PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas boycott

GoodLand
07-18-2011, 1:46 PM
Cabelas is now selling Levi-Strauss which is a known anti gun monetary contributor.

Please email them and ask them to remove these items from their inventory.

Levi-Strauss and other companies are listed on the nra-ila site as anti gun money contributors.

Please help

techshot
07-18-2011, 2:05 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/gallery/futurama-fry/futurama-fry-not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

stix213
07-18-2011, 2:14 PM
How about just don't buy Levi's there?

armygunsmith
07-18-2011, 2:17 PM
How about just don't buy Levi's there?

This seems to make sense.

Gray Peterson
07-18-2011, 2:24 PM
I disagree with this attempt at boycott. It will be ineffective. We are beyond the boycott game at this time.

Will explain later.

aklover_91
07-18-2011, 2:28 PM
Wait, Levis are anti gun? Dang. They usually fit me better than Wranglers or Dickies.

Merc1138
07-18-2011, 2:33 PM
So then don't buy the levi's and if enough people don't buy levi's cabelas will stop carrying them when they end up having inventory collecting dust. There's no need to boycott(and does that really work these days? I haven't heard of a successful boycott within the last 15-20 years) a gun/outdoors shop for one product line. I'm sure they sell things made in china too, gonna boycott them over that as well?

Quser.619
07-18-2011, 2:44 PM
I'd suggest writing to Calbela's regarding Levi's, not purchasing Levi's there & mail copies of receipts of your jean purchases from their competition, but even if they invited MAIG to have a booth it wouldn't prevent me from drooling over the non-CA approved firearm goodness that they stock.

Maltese Falcon
07-18-2011, 2:45 PM
Cabela's sells thousands of items from likely hundreds of vendors so we boycott them for this one vendor?

I have spent $XXXXs of dollars on great ammo deals from them, that outweighs by far the Levi's dust up.

Sorry.

sk8804
07-18-2011, 2:46 PM
thats why I rock wrangler slim fits. haha

mbuna
07-18-2011, 2:51 PM
I wonder what pressure was brought to bear to have Cabelas carry Levi's?
I thought you had to be a vegetarian to wear them anyway?
Appropriate e-mail sent.

blazeaglory
07-18-2011, 2:57 PM
After all the Levi wearing cowboys that purchased their jeans? How could Levis be anti gun? Levis and rifles won the west

P.W.
07-18-2011, 3:07 PM
This is like saying we should boycott banging hott liberal chicks because they're anti-gun, umm yeah No... You can boycott Cabelas all you want, I'll keep on shopping there and rocking my Levi's because they fit me.

Paul S
07-18-2011, 3:10 PM
Wait, Levis are anti gun? Dang. They usually fit me better than Wranglers or Dickies.

Yeah....but Wranglers are a HECK of a lot easier on the wallet. :rolleyes:

Glock22Fan
07-18-2011, 3:10 PM
After all the Levi wearing cowboys that purchased their jeans? How could Levis be anti gun? Levis and rifles won the west

I thought no real self-respecting period cowboy would be caught dead in any make of jeans.

Surely woollen pants were the correct carb then?

Anyway, my Cabela's "The Beast" oversized camo-covered recliner chair (length 6"10" weight limit 400lbs) arrives Wednesday. How could I relax on it and support this boycott?

77bawls
07-18-2011, 3:13 PM
Sounds to me if Levi's was so worried about being anti-gun they wouldn't sell in Cabelas. :confused:

shy 7th
07-18-2011, 3:15 PM
meh. No boycott here. Hell, I won't even boycott Levis. They fit me too well and I like the way I look in their low-rise boot cuts. I don't care if they're anti-gun donors.

john.t.singh
07-18-2011, 3:26 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/gallery/futurama-fry/futurama-fry-not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

haha made my day

gunsmith
07-18-2011, 3:32 PM
I thought no real self-respecting period cowboy would be caught dead in any make of jeans.

Anyway, my Cabela's "The Beast" oversized camo-covered recliner chair (length 6"10" weight limit 400lbs) arrives Wednesday. How could I relax on it and support this boycott?

