PDA

View Full Version : AK Build Legality questions

1911whore
01-05-2007, 7:40 AM
I read the faq and used the search function but still need answers.

1. what do I need to be in compliance with the law on an AK build? Do I need to buy a kit and than supplement with U.S. made parts?

2. Magazine, How are these things being pinned or secured and if I go 30rd detatchable mag are Monster man or gripless my only options?

3. If pinned are we removing the dust cover and bolt assy to load and then reassembling to fire?

4. Any Romanian chrome lined kits without the compensating cut in the barrel and without the funky vertical grip forend?

5. Is anyone in the sac=to area set up to drill and secure rivets? Hopefully I can meet someone that has done a few so I can end up with a good end product.

juha_teuvonnen
01-05-2007, 8:06 AM
I read the faq and used the search function but still need answers.

1. what do I need to be in compliance with the law on an AK build? Do I need to buy a kit and than supplement with U.S. made parts?

AK has 16 parts that are subject to parts count. Assuming the receiver is US made it's 1 part. The FCG (fire control group) is 4 parts. Throw in a US made gas piston, US made muzzle brake or a US made mag follower or US-made stock set and you are good to go.

2. Magazine, How are these things being pinned or secured and if I go 30rd detatchable mag are Monster man or gripless my only options?

Fixed mag: you attach a mag and install a screw that will not allow the mag release to function. The mag is now fixed, because there is no way to detach it unless you use a tool to remove the screw.

Detachable mag: if yo have 30rd mags that you bought back in the day when it was legal, you may consider a detachable mag build. In this case you are not allowed to have any of CA SB-23 "evil features" such as flash hider, pistol grip or thumbhole stock, etc. Note that "evil feature lists" in CA law (SB-23) and the expired federal AW ban are different.

3. If pinned are we removing the dust cover and bolt assy to load and then reassembling to fire?

I was told that it is possible to load fixed-mag AK through the ejection port. I'd rather not. IMHO detachable mag is the only practical option for AK if you want a shooter, not wall-hanger.

4. Any Romanian chrome lined kits without the compensating cut in the barrel and without the funky vertical grip forend?

My Romy "G" kit had no cuts in the barrel. It had a treaded barrel and a slant muzzle brake attached, which could be easily unscrewed. The handguard can be removed and reinstalled in 3 minutes. The US-made hand guards are $12 - $20 for a set, unless you want a fancy Galil-style for $35. Just throw the Romanian lower handguard in the trash, it'll probably be beat up anyway.

DV8
01-05-2007, 9:09 AM
US made floorplate also contributes 1 part to the count.

Dont throw away any parts unless they are completely trashed. I sold all of the excess parts from a friends build and got $40. Someone needs the parts somewhere.

drclark
01-05-2007, 9:17 AM
I'm going to re-use the Romy stock set. I'm going to bake the cosmo out in the oven then sand & refinish. I'm planning on cutting the forward pistol grip off the lower handguard with my bandsaw.

Anyone know where to order a monster-man AK grip (which also counts as a US part)?

Lastly, how do you remove the upper handguard from the gas tube?

drc

cornholio1
01-05-2007, 9:22 AM
I'm going to re-use the Romy stock set. I'm going to bake the cosmo out in the oven then sand & refinish. I'm planning on cutting the forward pistol grip off the lower handguard with my bandsaw.

Anyone know where to order a monster-man AK grip (which also counts as a US part)?

Lastly, how do you remove the upper handguard from the gas tube?

drc

You can use furniture polish remover.

Builder
01-05-2007, 9:35 AM
I'm planning on cutting the forward pistol grip off the lower handguard with my bandsaw. Lastly, how do you remove the upper handguard from the gas tube?
That's what I did and it turned out comfortable in the hand. The upper handguard rotates around the gas tube in either direction. Since these are rather old and have been in storage for a while, the handguard is rather stuck. Just keep working it back and forth, rotating around the gas tube. You will need to rotate it 180 so it will come on out.
Have fun,
Builder

Chaingun
01-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Not to deviate but can someone explain to me rivets and e-clips.

I have the rivets and e-clips now what do I need?:o

DV8
01-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Not to deviate but can someone explain to me rivets and e-clips.

I have the rivets and e-clips now what do I need?:o

Riveting tool/jig, pliers and dexterity :)

MonsterMan
01-05-2007, 11:43 AM

drc

Ten Percent Firearms (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=194&zenid=975a92ada863b70fda00f99a1a6bf095) or Cold War Shooters (http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=249&zenid=0b708136e136c09ad731da70e37c68d1) has them.

I think 10% might be out of stock right now though. But CWS has them.

And yes, I make them in the U.S.

MM