PDA

View Full Version : Marin County deputy killed off duty

BigDogatPlay
07-19-2011, 2:55 PM
This was within a couple miles of my home and hits pretty close. Very tragic, and why getting in the middle of things off duty is an action that all peace officers must approach with the utmost of caution.

Stay safe out there guys... stay safe.

Story at the Press Democrat. (http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110719/ARTICLES/110719486/1350?Title=Deputy-2nd-man-killed-in-Petaluma-confrontation)

RIP Deputy Mathiesen.

bjl333
07-19-2011, 3:05 PM
Man!! Thats so sad ... RIP Deputy Jim Mathiesen!! :angelsad2:

biochembruin
07-19-2011, 3:36 PM
Sad, and completely preventable. Should have been armed, and should have avoided confrontations off duty. I know it's hard for an officer to forget he's not on duty when he's off duty, but he should have done what we often suggest. Lock the doors and call the police, especially if he's unarmed.

Please, brothers, learn from the mistakes of others, and always carry off duty, no matter what.

Either way, he's a hero who sacrificed himself to help another.

llamatrnr
07-19-2011, 3:53 PM
Dammit! Sorry and very sad to see

TurboChrisB
07-19-2011, 3:55 PM
Sad

TrailerparkTrash
07-19-2011, 4:18 PM
Sad, and completely preventable. Should have been armed, and should have avoided confrontations off duty. I know it's hard for an officer to forget he's not on duty when he's off duty, but he should have done what we often suggest. Lock the doors and call the police, especially if he's unarmed.

Please, brothers, learn from the mistakes of others, and always carry off duty, no matter what.

Agree 110%. Why if going to "help out a friend" would an off duty cop NOT have his gun with him????

I've been full time sworn for 21 years and I don't use the restroom without having a firearm close by, let alone going to help someone in a bitter 415 Family dispute involving an ex-boyfriend who's a gang member. Then again, I would never get involved off duty in a BF/GF/Family dispute to begin with.

R.I.P.

Spanky8601
07-19-2011, 6:04 PM
Tragic. Rest in Peace.

FLIGHT762
07-19-2011, 6:06 PM

Agree 110%. Why if going to "help out a friend" would an off duty cop NOT have his gun with him????

I've been full time sworn for 21 years and I don't use the restroom without having a firearm close by, let alone going to help someone in a bitter 415 Family dispute involving an ex-boyfriend who's a gang member. Then again, I would never get involved off duty in a BF/GF/Family dispute to begin with.

R.I.P.

Not to go off topic here, but to answer your question, where I worked, I would estimate about 10%-15% of Officers carried regularly off duty. After 911, I would guess about 30% carried. I always carried regularly O/D and was looked at as a Zealot by my peers. In some departments, there's a lot of apathy and a lot of "It won't happen to me" attitude. I didn't let my peers dictate when I should carry. Personally, I believe a sworn Officer that doesn't carry O/D, is foolish. Many of my peers needed some class time with Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

I tried to get rifles in the cars before the North Hollywood shoot out (actually in 1994, after SFPD Officer James Guelff was murdered. The suspect stopped on his way to S F in the City I worked in and stole gas at a gas station. The shootout could have happened there). I was told by my police Chief at the time " I don't want any Lone Rangers out there". :confused:

A few months ago, I was coming home at about 0100 after a long City Council meeting I attended. When I got to the top of my stairs, I was startled by an adult male hiding on my doorstep, feigning tying his shoe. He was up to no good, but apparently he was discovered before he did anything. I was glad I was carrying, even though I didn't need to use it.

RIP Deputy Mathiesen.

psango
07-19-2011, 6:57 PM
Darn, RIP.

Gio
07-19-2011, 7:19 PM
Very sad indeed :(

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-19-2011, 7:24 PM
Not good to hear. I worked with Jim for a while. Guess I'm going to have to go think about this for a while and then get hold of the family and see if there's anything I can do for them. :(

Falconis
07-19-2011, 7:29 PM
For those of you that work in departments that think you are a zealot if you carry off duty, you gotta ask them if they drive without insurance. There isn't much difference in the analogy.

DriftinG Z32
07-19-2011, 9:22 PM
I'm sure some are afraid of the liability aspect of it too.

yzernie
07-19-2011, 9:31 PM
Damn sad. RIP our fallen brethren.

DNA
07-20-2011, 1:49 AM
RIP. Keep your wits about you and maintain situational awareness.

Dan

nagorb
07-20-2011, 2:03 AM
As much as many of us complain about LEOs its always said when one is lost, especially when trying to help others.

RIP

Bobby Ricigliano
07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
R.I.P. Brother.

(1) I don't get involved with any drama like this unless it is an immediate family member.

(2) I don't walk out the door without a 417 EVER.

dno
07-20-2011, 1:32 PM
I have to wonder, what was this deputy thinking?

Unarmed, dealing with a violent ex-con, goes outside to confront him...

I only hope some dept's use this as a training issue, basically a "how not to do it" type lesson.

RIP, deputy.

Johnnykck
07-20-2011, 2:10 PM
Sad. he was trying to help out and got killed for it. I hope the scumbag that did this will hang for it.

Notorious
07-20-2011, 9:58 PM
Sad. he was trying to help out and got killed for it. I hope the scumbag that did this will hang for it.

Ummm... the scumbag that did it was shot to death by the son of the mother of the daughter that he used to date as he tried to kidnap the mother to make her drive him around to find the daughter.:)

But then again, I would not be opposed to hanging his dead, rotting corpse off the main bridge in the city as an example of what happens to cop killing scum.:chris:

Rest in peace, brother. You did what we all would have wanted to do as sheepdogs.

sawchain
07-20-2011, 11:26 PM
How tragic. Life is fragile and can end in an instant. Be sure to tell your loved ones how you feel about them.

...and don't let your daughters date parolees, dammit!

MrClamperSir
07-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Wow, that's tragic!

R.I.P.

pinwheels
07-21-2011, 2:35 PM
From today's Marin IJ:
"Memorial contributions can be sent to the Marin County Deputy Sheriffs' Association, Mathiesen Family Trust, c/o Marin County Federal Credit Union, 30 N. San Pedro Road #115, San Rafael, CA 94903."

R.I.P., Deputy

Ron-Solo
07-21-2011, 10:55 PM
R.I.P. Brother

BigDogatPlay
07-22-2011, 10:59 AM
The public memorial service for Deputy Jim Mathiesen has been scheduled for next Friday, July 29 at the Marin Veterans Memorial Auditorium. The service will be open to the public, and all are welcome.

Being cross posted by us locals on Facebook as well.

Story here. (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/07/22/BA8S1KDKTE.DTL)

copter976
07-25-2011, 2:42 PM
He figured he could "low key" it since he knew the guy and had a good rapport with him. Just goes to show how unstable folks can be...
As far as helping? I would have (and HAVE) As far as going unarmed? I wouldn't have. It's all a choice.
I too worked with Jim, though I didn't know him very well. His place in heaven is well secured...

epilepticninja
07-25-2011, 9:03 PM
Damn, that sucks. RIP