesn't mean there aren't clean ups out there. Every few months, there are organized cleanups out there. Chemical toilets are brought in as well as dumpsters for the refuse. Additionally, Boy Scout troops and other groups conduct their own clean-ups of the area.
I usually drive farther than Jacumba to my own semi-secret (almost never anyone there) shooting area (yes, it is a legal shooting area). I avoid Orosco and Jacumba.

Bill_in_SD
03-27-2007, 12:02 PM
I usually drive farther than Jacumba to my own semi-secret (almost never anyone there) shooting area (yes, it is a legal shooting area). I avoid Orosco and Jacumba.

Can you tell us the second half of your semi-secret directions to your semi-secret shooting area? ;)

I used to go out on 8 East past Crestwood and then north a ways, but kept running into problems with reservation land. The shooting area map from the Sheriff's department has been pretty much worthless since it does not show Indian Reservations, etc.

Now with kids who are need to be taught how to shoot, options are looking limited to a formal club - Lemon Grove, El Cajon, or Escondido.

Any other places anyone can tell us about?

Thanks- Bill in SD

lrdchivalry
01-22-2008, 3:49 PM
How about the area North of the 8 freeway by boulevard, McCain Valley? My dad and I used to hunt rabbits out there when I was kid, however I haven't been out there in many years. Can you still shoot out there?

ohsmily
01-22-2008, 4:22 PM
How about the area North of the 8 freeway by boulevard, McCain Valley? My dad and I used to hunt rabbits out there when I was kid, however I haven't been out there in many years. Can you still shoot out there?

McCain valley is off limits to target shooting. Hunting is allowed, but no target shooting.

lrdchivalry
01-22-2008, 4:32 PM
McCain valley is off limits to target shooting. Hunting is allowed, but no target shooting.

Darn....

lrdchivalry
01-22-2008, 5:02 PM

Any alternatives out in that general area?

ness395
01-24-2008, 2:36 PM
I'll second the Escondido Fish and Game Association in Escondido.

Every time I'm up there, I'm soo thankful that I'm a member of a private range. Everyone up there is very into shooting and is very nice. I've been shooting a RRA OLL there for a few months now, and the only response I've gotten is "Cool, I didn't know that you could get AR-15s anymore." Then I'll whip out the law and convince them that they too should get an OLL with a bullet button.

FlyingPen
01-24-2008, 2:46 PM
Might want to check this out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82385

ohsmily
01-24-2008, 3:10 PM
Any alternatives out in that general area?

Yes, Jacumba at "airport flat." You can shoot on either side of the valley out there (East or West). Either take the Jacumba exit or the In Ko Pah exit. LEAVE IT CLEANER THAN YOU FOUND IT!

motorhead
01-26-2008, 1:26 AM
carrizo gorge(jacumba) is the only free public shooting area in the county. although there are clean-ups it does tend to get messy. brass collectors don't have a problem with that. i have never had a bad experience there. you can shoot anything semi, no questions. met some good people there, shot each others guns. no bangers nuts or cops. nobody soils themselves if you do a mag dump.
BTW-i was told ramona was closed. any truth to that?

Richie Rich
01-26-2008, 6:41 AM
I'll second the Escondido Fish and Game Association in Escondido.

Every time I'm up there, I'm soo thankful that I'm a member of a private range. Everyone up there is very into shooting and is very nice. I've been shooting a RRA OLL there for a few months now, and the only response I've gotten is "Cool, I didn't know that you could get AR-15s anymore." Then I'll whip out the law and convince them that they too should get an OLL with a bullet button.

EFG is a pretty cool place. I have not joined yet but have gone as a guest a couple of times. They are OLL and AW friendly and the facilities are not too bad. Just don't act like a jackass, follow the rules (not many) and you will have a good time there.

First time I went, we had the place all to ourselves for several hours. Had a great time.

I just noticed this thread was over a year old. :eek:

viras
01-26-2008, 6:20 PM
San Diego Ranges (http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Ranges.html)

Crazed_SS
01-26-2008, 8:05 PM
I've lived in San Diego for 6 years but haven't shot rifles much around here. Anyone know of any good rifle ranges that are OLL friendly? Thanks

Project 2000 - http://www.p2krange.com/
They have an Indoor 100yd shooting range, shotgun, pistol, and skeet ranges. Last time I was there a guy was shooting a Offlist AR and AK.

American Shooting Center - http://www.gotammo.com/
They have a very nice range. It's only 25 yds, but you can shoot rifles there. Kinda expensive.. :(

http://www.discountgunmart.com/
15-20yd Pistol only range. They have about 10 lanes maybe. I do believe they allow pistol caliber carbines and rifles. I've see people shooting offlist HK USC's there as well as .22lr rifles. Cheap to shoot :)