PDA

View Full Version : DROS

REH
07-18-2011, 9:44 AM
When the DOJ runs a DROS on a PPT is the serial number of the gun checked to see if was stolen?

infernl
07-18-2011, 9:49 AM
Lots of good information here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=69921

REH
07-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the link. It did not answer if the handgun is checked to see if it was stolen.

tenpercentfirearms
07-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the link. It did not answer if the handgun is checked to see if it was stolen.

Any serial numbers that are submitted to the CA DOJ are checked. PPT, standard, Police Officer, exempt, anything.

Only handguns have the serial numbers submitted. Long guns are not.

proclone1
07-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Sorta off-topic but still dealing with absurdity of DROS 10-day wait: I'd argue that for long guns, the 10-day thing can actually encourage more gun buying... the impulse-buy-factor has never been stronger on pickup day when you can buy & Immediately walk out with another long gun right there on the spot lol. well darn, while I'm here.... no 10-day wait!!

BannedinBritain
07-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Sorta off-topic but still dealing with absurdity of DROS 10-day wait: I'd argue that for long guns, the 10-day thing can actually encourage more gun buying... the impulse-buy-factor has never been stronger on pickup day when you can buy & Immediately walk out with another long gun right there on the spot lol. well darn, while I'm here.... no 10-day wait!!

Not so fast....there are those who will not add a firearm to an existing DROS. Me personally? Sure, not a problem. But there are plenty who won't.

Condorguns
07-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Handguns are checked. Had one come back HOT about a year ago. Big time PITA.

REH
07-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks All..................

Blackhawk556
07-18-2011, 4:37 PM
So if I'm trying to buy a gun from someone and its stolen, does the store find out right away if it's stolen?? The chances of someone getting their money back after doing one of these transactions seem low.

FortCourageArmory
07-18-2011, 5:22 PM
Not so fast....there are those who will not add a firearm to an existing DROS. Me personally? Sure, not a problem. But there are plenty who won't.
There's a reason some FFLs won't add a long gun to a DROS on pick up day. DOJ has specifically told me that I should not change the number of guns DROD'ed on the DROS form upwards. They have no problem if the number changed downward but they have a huge problem changing it upwards. And since they are the ones that regulate how I earn my living, I'm not about to poke the beast too often.

BannedinBritain
07-19-2011, 7:46 AM
There's a reason some FFLs won't add a long gun to a DROS on pick up day. DOJ has specifically told me that I should not change the number of guns DROD'ed on the DROS form upwards. They have no problem if the number changed downward but they have a huge problem changing it upwards. And since they are the ones that regulate how I earn my living, I'm not about to poke the beast too often.

I get your concern...the stupidity of DOJ is very evident in their own advice..."yeah, it's ok to revise the number down...but not up". The number means nothing really...I could just dros everyone for 100 long guns and then "revise the number down" on pickup...lol

Southwest Chuck
07-19-2011, 7:51 AM
I get your concern...the stupidity of DOJ is very evident in their own advice..."yeah, it's ok to revise the number down...but not up". The number means nothing really...I could just dros everyone for 100 long guns and then "revise the number down" on pickup...lol

I think this would be a great way to screw with ATF and their new long gun reporting regulations :p