I live in outlaw/cowboy country, you'll never see Levi on anyone out here but tourist.

Wranglers, Carhartt, or whatevers cheapest at wally world. my fave pants are 20 dollar imitation carhartt from wally world.

Boycotts generally only hurt working people that's why liberals/radlibs like them so much-they hate working people.

Blackhawk556
07-18-2011, 3:51 PM
If this was the case we wouldn't buy stuff from a bunch of places.

huck
07-18-2011, 4:05 PM
Arizona Jeans.

MasterYong
07-18-2011, 4:31 PM
Cabelas is now selling Levi-Strauss which is a known anti gun monetary contributor.

Levi-Strauss and other companies are listed on the nra-ila site as anti gun money contributors.

Please help

LOLWUT?

??? :troll: ???

I mean, c'mon! Boycotting a major retailer that has (from what I've personally experienced) an outright STELLAR record in supporting the California market (via mailorder, no stores here but that's true of many states) by allowing the sale of handgun ammo right down to the wire, shipping AR parts, etc.... it just makes NO SENSE.

I love Cabela's. There. I said it.

In fact, I think I'll make an order right now in honor of this thread. I need more #7 cheapo 12 gauge rounds for clays anyways... blew through 250 this last Saturday...

BigDogatPlay
07-18-2011, 4:45 PM
I grew up in Levis and still prefer their fit above all others. But I've not bought a new pair in at least ten years since I first learned about their corporate anti 2A advocacy.

Levis is lost corporately so don't buy them... but don't boycott Cabela's over it. Send Cabela's a nice letter and ask them how they square being the world's largest hunting and fishing outfitter with carrying and promoting the products of an anti 2A company. Send it to the CEO....

Mr. Thomas L. Millner
Chief Exec. Officer, President
Cabela's Inc.
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160

Wernher von Browning
07-18-2011, 4:48 PM
Boycotts generally only hurt working people that's why liberals/radlibs like them so much-they hate working people.

Yeah, but if it hurts "working people" in China, and nowhere else, do we care?

Tom Slick
07-18-2011, 5:17 PM
You guys better not wear:
Lee
Wrangler
20X
Jansport
Nautica
The North Face
Reef
Red Kap
Eastpak
Vans

They're all owned by VF corporation who donated money to:
Erskine B Bowles
Barack Obama
Kay R. Hagen
John Edwards
Barbra Boxer
Arlen Spector

Apocalypsenerd
07-18-2011, 5:20 PM
We should just tell the anti's that Levis are now pro-2A and get them to boycott Levis.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-18-2011, 5:29 PM
Cabela's sells thousands of items from likely hundreds of vendors so we boycott them for this one vendor?

I have spent $XXXXs of dollars on great ammo deals from them, that outweighs by far the Levi's dust up.

Sorry.

Same here. I love Cabelas, and although we have enough CGN members that probably shop Cabelas, stopping purchases over one product when all else is great, isn't effective at this point. (heck, right now some office person at Cabelas Googled bad press and already knows our feelings)

Anchors
07-18-2011, 7:12 PM
I grew up in Levis and still prefer their fit above all others. But I've not bought a new pair in at least ten years since I first learned about their corporate anti 2A advocacy.

Levis is lost corporately so don't buy them... but don't boycott Cabela's over it. Send Cabela's a nice letter and ask them how they square being the world's largest hunting and fishing outfitter with carrying and promoting the products of an anti 2A company. Send it to the CEO....

Mr. Thomas L. Millner
Chief Exec. Officer, President
Cabela's Inc.
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160

THIS.
Don't buy Levi's. It is true, they ARE anti-gun and donate your money to anti-gun P.A.C.s
But don't ban Cabela's. Just write them a letter, they might not even know!!

OT: Wow 1 Cabela Drive...they have their own street!

sholling
07-18-2011, 7:15 PM
I haven't bought a Levi's branded product since the 1980s for that very reason but I won't boycott Cabelas.

Cali-Shooter
07-18-2011, 7:16 PM
IBTB.

