PDA

View Full Version : Ammoman + Wolf = Good?

Aluisious
01-05-2007, 9:06 AM
I see the prices from Ammoman.com for Wolf ammo are quite cheap. I'm looking at the .223 Remington which comes to around 180 shipped for 1000 rounds. Is this acceptible stuff for blowing away tin cans? Is the price good, or can I get cheaper (I'm not reloading)?

pnkssbtz
01-05-2007, 9:48 AM
Go to ar15.com or here and just search for "wolf" and you will get a lot of info.

Wolf seems to be a love/hate thing.

chickenfried
01-05-2007, 9:51 AM
As is ammoman......

Wolf seems to be a love/hate thing.

ibbryn
01-05-2007, 9:54 AM
As is ammoman......
I buy all my ammo from ammoman. Never had any negative issues.

SixthChameleon
01-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Sportsman's Guide appears to be even cheaper: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=310940

At the range last weekend, my buddy was having problems with Wolf in his new Stag upper not extracting, which left the bolt jammed shut with the extractor stuck on the shell. The fix required repeated pulls on the charging handle along with banging the stock on the bench and ramming a .22 cleaning rod down the barrel. This happened three times. After the third, he swore off Wolf forever, gave me his seven remaining boxes, and bought a hundred rounds at the range store.

Chaingun
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Wolf is decent and I like Ammoman since shipping is included.

With all their legal BS, Sportsman's Guide sucks. I thought they quit shipping ammo to the Caliban.

bwiese
01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
At the range last weekend, my buddy was having problems with Wolf in his new Stag upper not extracting...

Was this a 16" (chrome-lined) or 20" (not chrome-lined) upper?

This can also be a sign of poor lubrication of bolt.

grywlfbg
01-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I'll second my support of ammoman. They've always been super-reliable and I also like that shipping is included. Been using them for 4 years now - stand-up folks to deal with.

I've never tried Wolf - heard too many sketchy things on ar15.com. I stick w/ name brand US milsurp or Fiocchi .223 Rem ($289/1000 on ammoman).

Chris

Aluisious
01-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the opinions.

I'm thinking of trying Wolf, just to see for myself. At worst I don't like it and unload it on someone who does, I figure.

rips31
01-05-2007, 11:27 AM
i like eric's prices and he ships fast.

bwiese
01-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the opinions.

I'm thinking of trying Wolf, just to see for myself. At worst I don't like it and unload it on someone who does, I figure.

I shoot Wolf sometimes (steel-case stuff). I've also shot JSC Barnaul.

They are not esp great on accuracy as compared to quality 55gr FMJ ammo (Fed Amer. Eagle - or better yet, XM193).

However, I've never had a problem. But then all my AR barrels (except one) are chrome-lined, and don't have over-tight and/or rough chambers - and my guns are well-lubed.

I did shoot some 223 FMJ Wolf "Premium" brass cased ammo that CG gave me at Nov's Calguns Shoot-n-Q at Chabot - it was causing his rifles problems (and I know he maintains them well) but worked fine in mine.

Harbinger
01-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Bill, I think you've said this before... if an AR pattern rifle won't shoot Wolf ammo, there's something wrong with the rifle.

This has been my experience as well. I've only seen two ARs 'fail' with Wolf ammo... and they were using either horribly built or out-of-spec uppers.

Mike

thefurball
01-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I have never had a problem with Wolf ammo or with Ammoman. He has the most cost effective 50BMG (read cheap) I can find.

chickenfried
01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
There are plenty of threads on various forums about ammoman. If all goes well with the order people seem satisfied. But if there's a problem with the order even if he's at fault the customer service seems to be lacking. Then there's the whole misrepresented sks fiasco that got him the boot from ar15.com and other item listings with questionable descriptions.

proraptor
01-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Using wolf ammo in a CMMG will void its warranty.....Thats enough for me to stay away from it

SixthChameleon
01-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Was this a 16" (chrome-lined) or 20" (not chrome-lined) upper?

This can also be a sign of poor lubrication of bolt.

I was under the impression that all of Stag's barrels were chrome lined, but after looking at their website, it appears not. He has a flattop 20" (they only show the 4H which has an A2 upper), and it's apparently not chrome lined. We tried lubing the bolt, to no avail. I have a 2H upper and haven't had any problems with Wolf.

trouble
01-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Just did my first order through ammoman... no problems.

Haven't tried Wolf yet, but supposed to be no problems on a chromed barrel and in-spec parts. As others said, love it or hate it. There's certainly _many_ cases of people with several thousand rounds through of it.

There's an ammo price list over at arfcom:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888
Always worth checking out there to see who has the best price.

Aluisious
01-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Well I have a chrome lined bbl and plan on lubing my AR with my trusty spraycan of CLP before hitting the range...so I should be OK on the Wolf!

SigShooter
01-05-2007, 12:41 PM
The main thing to remember when shooting Wolf (steel cased) ammo, is CLEAN your rifle before switching to brass cased ammo.

It has been my experience that the steel cases do not expand enough and allow carbon buildup in the breach. When switching over to brass, which will expand further, they will expand around any built up carbon and get stuck.

I had this happen a few times until I learned what was causing this, ever since Wolf is a valid plinking option. I just make sure to clean as soon as possible.

As for the accuracy, well you get what you pay for. You are not going to win any matches with Wolf, but any cans, melons, clays that have threatened you or your family will be sorry. I think the best grouping I have gotten with Wolf was around 5-6" at 100 yards, generally I get a nice 6" group for 5 rounds then the rest seem to open out to 8" or so.

