PDA

View Full Version : Legal question: Demil Uzi machine gun receiver legal in CA?

prebans
07-19-2011, 5:20 PM
I have a demilled full auto Uzi receiver that was saw-cut back when saw-cutting was legal. A CA resident wants to purchase the demilled receiver.

Any legal issues here or am I good to go?

(I'll sell anything into CA that I can, but I want to be sure I'm not putting the buyer or me in legal peril.)

Thanks,

Mike

G-forceJunkie
07-19-2011, 6:11 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but if it was demilled per the ATF, its been nothing but scrap metal since then.

11C ABN
07-19-2011, 7:51 PM
Parts kit are legal in CA, as long as it way was properly de-milled per ATF standards imposed of the de-milling process for the year the weapon was decommissioned / de-milled.

Be aware that the magazine will need to be stripped down and presented as a magazine re-build kit. Do not ship any magazine the holds over 10 rounds assembled.

Tell your buyer he is lucky to find a "Saw" cut parts kit compared to today's ATF standards of torch cutting.

CAL.BAR
07-19-2011, 8:01 PM
NO! Once a MG, always a MG. Parts (w/o full auto sear) may be ok, but if you put it back together, you are manufacuring a MG.

ke6guj
07-19-2011, 8:10 PM
NO! Once a MG, always a MG. Parts (w/o full auto sear) may be ok, but if you put it back together, you are manufacuring a MG.

you know not what you speak. the receiver has been properly demilled and is no longer an MG. It isn't even a firearm. When a new receiver is welded up using the front trunnion section, as long as the semi-auto blocking bar is welded in BEFORE the receiver is complete, it is a semi-auto receiver, not an MG receiver, even if some of the parts used to complete the receiver were once an MG.

edit: oh, and the OP is an FFL/SOT so he knows the federal rules about the demilled receiver, he is just trying to confirm that there is no CA laws against it.

CHS
07-19-2011, 8:11 PM

^^^^ Don't listen to this guy.

Connor P Price
07-19-2011, 8:21 PM
you know not what you speak. the receiver has been properly demilled and is no longer an MG. It isn't even a firearm. When a new receiver is welded up using the front trunnion section, as long as the semi-auto blocking bar is welded in BEFORE the receiver is complete, it is a semi-auto receiver, not an MG receiver, even if some of the parts used to complete the receiver were once an MG.

^^^^ Don't listen to this guy.

OP, these two have proven time and time again that they know what they're talking about. Be assured that relying on their responses is the best course of action.

ke6guj
07-19-2011, 8:23 PM
OP, these two have proven time and time again that they know what they're talking about. Be assured that relying on their responses is the best course of action.

I'd prefer that he hear from others, rather than me, since I am the one buying the demilled receiver from him :D

DRH
07-19-2011, 8:30 PM
If it is properly demilled it is scrap metal, nothing more and has no restrictions from state law. In this case it would be on the buyer to make whatever mods are necessary for it to be a semi auto before the pieces are reassembled back into a firearm. Following an ATF approved design would be smart.

AJAX22
07-19-2011, 8:31 PM
I'd prefer that he hear from others, rather than me, since I am the one buying the demilled receiver from him :D

I'll throw my 2 cents in and say that you're 100% spot on with this.

Connor P Price
07-19-2011, 8:34 PM

:D Figures. Good find!

I'm sure the OP can look at the link in your signature regarding AOW's and C&R SBS/SBRs to get a basic understanding of just how familiar you are with CA firearms laws, I know that would put my mind at ease a bit. Others will be coming along as well.

Truth is, G-ForceJunkie nailed it right off the bat, as much as I hate to give him credit (he always beats me in rifle matches :p.) What you have there isn't much different from most piles of metal.

12voltguy
07-21-2011, 11:40 AM

you should read & not post:p

prebans
07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Folks, that's what I needed to hear. Yes, I am a FFL/SOT out of WI. While I'm always happy to ship anything possible into CA, I also want to be 110% sure that everything's in the clear.

ke6guj, I'm sorry for not taking your word when we emailed. But my experiences with LE and ATF have taught me to be totally solid on the law. Having the buyer verify that what they want is legal just doesn't work so well. ;) Enjoy your receiver pieces!

Mike

Connor P Price
07-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Folks, that's what I needed to hear. Yes, I am a FFL/SOT out of WI. While I'm always happy to ship anything possible into CA, I also want to be 110% sure that everything's in the clear.

ke6guj, I'm sorry for not taking your word when we emailed. But my experiences with LE and ATF have taught me to be totally solid on the law. Having the buyer verify that what they want is legal just doesn't work so well. ;) Enjoy your receiver pieces!

Mike

Thanks for being a stand up guy and doing whats needed to deal with us here in CA. Our laws suck, but its even worse when we can't get legal items because dealers refuse to deal with CA.

jdberger
07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
^^^
What he said!