Just don't buy the Levi-Strauss goods. End of Story.

Wernher von Browning
07-18-2011, 7:30 PM
You guys better not wear:
Vans

They're all owned by VF corporation who donated money to:
Erskine B Bowles
Barack Obama
Kay R. Hagen
John Edwards
Barbra Boxer
Arlen Spector

I bought my last pairs (a multi-year supply) many years ago when I heard they were closing their last US factory (in the San Diego area -- Vista) and moving it all to China. I'm wearing the last of those shoes now. When they wear out, if I can't find sneakers not made in China, I'm just not going to wear sneakers anymore.

Van's used to advertise their "local roots" -- forget the slogan -- and also used the phrase "Take a stand". Well, I did. (They dropped that slogan when they offshored it all).

Kid Stanislaus
07-18-2011, 7:41 PM

They've given lots of money to anti-gun groups. No, I don't have an exact figure and I can't cite a source.

GoodLand
07-18-2011, 8:05 PM
Ok Ok you guys are RIGHT. I shot from the hip and yes boycott is lib. So shame on me.
But facts are still facts and I have contacted the company and made my complaint. I should have asked you guys to email them so they could understand that part of the money spent on those jeans goes to undermine what is so important to us.
The 2nd Amendment

Anchors
07-18-2011, 8:06 PM
Not Van's!

I think donating to anti-gun candidates (for probably other reasons) is bad.
But Levi's donated to PACs that were specifically anti-gun and has publicly admitted they support gun-control.
That seems a bit different. I still won't buy Van's now again though. I'll buy the knock-offs.

My response in my new jeans thread about finding out Levi's were antis:

I can't believe a jeans company is anti-gun. That is the stupid thing I've ever heard. They could have just shut the hell up about it, not donated money to political agendas, and I would be wearing a pair of their jeans tomorrow...

EDIT: and AMC, Sprint, Ben & Jerrys, Time-Warner, and 7-11?
Dude, why do all these companies have to get involved in controversial political topics? Especially with the side that has less support...

hornswaggled
07-18-2011, 8:29 PM
I'm always up for a good boycott. But this seems strange.

redcliff
07-18-2011, 8:34 PM
Can we just go back to boycotting France? I don't buy stuff from there.

I love my Cabela's Visa, so fun to spend my Cabela's bucks and get "free" stuff.

mycrstuff
07-18-2011, 8:49 PM
Nobody on this thread seems to remember that Levi Strauss was started in San Francisco. How many progun companies are from San Francisco? -0-??

Boycotts never work. If you don't like the company don't buy their product. Don't take it out on the retailer. For them it it just business. For those not in the business world you sometimes have to deal with people you don't like. It comes down to business is business. If you make money you will put up will people or products that you don't like.

Wernher von Browning
07-18-2011, 9:15 PM
Boycotts never work. If you don't like the company don't buy their product. Don't take it out on the retailer. For them it it just business. For those not in the business world you sometimes have to deal with people you don't like. It comes down to business is business. If you make money you will put up will people or products that you don't like.

The difference is that as individuals, we have our own morals (some more, some less, but there are some things we won't do). Corporations are not human and it's a mistake to assign human values to them. They have no morals, nor should they be expected to have any. The only driver is "How much money can we make, without being indicted / prosecuted?" That is it. Lately, they can't even look at "what is best for the company" but rather "what is best for the quarterly report." Individuals in the corporation may have their own morals, but they need to check those at the door if they want to make it in the company.

As individuals, with morals, we don't have to behave like corporations. We don't have to look at just the bottom line, the quarterly report. We can elect to buy or not buy things for moral reasons. I can elect to pay more for stuff that isn't made in China.

I try not to buy Chinese if there is an alternative. Why? Because it is an expansionist, abusive, totalitarian, Communist state that doesn't play nice in the sandbox and represents the largest current threat to the United States and a lifestyle I happen to enjoy. To me, this is a moral imperative; if someday there is a shooting war with China (and, there has always been war, there's no reason to think the concept just went extinct), I'll sure feel a lot better knowing that they weren't able to build up their military using profits gotten from me.