VeryCoolCat
01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
The problem with Wolf is that they are not a manufacturer, they are an importer.

Their 7.62x39 comes from russia, but their 12ga comes from another country (Spain?).

The reliability of their ammo is debated. The fact their stuff is USUALLY steel cased means that you can't use it at certain ranges because they want brass.

Personally, I never had a problem with Wolf. You can get a bad batch of ammo, YES that does happen but I've never had a major problem.

I reccomend shooting it because it works and won't blow your gun up. Some guns are picky and won't fire wolf though. Like .30cal in M1 Carbines. I think their bullets are loaded down than the average.

Aluisious
01-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone got an answer to my question regarding whether steel cased ammo is OK with the Los Altos and Sunnyvale outdoor ranges?

Aluisious
01-05-2007, 12:45 PM
The main thing to remember when shooting Wolf (steel cased) ammo, is CLEAN your rifle before switching to brass cased ammo.

It has been my experience that the steel cases do not expand enough and allow carbon buildup in the breach. When switching over to brass, which will expand further, they will expand around any built up carbon and get stuck.

I had this happen a few times until I learned what was causing this, ever since Wolf is a valid plinking option. I just make sure to clean as soon as possible.

As for the accuracy, well you get what you pay for. You are not going to win any matches with Wolf, but any cans, melons, clays that have threatened you or your family will be sorry. I think the best grouping I have gotten with Wolf was around 5-6" at 100 yards, generally I get a nice 6" group for 5 rounds then the rest seem to open out to 8" or so.
sig'd

xenophobe
01-05-2007, 2:01 PM
The problem with Wolf is that they are not a manufacturer, they are an importer.

Wolf's parent company is Tula Cartridge Works. They indeed do make ammo, and have probably made more ammunition than any other factory in the world.

Wolf does buy/contract a lot of it's ammo from other sources though. 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 are most certainly still made by them in TCW and will forever, seeing how they are still in use by the Russian gov't. That being said, their civilian "wolf" ammo is not made to the same specification as their military production cartridges.

ja391
01-05-2007, 2:51 PM
I just ordered a case of Wolf from Sportsmanguide. Here's a link http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=153249 . Shipping was about $18, so my total was around $170. They accepted my order, so I assume they still ship ammo to CA.

I just needed some cheap ammo to use at the range. I checked prices on xm193, and decided to hold on to the small amount that I have.

Satex
01-05-2007, 3:01 PM
I buy most my bulk ammo from Eric (Ammoman) and never had any issues. BTW, his posted prices are the bottom line. With most other places, figure another $30 or so for shipping.

bwiese
01-05-2007, 3:42 PM
Anyone got an answer to my question regarding whether steel cased ammo is OK with the Los Altos and Sunnyvale outdoor ranges?

I shoot it there quite often (both places). Many many cat litter jugs filled with water have exploded at Tin Can Alley. And I've shot it at the actual formal 100yd bench range.

CWM4A1
01-05-2007, 4:01 PM
I am a lazy man, so I have an upper dedicated to shoot Wolf ammo, that took care of the "brass case gets stuck after shooting Wolf" issue. If you want to plink with Wolf because they are cheap, make sure to have chrome line bore/chamber, and a chamber brush to clean your chamber. My experience is I can shoot from 500 to 700rds w/o cleaning; but when you actually do clean you gun, it's one dirty MOFO.

As for ammoman... have a few dealing with him, stuff are shipped as expected but that's the bottom line for me. Customer service to me is not estimated by how many times things went right, it's if something goes wrong, will vendor treat you respecfully and resolve your problem.

ibbryn
01-05-2007, 4:18 PM
1 more thing re Wolf:
I fired 1000's of rounds of it thru a Mini14 and it did what expected. Is accurate and cheap enough for blasting and classes. They recently switched to a new type of coating (can't remember what, a polymer from a lacquer? or is it vice versa?) on the cartridge. I've heard that if you had a tight chamber and leave a round in the hot chamber the new coating "bonds" the chamber and cartridge. So the solution is not to leave a round in a hot, tight chamber if you can help it. I've fired 1500 of the new stuff over a weekend and had no problem in my Mini.

I've had one case of the 9mm Wolf that absolutely sucked. Failure to fire about one every 50 rounds. No kidding.
But since this was for use in class I just considered it failure training. I can now "tap, rack, bang" in my sleep.

CWM4A1
01-05-2007, 4:23 PM
Most of time, Mini-14 will chew-up and spit-out whatever you feed it. I have purchase a case of Olympic ammo before which is FTE all the way; sold the rest of them to the guy shooting next to me and his Mini-14 have no problem with it.

As for the 9mm FTF, my guess is Wolf is using harder primer. What kind of gun did you shoot it out of? I shoot my Springfield 1911 GI with Wolf .45 all day, never had a problem getting it to go bang.

ibbryn
01-05-2007, 4:43 PM
Glock 19 for the FTFire case.

stator
01-05-2007, 4:47 PM
I've been purchasing from Ammoman, Eric, for seven years now and not one problem. He has good prices and ships quickly.

My last purchase was for Wolf 7.62x39 and 5.56 NATO in the polymer coating. This coating seems much better than the lacquer. I've not had a problem with my AR shooting this. Of course, the Yugo SKS-type rifle eats up.

jumbopanda
01-05-2007, 5:00 PM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

Blue
01-05-2007, 6:43 PM
I like Ammoman. My Wolf thing is this. If you're going to shoot it, only shoot it. In my experiences if you mix Wolf/brass cased stuff the brass stuff will get stuck unless you scrub the chamber real good before switching back to brass.