PDA

View Full Version : OC Sheriff's Dept physical fitness test

its mcgavin son
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
The job bulletin indicates that I will have to maneuver past "4-foot high hurdles"; my question is, will I have to run and jump the hurdles or do I jump them from a still position? Can I place my hands/arms on the hurdles as leverage while I'm jumping?

I'm only asking these questions because I'm practicing for the physical fitness test on Saturday and I want to be confident with every aspect of testing.

Kimber
07-19-2011, 12:10 PM
You SHOULD be able to run and place your hand/s on the obstacle.

I highly recommend that you contact OCSO Background/recruiting division. They will be able to give you all of the info you need. They may also run test or practice PAT/PFT test's so you will know exactly what you need to do.

Tacit Blue
07-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Just so you know, rumor has it that you spend 3-5 years in jails. Then you have the opportunity to goto patrol..

Check here for more info.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?166962-OC-Sheriff-s-Dept.

If it's agilties course, your going to have to run and clear them. The whole idea behind it is to simulate a suspect chase, however i can't say for sure with OCSD. I've only done the one at Miramar, for SDPD.

its mcgavin son
07-19-2011, 1:04 PM
Just so you know, rumor has it that you spend 3-5 years in jails. Then you have the opportunity to goto patrol..

Check here for more info.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?166962-OC-Sheriff-s-Dept.

Yes, that's a given. And I actually wouldn't mind the jails. I'd spend my whole life in there as long as I receive a paycheck and benefits.

Tacit Blue
07-19-2011, 1:09 PM
Yes, that's a given. And I actually wouldn't mind the jails. I'd spend my whole life in there as long as I receive a paycheck and benefits.

We'll good luck to you man!! Hopefully you'll get picked up :cool:

CA State parks is another option, or BLM,U.S Park Service. Since you have a Degree.

retired
07-19-2011, 1:27 PM
I don't recall any hurdles when I took the OC Sheriff's tests decades ago, so obviously they have changed it.

That said, I can honestly say that out of all of the dept. physical agility tests that I took; including my own dept. when I was finally hired, OC Sheriff's was the hardest one bar none.

It was run in soft, deep beach sand. I started off full speed around the slalom course and realized quickly I would never finish the course if I didn't slow a bit. I did finish in a great time, but man, that sand was tough. So was hanging on the pull up bar while the instructor read the instructions for about 40 seconds, then having to pump out 20 pull ups, not chin ups. That was 37yrs. ago and I was in a little better shape than I am now.:D

Good luck!

its mcgavin son
07-19-2011, 2:05 PM
Haha, amazing! Thank you. I just spoke to an OC employee whom informed me I will be able to place my hands on the hurdle(s). Poor lady, she sounded like she was real busy.

OC's test definitely sounds fun. I am little sad because I'm scheduled for a written test for San Diego County (Detentions Information) this Saturday as well. Oh well, that's life.

TurboChrisB
07-19-2011, 2:58 PM
Yeah, you'll usually end up working in the jails for a couple years at least...but hey, I've talked to two Deputys and they both enjoyed their stints at the jail.

TrailerparkTrash
07-19-2011, 3:07 PM

Orange County Sheriff........... you're looking at like 8-10 years in the jails. That's reality. :eek::eek::eek:

fullrearview
07-19-2011, 3:27 PM
Depends on the person administering the test... 1st time I did it, I was fine. I jumped them and touched one hand on the hurdle...

Second time, I had to restart three times. She wanted me to put my chest on them, and roll over it... Either way, it's not hard at all.

TJ3000
07-20-2011, 3:12 AM
Those 4 foot hurdles actually aren't bad, they're called "Belly Bars" for a reason. I remember doing that....

Start at the green saw horse. from there "I think" you run under the ropes to the switchbacks... from there... is the Six Foot wood wall... Believe me your going to need TECHNIQUE to get over that wall, it is slippery as hell! From there your going to run to the Balance Beam... after the balance beam your going to hit the belly bars "4 Foot Hurdles" after that... I forget but you MIGHT... hit the six foot concrete wall which isn't bad... then run next to the Monkey Bars... and do push ups 1 Sir, 2 sir.... 10 Sir... after that run through the make shift window and tag the wall to stop the time...

How do I know? I took the Pre Employment Class and took the Physical Fitness Class... I would highly recommend you take those classes so on Black Monday when Tac Officer yells at you and says what have you done to prepare yourself for the academy? You tell them what you did!!!

Good Luck!

erik18
07-20-2011, 4:56 AM
Orange County Sheriff........... you're looking at like 8-10 years in the jails. That's reality. :eek::eek::eek:

Actually that's wrong. At it's peak it was at most 8 years but that was many years ago. There are people getting out in as little as 4 years now. Just depends on amount of education/military time you have.