Now, if you're a corporation, you just do business with China because the bottom line is all you care about.

This is where boycotts come in. When it hurts the bottom line, corporations can be convinced to change their behavior.

jamesob
07-18-2011, 9:21 PM
how many people buy levis at cabelas?

rp55
07-18-2011, 9:55 PM
I'm still busy boycotting Sportsman's Guide.

Seeker
07-18-2011, 10:01 PM
The difference is that as individuals, we have our own morals (some more, some less, but there are some things we won't do). Corporations are not human and it's a mistake to assign human values to them. They have no morals, nor should they be expected to have any. The only driver is "How much money can we make, without being indicted / prosecuted?" That is it. Lately, they can't even look at "what is best for the company" but rather "what is best for the quarterly report." Individuals in the corporation may have their own morals, but they need to check those at the door if they want to make it in the company.

As individuals, with morals, we don't have to behave like corporations. We don't have to look at just the bottom line, the quarterly report. We can elect to buy or not buy things for moral reasons. I can elect to pay more for stuff that isn't made in China.

I try not to buy Chinese if there is an alternative. Why? Because it is an expansionist, abusive, totalitarian, Communist state that doesn't play nice in the sandbox and represents the largest current threat to the United States and a lifestyle I happen to enjoy. To me, this is a moral imperative; if someday there is a shooting war with China (and, there has always been war, there's no reason to think the concept just went extinct), I'll sure feel a lot better knowing that they weren't able to build up their military using profits gotten from me.

Now, if you're a corporation, you just do business with China because the bottom line is all you care about.

This is where boycotts come in. When it hurts the bottom line, corporations can be convinced to change their behavior.

Well said.

Why?

DRM6000
07-18-2011, 10:34 PM

yup, been to that store in sydney, nebraska and the one in kearny.

L4D
07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
LoL so funny. Someone creates one thread and expects change!

barthel
07-18-2011, 11:05 PM
I disagree with this attempt at boycott. It will be ineffective. We are beyond the boycott game at this time.

Will explain later.

Intrigued!!!

kln5
07-18-2011, 11:25 PM

If you have ever been to Sidney, NE you will know why they have their own street.

I stopped buying Levi's years ago when I found out that they were anti's

Anchors
07-19-2011, 3:02 AM
To the people that say boycotts never work...Starbucks.

They banned guns and then we all made a big stink and they unbanned guns while the anti/hippie/hipsters whined.
They new the cool kids with over-sized beanies weren't going anywhere even if they re-allowed guns, so they made the smart business move.

Like I said though, I'll boycott Levi's. Not Cabela's who partners with the NRA and probably donates a crap load of money to them...

jl123
07-19-2011, 4:10 AM
To the people that say boycotts never work...Starbucks.

They banned guns and then we all made a big stink and they unbanned guns while the anti/hippie/hipsters whined.
They new the cool kids with over-sized beanies weren't going anywhere even if they re-allowed guns, so they made the smart business move.

Like I said though, I'll boycott Levi's. Not Cabela's who partners with the NRA and probably donates a crap load of money to them...

Did Starbucks ban guns? I think 1 manager kicked someone out, but I don't think they took an official stance until they deferred to local law.

rod
07-19-2011, 7:49 AM
I am currently boycotting boycotts. So far, I have managed to buy everything I want without anyone getting rich from my purchases.

Anchors
07-19-2011, 7:56 AM
Did Starbucks ban guns? I think 1 manager kicked someone out, but I don't think they took an official stance until they deferred to local law.

I'm pretty sure they banned at least open-carry, but reversed it after complaints...there was national media coverage, etc...

thenodnarb
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
The NRA-ILA list isn't always correct. They listed LAMAR advertising (those billboard guys) as being anti-gun. Our business was interested in buying some billboard ads so I looked into it. I ask a rep if they had an anti-gun policy, or contributed to anti-gun organizations. She said that they had no anti-gun policies and were probably more PRO-gun since the owner was a gun-owner and hunter. The only thing I could find in my research was that LAMAR donated some ad space for one of those gun buy-back programs back east somewhere.

