PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever use a remington pump action patrol rifle

unsped
01-05-2007, 2:56 PM
delete

leverage
01-05-2007, 3:02 PM
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm

"comes in .223 Remington caliber, uses standard M16/AR15 style magazines and has a 16 1/2" barrel."

Neat

kermit
01-05-2007, 7:12 PM
The 2007 catalog lists it as a Ranch Carbine, so it should be available to non-LE types, too.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/07catalog.pdf

There shouldn't be any California restrictions on it since it is a pump-action.

taquito971
01-05-2007, 7:43 PM
I have seen them at the gun store but at nearly $700 on the shelf and it being pump action I left it there. I may have considered it at half that, but not at $700

Brian

jumbopanda
01-05-2007, 9:01 PM
I kinda fail to see the advantage of a pump action .223 over a semi auto, especially at that price.

M. Sage
01-05-2007, 9:15 PM
It is kind of a moot point with the OLL thing going on now.

My dad's got an old Remington 760, the precurser to this rifle. I could never hit anything with it, but he can. It was a nice rifle, ignoring the fact I used to be a horrible shot (hahaha, USED to be!?). I need to try that thing again.

Aluisious
01-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Solution in search of a problem?

"Damn semi-autos are just too effective. What we really need is a way to pretend we are arming out officers well without actually giving them something that would be useful in a major firefight."

dragonbait1a
01-06-2007, 1:54 AM
It's an answer I've looked into because I am more likely to buy an $700 off-the-shelf rifle then play with building a OLL AR-Style rifle for $1000+. I can't build up an AK without the right tools/shop (If only people would sell gripless already assembled, it'd be a different story).

M-1 Carbines cost a lot and the ammo isn't as common. The other close choices are the SU-16 (interesting... but on the back burner) and a Mini-14 (100% functional 10rnd mags can be problematic to find)

The Remington 7615 uses common, cheap, low-recoil, effective* Ammo and Mags that I can buy off-the-shelf and Know that they'll work. The only issue holding me back is reliablity (I've heard bad things about 7600 series rifles, Is this one better?) and the quest fo a G-19. We need another combat pistol more then a combat rifle. I'd prefer the version with iron sights (why are they leaving off iron sights? not using a scope is too "Military?" This trend is in Bolt Actions too.), but could survive without them.

I think its a great answer for CA residents who want detachable mags and a Pistol Grip or not have to educate LE Officers at every trip to the range. Yes you have to pump every shot, the same is true with a 12ga, no-one maligns the pump then. Yes, I'd rather have an AK or AR-Variant. But withoin the limits of the law, this seems to be a reasonable alterrnative.

RGB
*Ammo effectiveness may vary, consult you local target for details :D

Mssr. Eleganté
01-06-2007, 2:23 AM
To answer the original question...

Yes, two people have actually used the Remington pump action "patrol" rifle.

The first was a guy who works for Remington in their R&D department. He was chosen to test fire the new design and he found the rifle to be "totally awesome".

The second, and only other person to ever fire the Remington pump action "patrol" rifle was the host of American Rifleman Television on the Outdoor Channel. He found the rilfe to be "totally awesome" and "a real contender in the police tactical rifle market".

A third guy, one of the cameramen on the American Rifleman Televison show segment, almost fired the Remington pump action "patrol" rifle, but after handling it he decided not to.

I've only seen pictures of the Remington pump action "patrol" rifle on the Remington web site, so take this advice for what it's worth, but I think the rilfe is totally awesome and a real contender in the police tactical rifle market, at least for those police departments that are too proud to accept free M16's from the Federal government.

kermit
01-06-2007, 6:26 AM
I can see where some PD would want to have a carbine that has similar operating charracteristics to the tried and true Remington pump shotgun.
It also makes sense from the training, public relations, and liability standpoints to not have their officers carry the "evil" M-16 rifles.:eek:

And let's not forget the damage a full auto weapon, in inexperienced hands, can inflict on innocent furniture:D

M. Sage
01-06-2007, 7:18 AM
Solution in search of a problem?

"Damn semi-autos are just too effective. What we really need is a way to pretend we are arming out officers well without actually giving them something that would be useful in a major firefight."

Oh, I don't know. I wouldn't feel "out-gunned" if I was using a pump rifle vs a semi-auto. The pump action is also more likely to force the shooter to actually line shots up. The fact your rifle is a semi seems to stick in the back of your mind sometimes. Follow-up shots will be a tad slower, but I'd bet you would see more first-shot hits, especially with the amount of training officers (don't) get.

@Dragonbait: Bad reliability in the 7600-series? These have been around for a LOOONG time, and are based on Remington's shotguns.

elsolo
01-06-2007, 11:54 AM
The one Rem 7600 I shot was a 30.06 and it had feeding problems.

If you ever travel 2000+ iles for a hunting trip, don't let anybody convince you they have a great rifle you can borrow so you don't need to bring one of your own. That's how I got to shoot a Rem 7600, and I was unimpressed.

HKROB
01-06-2007, 12:49 PM
remington also has a 308 pump action it was in guns & ammo about 3 mounths ago

M. Sage
01-06-2007, 3:17 PM
remington also has a 308 pump action it was in guns & ammo about 3 mounths ago

It used to be available in .30-30, .300 Savage and a few others, too... back when it was a 760, at least.

Strange that rifle had feeding problems. Seems like it'd be a pretty foolproof system.

jumbopanda
01-06-2007, 3:19 PM
And let's not forget the damage a full auto weapon, in inexperienced hands, can inflict on innocent furniture:D

Good point. :D

mike100
01-06-2007, 4:01 PM
These were made as brush rifles where iron sights are good for quick shots at closer ranges. I remember somebody on another forum calling them meat-master rifles since the hunters that utilized them were meat hunters and didn't have to have a premium rifle.

I haven't heard about any of them being nearly as accurate as a bolt action, but they would seem to be pretty tough. The recent LE marketing at remington suggests that it would be a good piece for cops trained on 870's without having to do more training on an m4 or whatever. I saw one at turners a year ago. I think they sent it back.