PDA

View Full Version : hi-cap magazines

bigtimeinAR15
07-18-2011, 6:57 PM
now i just read the law on high-cap magazines that are pre-ban (2000 or before that) are still legal to own and use. so how can you tell the difference from new 30rd standard steel GI mag manufactured in 1999 and 0ne that was manufactured this year? i looked at my 2 (pre-year 2000) mags and there is no date of manufacturing and same on my new ones. whats up with that?

bigtimeinAR15
07-18-2011, 7:10 PM
new ones are 10/30 so maybe thats why they don't have markings?

Sniper3142
07-18-2011, 7:11 PM
Short Answer: You Can't

Long Answer: Date Stamps mean little on Large Capacity Magazines since those that legally have them can rebuild them with Brand New parts if they desire. So you can and do see what outwardly looks like Brand New Large Capacity Mags that are totally Legal.

That is why you'll see what outwardly looks like Magpul Pmags (among others). Some are 10/20 or 10/30s while others are "preban" LCMs that have had most or all of their parts replaced over time.

BigDogatPlay
07-18-2011, 8:20 PM
Short Answer: You Can't

^^^This^^^

As others will post it's not against the law to possess a magazine with a capacity >10 rounds in California. It's only against the law to import, sell, offer for sale, manufacture, etc.

Oh yeah, and insert them into a maglocked, centerfire, semi-auto rifle. ;)

Librarian
07-18-2011, 8:35 PM
See also the sticky post in the handgun forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

RickD427
07-19-2011, 5:01 AM
now i just read the law on high-cap magazines that are pre-ban (2000 or before that) are still legal to own and use. so how can you tell the difference from new 30rd standard steel GI mag manufactured in 1999 and 0ne that was manufactured this year? i looked at my 2 (pre-year 2000) mags and there is no date of manufacturing and same on my new ones. whats up with that?

There's no practical relevance to the date of manufacture on a large-capacity magazine. It's legal to possess "pre-ban" large capacity magazines and it's just as legal to possess "post-ban" magazines.

Be careful about "using" large capacity magazines with an OLL or featureless build. You may wind up creating an illegal "Assault Weapon". Again the date of manufacture doesn't matter.

Manufacturing, selling, and importing, a large-capacity magazine is a felony, also regardless of the date of manufacture.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-20-2011, 10:14 AM
This has been covered to death.

ap3572001
07-20-2011, 1:39 PM
^^^This^^^

As others will post it's not against the law to possess a magazine with a capacity >10 rounds in California. It's only against the law to import, sell, offer for sale, manufacture, etc.

Oh yeah, and insert them into a maglocked, centerfire, semi-auto rifle. ;)

I have been watching the whole magazine thing since it begun in 1994 with Federal Ban.

To ME it makes very little sense and is not written very well....

I talked about it before...

The LAW does not mention anything about USING or BUYING std. cap. magazines by anyone in the state. Right?

The idea is , that a person HAD posession of the magazines BEFORE 2000.

According to the law a 22 year old with Ruger SR9 and bunch of 17 round magazines is just fine. He or She is not in the wrong.

The whole thing makes no sense.

Some "experts" here were trying to shine some light on this with some strange and unrealistic examples.

I think he whole thing was written poorly

PS. Also it does not say anything about BUYING OR FINDING magazines.....