That said, I would hardly boycott cabelas which does a lot for the shooting sports, because they unwittingly carried a product by a company that was anti-gun. Just boycott Levis, not cabelas.

oldsmoboat
07-19-2011, 5:32 PM
I don't buy them at all. They're just overpriced Yuppie gear. Like Harleys.

Anchors
07-19-2011, 5:41 PM
The NRA-ILA list isn't always correct. They listed LAMAR advertising (those billboard guys) as being anti-gun. Our business was interested in buying some billboard ads so I looked into it. I ask a rep if they had an anti-gun policy, or contributed to anti-gun organizations. She said that they had no anti-gun policies and were probably more PRO-gun since the owner was a gun-owner and hunter. The only thing I could find in my research was that LAMAR donated some ad space for one of those gun buy-back programs back east somewhere.

That said, I would hardly boycott cabelas which does a lot for the shooting sports, because they unwittingly carried a product by a company that was anti-gun. Just boycott Levis, not cabelas.

Donating free ad-space to a gun buy-back is anti-gun.
Period.

chead
07-19-2011, 5:45 PM

What, you don't do all your shopping there? I subsist entirely on energy bars.

G60
07-19-2011, 5:46 PM
I like my 501XX though. Not rich enough to afford a pair of Japanese 501 clones.

Blackhawk556
07-19-2011, 6:45 PM
You know which company I am boycotting at the moment, Cheaper than Dirt. I don't care what deals they have going on right now, I won't shop with them at all.

sevensix2x51
07-19-2011, 6:59 PM
levis are for scenester yuppies that can't afford lucky jeans anyways. :p:D

if you care about how your butt looks in jeans, you might as well be wearing makeup. (again,) :p:D

we -Menfolk- wear carhartt double knee carpenter work pants. got mine on right now, covered in dirt and grease from my menfolk job doing menfolk stuff. i guess you litigious types can still wear italian wool and haggar khakis on the weekdays though, i'll let it slide.

(im just screwing with you people. but srsly, im super serial.)

a1c
07-19-2011, 7:01 PM

Are you sure? French companies are everywhere.

What did France do to you anyway?

This anti-Levi's boycott is only consistent if the consumers are consistent and also make sure they don't get their health coverage from Blue Cross, don't buy Hallmark cards, Sara Lee products, or don't watch NBC (now a Comcast company). Good luck with that.

And Levi's won't care because they won't know why they are being boycotted.

huck
07-19-2011, 7:23 PM
You know which company I am boycotting at the moment, Cheaper than Dirt. I don't care what deals they have going on right now, I won't shop with them at all.

Why?

sevensix2x51
07-19-2011, 7:33 PM
Why?

take this m1 garand bayonet,link here (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR096-1.html)for instance. i typed in my san diego zip code, it comes back as "sorry, we can't ship this to (zip code), CA"

wtfballs? its a bayonet, not illegal anywhere in ca, afaik, (barring any weird local -carry- restrictions)i have an actual, REAL one in my gun safe right now. try it on half the stuff at the store, and they won't ship it to you. they probably wouldnt sell a beer mug with a pistol grip to CA. cheaper than dirt can suck a......n egg.

mofugly13
07-19-2011, 7:57 PM

Buckskin were the correct garb. When denim came along, the buckskin industry went the way of the dodo.

I've been wearing Levis my whole life, and I couldnt change if I wanted. They're the only pants I can find with a true 36" inseam.

jamesob
07-20-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't buy them at all. They're just overpriced Yuppie gear. Like Harleys.

i have 1 pair of levis and a harley that i have owned since i was 18, i'm no yuppie. :cool:

Wherryj
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM

Please help

I might agree with the email Cabelas and ask them to boycott Levi-Strauss, but boycotting Cabelas doesn't seem reasonable to me. Cabelas has always been great on customer service, and to my knowledge has never done anything anti-gun on their side.