Ask me how I know? ;-0

9mmepiphany
07-20-2011, 9:18 AM
Good attitude. Use the time wisely...go back to school and get an advanced degree...start putting money away in a pre-tax retirement account

its mcgavin son
07-20-2011, 9:59 AM
Those 4 foot hurdles actually aren't bad, they're called "Belly Bars" for a reason. I remember doing that....

Start at the green saw horse. from there "I think" you run under the ropes to the switchbacks... from there... is the Six Foot wood wall... Believe me your going to need TECHNIQUE to get over that wall, it is slippery as hell! From there your going to run to the Balance Beam... after the balance beam your going to hit the belly bars "4 Foot Hurdles" after that... I forget but you MIGHT... hit the six foot concrete wall which isn't bad... then run next to the Monkey Bars... and do push ups 1 Sir, 2 sir.... 10 Sir... after that run through the make shift window and tag the wall to stop the time...

How do I know? I took the Pre Employment Class and took the Physical Fitness Class... I would highly recommend you take those classes so on Black Monday when Tac Officer yells at you and says what have you done to prepare yourself for the academy? You tell them what you did!!!

Good Luck!

Lol thanks. I will definitely look into that. I need to pass the tests on Saturday first. Wishful thinking has always jinxed me

Notorious
07-20-2011, 9:02 PM
Every department has their own protocol on how you want to do things as long as it meets the State minimum standards. They are free to add more to it and make it more difficult if they wanted.

I remember some departments didn't even require it for pre-service and laterals because they figured you already passed it in the academy but some make you do the same POST test and some add tons of crap to it.

IMHO, Burbank PD had the toughest one by far. They strung everything together into this 2 minute course from hell that had everything and by the end of the sequence, I didn't even have enough strength to lift my leg up with my arms to get it over a 1 foot tall wall section. Then they made you squeeze a strength meter to make sure you still had enough strength to pull a 12 pound trigger with either hand. The whole point is to see if you can shoot strong or weak hand after a long foot pursuit through various obstacles and terrain. Made sense, but man, did it suck. I passed it, but that was also 16 years ago when I was in decent shape. Now I think I might pass out and have a heart attack within the first 30 seconds.

its mcgavin son
07-23-2011, 4:02 PM
That obstacle course looked like fun. I didn't make the selection, however. I had 2 more traffic citations than allowed for their 7 years cap. Both tickets occurred when I was a dumb kid. Oh well, thanks for the input in this thread guys.

Tacit Blue
07-24-2011, 10:28 PM
That obstacle course looked like fun. I didn't make the selection, however. I had 2 more traffic citations than allowed for their 7 years cap. Both tickets occurred when I was a dumb kid. Oh well, thanks for the input in this thread guys.

If you don't mind me asking what were these citations?

buckethead
07-27-2011, 9:50 AM
Haha, amazing! Thank you. I just spoke to an OC employee whom informed me I will be able to place my hands on the hurdle(s). Poor lady, she sounded like she was real busy.

OC's test definitely sounds fun. I am little sad because I'm scheduled for a written test for San Diego County (Detentions Information) this Saturday as well. Oh well, that's life.

its very easy to reschedule for SDSD, if they have open recruitment. i can give you the email address of the person to reschedule. On PM

Marty33
07-27-2011, 10:29 PM
As a bit of trivia, in the old days (LAPD and CHP) to ride a motor you had to be 6 feet tall, and able to pick the bike upright after it had been laid down on its side. Many physical fitness tests that the old timers had to pass are now considered "discriminatory".

DP1035
08-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Actually that's wrong. At it's peak it was at most 8 years but that was many years ago. There are people getting out in as little as 4 years now. Just depends on amount of education/military time you have.

Ask me how I know? ;-0

my friend at 18 is also gettin out to patrol with just over 4 years in at the jails, all depends on those points...

negolien
08-03-2011, 3:33 AM
Depends on what the hurdles are really. I had walls and high lows intermixed. The walls were jumped the high lows were ducked between without touching.

Notorious
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Ask me how I know? ;-0

If you have a special skill such as language that is needed at a particular station, they may get you out sooner. Some guys with lateral patrol experience have also been pulled out sooner.

I was asked if I wanted to be on a "particular" task force when I was first hired but I said no thanks... Not interested.

erik18
08-03-2011, 4:06 PM
If you have a special skill such as language that is needed at a particular station, they may get you out sooner. Some guys with lateral patrol experience have also been pulled out sooner.

I was asked if I wanted to be on a "particular" task force when I was first hired but I said no thanks... Not interested.

Do you work even work for OCSD? Your first paragraph is not true in the slightest. It doesn't matter if you're fluent in any language. The only thing that will get you out to patrol is points based off of time on, education, and military.

Notorious
08-03-2011, 9:28 PM
You are absolutely right. I was relating my experience with LA and SB counties back in the early to mid 90's. Should have clarified that.

Ray22
10-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Yes physical therapy can be the option for the physical fitness but it can costs u a lot for the physical fitness u can have good diet exercise can also fit physically......