PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE! Thanks Ivan! Safe is GONE!

QuarterBoreGunner
01-05-2007, 1:31 PM
Oh Mighty CalGunners! Heed my pleas!

Here's the deal; when I bought my house in San Francisco 7 years ago I had the movers (regular moving guys, nothing specialized) move my 450 lbs, 60"x20"x30" safe into the house.... up two flights of stairs. It was like watching the slaves build the pyramids in the 10 Commandments, but they go it up there with no problem.

Well I just sold the house and need to get it back out again ASAP; why ASAP? because the buyer was undecided as to whether he wanted to buy the safe and keep it where it was. Well he decided last night that he doesn't want it and escrow closes a week from today, January 13th!!!

I just need it moved down the two flights of stairs and into the garage; from there I can move it with a van to it's new home.

Any suggestions for a professional safe mover here in the SF/North Peninsula area? I talked to Liberty in SJ and they gave me a quick estimate of $600!!!! The darn safe didn't cost that much!

Yipes!

Thanks!

slickjoesd
01-05-2007, 1:33 PM
they have "safe" dollys, rent one of them and 4 "day" workers from your local home depot.

SigShooter
01-05-2007, 1:47 PM
+1 on renting a safe dolly, but I think you should try bribing 4 friends with free beer before hiring "Home Depot help".

If it has external hinges you could try taking the door off and moving it in 2 pieces. Some doors are as heavy as the rest of the safe, so it could cut the weight in half.

Aluisious
01-05-2007, 1:49 PM
Dude if you kill 4 day laborers with a safe you're going to have major problems on your hands.

zyl8tr
01-05-2007, 2:31 PM
Wow, you sold a house? Congrats.

And good luck with the safe.

mike100
01-05-2007, 3:20 PM
The most economical move might be to give the safe away for free to the new owner and get a new one delivered asap to the new location.

QuarterBoreGunner
01-05-2007, 3:30 PM
I tried to talk the new owner into taking it for free, but he wasn't intrested...curses!

And yeah, I sold a house. Hurray for me. Now I just need to get this darn safe out.

Nix on the day workers thing, I really need someone that knows what they're doing.

Tunis
01-05-2007, 3:50 PM
...just rent an appliance hand truck and find 2-3 friends. going down the stairs shouldn't be that difficult compared to going up. my brother and i moved a 400lb safe upstairs..it was difficult, but we pulled it off. good luck and congrats on the new house!

mike100
01-05-2007, 5:13 PM
going down on its side might be easy..slide it down the steps on a heavy blanket. certainly would only need about 3 people..much easier than going up, right?

Franksremote
01-05-2007, 5:47 PM
going down on its side might be easy..slide it down the steps on a heavy blanket. certainly would only need about 3 people..much easier than going up, right?

Err, that sounds kinda dangerous :eek: imagine it getting away from you and/or your friends, 450 lbs sliding on its own isn't gonna be pretty when it stops (abruptly)...

The best is the appliance dolly. It secures it and allows the others to just focus on moving it one step at a time. We got one down from the third floor at a friends apartment once, it took 4 of us (really 3 with a spotter) and worked out fine even though we had to negotiate 6 short flights of stairs.

Not to be the opportunist, but what are you planning for the safe? You could probably give it away if that person wants to move it...

C-pher
01-05-2007, 6:09 PM
I have a 900 lbs safe that me and two buddies moved into my house. Granted it was all on the first floor. But, one guy used to play college rugby, and the other was a line backer for Boston College. So they are two pretty big guys.

Anyway, we had a equipment dolly. They lean back and these legs with wheels flip back. So when it's leaned back, it's on four wheels. And, it has these long rollers down the back so when you do down a step, it rolls back on those rollers and goes down one step at a time.

Try getting one of those and like they said, a couple of buddies and move it for the price of renting one of those dollys at U-Haul.

Bing
01-05-2007, 6:29 PM
Have you tried removing the doors and shelves to lighten the safe?

ivanimal
01-06-2007, 1:14 AM
Chris I own what we need. PM me and we can do it next week.