As an example, Sony and Apple are pretty anti-consumer so I typically avoid their products. I don't boycott Costco for carrying products from these manufacturers however.

blazeaglory
07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I love Cabelas

And why is this in 2A? Send this to off topic! I come to this section for info on laws and lawsuits not for a petty "ban cabelas" thread

Ithankyou:)

1BigPea
07-20-2011, 1:04 PM

Same here, I toss the catalog without even opening it.

Mesa Tactical
07-21-2011, 8:11 AM
Van's used to advertise their "local roots" -- forget the slogan -- and also used the phrase "Take a stand". Well, I did. (They dropped that slogan when they offshored it all).

Yeah, it's been a while since Wal-Mart has used the "Made in the USA" slogan they had back in the early 1990s.

Mesa Tactical
07-21-2011, 8:14 AM
What did France do to you anyway?

France was right about Iraq's WMD, and the US was wrong. Very embarrassing and boycott-worthy.

sakosf
07-21-2011, 8:31 AM
It will be completely ineffective. You can search on the internet and find lists of numerous companies that are antigun......http://gunowners.org/fs0302.htm

Just-in
07-21-2011, 9:24 AM
how about wells fargo though.
http://www.buymilsurp.com/page.html?id=19

Just-in
07-21-2011, 9:31 AM
Same here, I toss the catalog without even opening it.

I searched but found nothing whats the deal with cheaper than dirt

Oceanbob
07-21-2011, 9:57 AM

I love my Cabela's Visa, so fun to spend my Cabela's bucks and get "free" stuff.

The last time we boycotted France their "White Flag Factory" got closed down. Disabling their Military. :D

a1c
07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
The last time we boycotted France their "White Flag Factory" got closed down. Disabling their Military. :D

4,000 troops in Afghanistan. They had three deaths just this months. Get a clue.

SixPointEight
07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
I searched but found nothing whats the deal with cheaper than dirt

Try to order any AR part there. They say they can't ship it because it could be used to make an assault weapon

SixPointEight
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
how about wells fargo though.
http://www.buymilsurp.com/page.html?id=19

I don't bank with them anyways. They let you get custom cards. I tried to have an eagle with the second amendment emblazoned over it.

They denied the card because it was "offensive content"

jmsenk
07-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm pretty sure they banned at least open-carry, but reversed it after complaints...there was national media coverage, etc...

I think that the national news coverage was because they would NOT ban open carry. A lot of Antis and hippies up in Seattle and places tried to put pressure on starbucks to ban guns in their stores (there may have been a manager at a location who kicked someone out too) but the CEO, Howard Shultz flat out refused.

ccmc
07-21-2011, 1:14 PM

You live in an area of CA they don't ship ammo to? Seems like your local government would be the culprit there.

ccmc
07-21-2011, 1:16 PM
Try to order any AR part there. They say they can't ship it because it could be used to make an assault weapon

Is that a CA thing? That's a problem with CA law, not Cheaper Than Dirt.

popups
07-21-2011, 1:25 PM
I do not go there for jeans, I go there for guns.

dfletcher
07-21-2011, 1:55 PM
yup, been to that store in sydney, nebraska and the one in kearny.

Is one of those just off Rte 80 & near a WalMart - been a while but I think I picked up a rifle there using my C & R on a cross country drive.

dfletcher
07-21-2011, 2:02 PM
I think informing Cabelas you disapprove of them carrying Levis and just as importantly NOT buying Levis at Cabelas is worthwhile.

Cabelas is an outdoorsman, hunting & gun store. They're not Sears or Target or a computer store or grocery store - they specialize in products Levis would prefer to ban. Now Cabelas may deal with other companies having antigun ownership and perhaps that deserves a look too. I wouldn't go with a Levis boycott as a first step, but it's worth keeping on the table.

Uriah02
07-21-2011, 2:14 PM
Sooo if you boycott every company that sells merchandise from someone who contributes to anti-gun groups/policies where do you shop?

dfletcher
07-21-2011, 3:23 PM
Sooo if you boycott every company that sells merchandise from someone who contributes to anti-gun groups/policies where do you shop?

