PDA

View Full Version : An unloaded rifle in public.

Kid Stanislaus
07-17-2011, 5:17 PM
Is it legal to remove an unloaded rifle from my car in a public place to show it to another person?

taperxz
07-17-2011, 5:24 PM
All UOC rules apply.

taperxz
07-17-2011, 5:26 PM
The beauty is a rifle is not considered concealable. GFSZ applies

Dead*Reckoned
07-17-2011, 5:27 PM
I'd be cautious about letting others see it, I wouldn't want to get hassled by police even if it is perfectly legal.

taperxz
07-17-2011, 5:29 PM
I'd be cautious about letting others see it, I wouldn't want to get hassled by police even if it is perfectly legal.

.???????????

davedog01
07-17-2011, 6:25 PM

My experience has been that if I acted like a kook, I would be treated like one.

pointedstick
07-17-2011, 6:50 PM
My experience has been that if I acted like a kook, I would be treated like one.

Showing someone a rifle in a completely non-threatening manner counts as being a kook? Maybe people should avoid speaking on controversial subjects in public too, lest the police become suspicious and get itchy trigger fingers, right?

SJgunguy24
07-17-2011, 6:54 PM
Is it legal to remove an unloaded rifle from my car in a public place to show it to another person?

Legal, as long as there are no schools near by then yes perfectly legal. Is it the smartest thing you could do? F**K NO, see law enforcement officers tend to get a bit jumpy if somebody without a badge has a firearm. Your average John/Joan Q Public normally feels the same way as law enforcement.
I have ridden my Mt. Bike down Monterey Highway in San Jose with an AK strapped to me, no hassles and no issues. Did the same with an Yugo 59/66, same result.

Tripper
07-17-2011, 7:03 PM
I try to do so in locations that its considered 'not so out of place';
parking lots of; gun range, gun store, archery shop, fishing/bait shop, ya might even be ok at some small mom/pop restaraunts.
the parking lot of the bank or jail, might not be such a good idea.

davedog01
07-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I try to do so in locations that its considered 'not so out of place';
parking lots of; gun range, gun store, archery shop, fishing/bait shop, ya might even be ok at some small mom/pop restaraunts.

This is what I meant by being a kook. There is a time and place for everything. In front of a bank or school is not a good idea. People pick up a lot watching someone handle a weapon as well. If your practicing your draw or not showing the weapon as cleared you're asking for trouble. This is a big problem with LEO's and Airsoft. People see individuals with guns in a school, park, private property etc acting aggressively-the call goes out "men with guns"

You can take it from there...

Kid Stanislaus
07-18-2011, 5:23 AM
I try to do so in locations that its considered 'not so out of place'; parking lots of; gun range, gun store, archery shop, fishing/bait shop, ya might even be ok at some small mom/pop restaraunts.

Sage advice.

CSACANNONEER
07-18-2011, 6:13 AM
I've pulled out a 50BMG in a mall to show someone who was truely interested in it. I wasn't too worried since I was in Reno but, I it stayed in the case so that some moron didn't see it and call 911 on me.

Write Winger
07-18-2011, 8:29 AM
If I'm ever showing someone my guns outside the home, I usually just open the case and let others marvel at them. Generally nobody wants to pick it up cuz they know CA is full of bedwetters who will freak out.

Aleksandr Mravinsky
07-18-2011, 1:29 PM
All UOC rules apply.

Does that include the 21 age limit? Or would the age limit for UOC rifles only be 18 (since that is the age for purchasing rifles)?

Dead*Reckoned
07-18-2011, 2:22 PM
The age limit for all UOC is 18, rifle or pistol.

Rob454
07-18-2011, 3:08 PM
Dude people will s*8t bricks. OH MY GOD THERE IS A GUN OUT IN PUBLIC held by someone that is not military or LEO. I just wouldn't do it. being legal and all doesn't mean a whole lot when you are handcuffed with a 240 lb cop kneeling on your neck screaming don't move mother f'er. Sure you are right you are legal but its still a PITA cause you are still dealing with people and LEOs that are sometimes clueless. I think this would be more of a "problem" in the big city rather than the rural country area.

paul0660
07-18-2011, 3:10 PM
Just look for a place where you could take a leak without being busted. Not that hard.

lhecker51
07-18-2011, 3:24 PM
Just look for a place where you could take a leak without being busted. Not that hard.

That may end up getting you reported for suspicious activity. Police hate it when they see someone trying to conceal their activities and will bring them on like stink on a turd.

The fact is that someone most likely will piss their pants at the site of a weapon even if it is in an ope case being shown in a non-threatening manner. What do you do? You can't please everyone. The majority of public spaces where I live may be within the school zone restriction (maybe I will check some day when there is an accurate way to measure) so you need to be absolutely sure you are not violating this.

MasterYong
07-18-2011, 3:25 PM
I've had others show met heir rifles in public.

Me? I'd prefer to be less obvious about having a firearm. Not because of the police as it were, more because of the criminal element that carries loaded while I do not.

Plus, I've met police officers and recent POST grads alike that think that any firearm visible in public = brandishing, unless it's a holstered UOC pistol.

Heck, my good friend that JUST graduated POST keeps insisting they taught him IN THE ACADEMY that you can't have ammo in the same container as a handgun when transporting (locked container). If POST is still perpetuating that garbage then God knows what else some (perhaps otherwise well-meaning) LEOs think is "the law."

Anchors
07-18-2011, 6:59 PM
I did a face to face sale in the parking lot of a bank here. haha.
After he pulled the money out we decided it might be a better idea to drive up the street to a construction site he was working on at the time and finish it there, so we did.
Before anyone asks, yes the transaction was legal:
It was a real Mosin-Nagant PU sniper (1944 Tula) and it was sold to an awesome calgunner.

I was talking about my gun hobby with a manager at my old store and told him I was going to the range after work because he asked why I parked my car in the loading dock (so that it would be on camera). He wasn't really into guns but wanted to see them so I let him fondle my Gen 4 G17 and my OD green Ruger LCP (still miss them both) in the parking lot. He thought they were cool and no one cared (I could have gotten fired since my company is super anti-gun, but I was all right...looking for a new job).