QuarterBoreGunner
01-06-2007, 6:47 AM
Door can't come off; sealed piano hinge. Shelves are out (or will be; they're pretty light).

Ivan - PM sent.

Bing
01-06-2007, 7:21 AM
Can you tip it and lay it on it's side? Is there enough clearance for it to slide down the steps rather than carrying it down?

QuarterBoreGunner
01-06-2007, 7:24 AM
Already suggested thanks, but the chance of RUNAWAY SAFE! is a little much.

Bing
01-06-2007, 7:36 AM
Would it would "run away" if you have 4 guys moving it. Two from the bottom to slow it down and two from above w/ ropes to pull and slow down the descent. A refrigerator dolly will work but it will beat the heck out of your steps when coming down.

five.five-six
01-07-2007, 12:08 AM
call your realtor. removal of the safe at later date can easly be added to the escro docs no. big deal

QuarterBoreGunner
01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Props to Ivanimal and his crack squad of ninja movers; looks like I'm home free (sort of).

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and offers for help!

Calguns! is there anything it can't do!

edog11
01-07-2007, 11:59 AM
We need to see some pics or video of this . Glad you were able to get it moved

QuarterBoreGunner
01-07-2007, 4:53 PM
Absolutely!

A soon as it happens.

Ivan's moving Ninja's and I will be performing the extraction on Tuesday night.

Altahick
01-07-2007, 6:14 PM
just lay it down and push it down the stairs :D jk hehe

five.five-six
01-07-2007, 6:26 PM
We need to see some pics or video of this . Glad you were able to get it moved

+1 video will be funny

Mnort10x
01-07-2007, 7:28 PM
http://www.handtruck.com/

I've used one for years. 450lbs, two flights of stairs, one guy, no problem.

Addax
01-08-2007, 1:50 AM
Google Safe Movers, San Francisco and it will provide you a list of different safe companies and some of these companies move safes too.

Or, call one of the moving companies in your area, there should be a few that can move a safe for you to your garage.

My guess is that it should probably cost you around $250-$500 to have someone move it for you.

Good Luck,

Oh Mighty CalGunners! Heed my pleas!

Here's the deal; when I bought my house in San Francisco 7 years ago I had the movers (regular moving guys, nothing specialized) move my 450 lbs, 60"x20"x30" safe into the house.... up two flights of stairs. It was like watching the slaves build the pyramids in the 10 Commandments, but they go it up there with no problem.

Well I just sold the house and need to get it back out again ASAP; why ASAP? because the buyer was undecided as to whether he wanted to buy the safe and keep it where it was. Well he decided last night that he doesn't want it and escrow closes a week from today, January 13th!!!

I just need it moved down the two flights of stairs and into the garage; from there I can move it with a van to it's new home.

Any suggestions for a professional safe mover here in the SF/North Peninsula area? I talked to Liberty in SJ and they gave me a quick estimate of $600!!!! The darn safe didn't cost that much!

Yipes!

Thanks!

QuarterBoreGunner
01-08-2007, 6:11 PM
Truthfully we looked long and hard at Fort Worth, TX.
Her dad lives there, housing is (comparatively) inexpensive and plentiful. Still kicking it around.

QuarterBoreGunner
01-09-2007, 5:46 PM
Thanks to Ivanimal my albatross safe is GONE! Props to your brother and his two assistants. They showed up right on time with a big truck and a fridge dolly. Lifted that sucker right up and eased it down two flights of stairs; one flight with two turns and the other flight with one turn.
No harm no foul and out the door.

Thanks again to everyone that volunteered to help or made suggestions!

ivanimal
01-09-2007, 8:09 PM
Ha! at 6-3 260 I am the runt of the litter!:D My Brother could probably done it himself:eek:

Glad it got done so fast, his company really is the best.:cool:

wilit
01-09-2007, 8:26 PM
TX is a nice state. I was set on Reno for a while, but I'm liking Texas the more and more I do my homework on it. Dallas/FW is a great area from what I understand.

San Antonio is a beautiful city. The riverwalk is an awesome area.