That does become a problem, similar to the "I won't buy Japanese products" issue - how the heck does one begin to know all the different lines of corporate ownership? But in Cabelas and Levis I think we have a "cleaner" situation. Levis is a privately owned company, Cabelas specializes in "gun stuff" - it's not a convoluted route from Point A to Point B. The money we spend at Cabelas goes directly to Levis, not to a parent company and back to smaller subsidiaries - from my hands to Cabelas to Levis. Then on to antigun organizations via Levi Co donations.

Warning Bagpiper is Armed
07-21-2011, 3:40 PM
I do not go there for jeans, I go there for guns.

& ammo. Just got a $#!+ load of 7.62x39 for 3.99 a box! I love Cabela's! Levi's is the issue, not Cabela's.

Gryff
07-21-2011, 4:06 PM

Please help

In that case, I assume that you refuse to pay to see any movie with Sylvester Stallone or Marky Mark Wahlberg, right.

huck
07-21-2011, 5:26 PM
In that case, I assume that you refuse to pay to see any movie with Sylvester Stallone or Marky Mark Wahlberg, right.

Well, that's an easy boycott. That's like refusing to stab myself in the face with a fork.

SixPointEight
07-21-2011, 5:44 PM
Is that a CA thing? That's a problem with CA law, not Cheaper Than Dirt.

Fail. You can make legal guns with bullet buttons and any feature you want. They won't sell pistol grips, quad rails, lower parts kits, sights etc. This is not a CA law issue. It's a stupidity issue. Don't shop cheaper than dirt, you can usually find better prices other places anyhow

DRM6000
07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Is one of those just off Rte 80 & near a WalMart - been a while but I think I picked up a rifle there using my C & R on a cross country drive.

i don't remember a walmart, but both of those stores are right off I80. i think the last time i went there was in '03 or '04.

rexbo47
07-21-2011, 10:41 PM
This is like saying we should boycott banging hott liberal chicks because they're anti-gun, umm yeah No... You can boycott Cabelas all you want, I'll keep on shopping there and rocking my Levi's because they fit me.

Liberal chicks are usually fugly, don't shave their pits, have tofu-breath, and wear their Birkies to bed.

ccmc
07-22-2011, 7:43 AM
Fail. You can make legal guns with bullet buttons and any feature you want. They won't sell pistol grips, quad rails, lower parts kits, sights etc. This is not a CA law issue. It's a stupidity issue. Don't shop cheaper than dirt, you can usually find better prices other places anyhow

No, it's a business decision influenced by byzantine CA gun laws. Their right to do so just as it's your right to boycott them.

Cylarz
07-22-2011, 5:25 PM
ccmc: No, it's a business decision influenced by byzantine CA gun laws. Their right to do so just as it's your right to boycott them.

His point is (probably) that CTD goes "above and beyond" what's actually required by California law or by localities within California. (That last part is actually quite odd to me - you're going to tell me CTD, a retailer in another state, is worried about my *county* going after them somehow?) They also were among the first to quit selling us ammo back when it looked like AB962 was going to go through. Two other retailers (J&G and Wideners) said, "We'll sell you all the rifle and shotgun ammo you like after that law kicks in, just no handgun ordinance."

Sportsmans Guide is about as bad as CTD, and I believe someone else mentioned it. I remember they wouldn't sell me a scope mount for a Mosin Nagant because they regarded it as an "assault rifle part." I have no idea on what planet a bolt-action rifle would be considered an "assault weapon" or how the act of mounting a scope would render it as such; ATF's guide for C&R license holders states that such changes are largely cosmetic and do nothing to alter a gun's fundamental state. (I can cite chapter and verse if you like.)

To heck with online retailers who play these kinds of games with their customers. Do they want to make money or not?

I much prefer retailers who say, "It's the buyer's responsibility to know the laws. Our stance is that if it's not illegal here, and you got the greenbacks, it's yours."

Agree with the majority of posters: boycotts are cumbersome, but if you must do so, don't buy Levis, and tell Cabelas why you won't purchase Levis there. I also have to second the question asked by another poster - why do all these companies have to get caught up in gun politics? Why not just sell their products and stay out of controversial issues?

