PDA

View Full Version : Where are the AK owners?

Caseless
01-04-2007, 8:46 PM
I have attended the majority of 3-gun, PPC, and Tactical rifle matches at Chabot for the past year, but I've never seen anyone using an AK-pattern carbine at these matches.
It sure would be interesting to see some AK users competing with AR shooters.

Meanwhile, I'll bring my SKS once in a while to represent the 7.62x39 users.

rocketboy
01-04-2007, 10:55 PM
I keep my MAK 90 in the safe. I will beef it up sometime this year and bring it out. I know of a couple people at Chabot with AKs, but would rather blast with their ARs instead. Will you be at 3 gun on Sunday? The weather is suppose to be terrific.

Fjold
01-05-2007, 6:33 AM
I have attended the majority of 3-gun, PPC, and Tactical rifle matches at Chabot for the past year, but I've never seen anyone using an AK-pattern carbine at these matches.
It sure would be interesting to see some AK users competing with AR shooters.

Meanwhile, I'll bring my SKS once in a while to represent the 7.62x39 users.

It's because you have to be able to hit a man sized target as far out as 100 yards.

jemaddux
01-05-2007, 7:03 AM
It's because you have to be able to hit a man sized target as far out as 100 yards.

The last three gun I was shooting at had targets out to two hundred yards. The optic munts for the AK and SKS are poor at best. The other reason is the rounds that you can get on the market are mainly Wolf which is not a good ammo for longer distance. When looking at .223 you can get it pretty much any load you need, 52, 55, 62 and so on.

rocketboy
01-05-2007, 7:27 AM
Guys, we're talking Chabot 3gun and Tac Rifle. Unless your Shooting in precision rifle 3gun on specific days you will never take a shot past 65 yards. An AK would be a great choice for the setups out there. Mostly close-in blasting in a target rich environment. ;)

Caseless
01-05-2007, 8:30 AM
rocketboy is right. You don't need a precision rifle to hit a few steel silhouette targets at 65 yards. In fact, we routinely shoot these targets at 65 yards during Tactical handgun matches. :cool:

I'll dust off my Su-16CA for this week's carbine match. See you guys there rain or shine.

Steyr_223
01-05-2007, 9:18 AM
I wonder is they will allow my Hakim or SVT-40?

jemaddux
01-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Guys, we're talking Chabot 3gun and Tac Rifle. Unless your Shooting in precision rifle 3gun on specific days you will never take a shot past 65 yards. An AK would be a great choice for the setups out there. Mostly close-in blasting in a target rich environment. ;)

Not sure where you are getting this not past 65 yards. Depends on the match. Like I said, last match at Piru had them out to 200 yards for the three gun match.

JamesY
01-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll bring out mine at the next Tac rifle in Feb. just for fun. I'd like to see if I can kick rocketboy's arse with it ;)

For this Sunday, I'll bring the .223 pea-shooter since it's more competition than it is fun.

rocketboy
01-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I'll bring out mine at the next Tac rifle in Feb. just for fun. I'd like to see if I can kick rocketboy's arse with it ;)

For this Sunday, I'll bring the .223 pea-shooter since it's more competition than it is fun.

I don't know! Last I heard you were getting married, is your girlfriend gonna let you come out and play!?:D

Mud
01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I look forward to see'ing everyone out at Chabot this Sunday, one or both of the Blackstar Proto's will be there (Not with a 7.62x39 upper though:p ). I've been shooting the Pee shooters also, I retired the Mini-30 after having so many Mag Problems but love the 30cal hole for the Carbine Matches.
Please introduce yourselves at the Match, my Wife doesn't let me out of the house too often for matches:( so I'd love to meet everyone. I'll be the guy with the funny looking AR's

M. Sage
01-05-2007, 8:38 PM
I wonder is they will allow my Hakim or SVT-40?

I don't know about 3-gun, but I can tell you Tactical Rifle will.

E. Fudd
01-09-2007, 9:17 AM
With the tougher COF's, (e.g. partial Brussels, headshots at 50-65 yd., etc.), I find it much easier to make my hits with an AR w/ ironsights than an AK w/ ironsights, even easier w/ an AR w/ optics, red-dot or glass.

Those tiny AK sights are a bear to shoot reduced size targets with (e.g. with no-shoot in front, etc.). Definitely needs a red-dot setup to be more competitive....

FNC80
01-10-2007, 9:45 PM
Those AK front sights don't make for easy rapid target acquisition.