A1c: What did France do to you anyway?

Not to get off-topic, but since you brought it up...I am annoyed with France because they not only opposed the Iraq War, but also took the extra step of actually encouraging other countries to oppose it, too. After all the money and American lives spent defending their country and overseas colonies from the Germans, the Japanese, the Soviets, and the North Vietnamese, this was scandalous. Their entire country owes us something big for that. It certainly owes us better than trying to undermine us on the world stage.

That, and we eventually found out that a bunch of French corporations (and some German ones, and some Russian ones) were in bed with Saddam, helping him circumvent the UN-sponsored Oil-For-Palaces...er, Oil-For-Food program. Oh, and the French sold night vision equipment to the Iraqi Army to help it defend against nighttime attacks by US forces right before the outbreak of hostilities.

Gosh, do you really not remember all this? 2003 wasn't that long ago.

Oh, and one more thing...France wasn't "right" about Iraq's WMD, and the US wasn't "wrong."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html

Hope that answers your question.

ccmc
07-23-2011, 1:01 PM
His point is (probably) that CTD goes "above and beyond" what's actually required by California law or by localities within California. (That last part is actually quite odd to me - you're going to tell me CTD, a retailer in another state, is worried about my *county* going after them somehow?) They also were among the first to quit selling us ammo back when it looked like AB962 was going to go through. Two other retailers (J&G and Wideners) said, "We'll sell you all the rifle and shotgun ammo you like after that law kicks in, just no handgun ordinance."

Sportsmans Guide is about as bad as CTD, and I believe someone else mentioned it. I remember they wouldn't sell me a scope mount for a Mosin Nagant because they regarded it as an "assault rifle part." I have no idea on what planet a bolt-action rifle would be considered an "assault weapon" or how the act of mounting a scope would render it as such; ATF's guide for C&R license holders states that such changes are largely cosmetic and do nothing to alter a gun's fundamental state. (I can cite chapter and verse if you like.)

To heck with online retailers who play these kinds of games with their customers. Do they want to make money or not?

I much prefer retailers who say, "It's the buyer's responsibility to know the laws. Our stance is that if it's not illegal here, and you got the greenbacks, it's yours."

Agree with the majority of posters: boycotts are cumbersome, but if you must do so, don't buy Levis, and tell Cabelas why you won't purchase Levis there. I also have to second the question asked by another poster - why do all these companies have to get caught up in gun politics? Why not just sell their products and stay out of controversial issues?

Not to get off-topic, but since you brought it up...I am annoyed with France because they not only opposed the Iraq War, but also took the extra step of actually encouraging other countries to oppose it, too. After all the money and American lives spent defending their country and overseas colonies from the Germans, the Japanese, the Soviets, and the North Vietnamese, this was scandalous. Their entire country owes us something big for that. It certainly owes us better than trying to undermine us on the world stage.

That, and we eventually found out that a bunch of French corporations (and some German ones, and some Russian ones) were in bed with Saddam, helping him circumvent the UN-sponsored Oil-For-Palaces...er, Oil-For-Food program. Oh, and the French sold night vision equipment to the Iraqi Army to help it defend against nighttime attacks by US forces right before the outbreak of hostilities.

Gosh, do you really not remember all this? 2003 wasn't that long ago.

Oh, and one more thing...France wasn't "right" about Iraq's WMD, and the US wasn't "wrong."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html

Hope that answers your question.

Good points on both subjects. I'm sure all companies want to make money, but they all have to decide what hassle they want to put with to do so. California is a difficult state to do business in for anyone, not just a gun related business. To paraphrase your point, I prefer states that don't put up so many roadblocks to legal commerce. I don't live in CA so I don't have these issues with any online retailers, but I can understand the frustration of CA residents. I just think it's misplaced.

Your points about France are excellent. I will say the whole issue was largely blown up by an anti Bush media. I was in France for a couple of months in 2004 and most people I met were not nearly as anti American as the US MSM would have had us believe at the time.