PDA

View Full Version : Is a CSO Job a good start?

Tacit Blue
07-17-2011, 3:04 PM
Hey guys,

After testing with a couple of agencies, and going through the notions like everyone else in this economy. I'm seriously considering doing a CSO job, to at least gain some law enforcement experience. That way an agency can vouch for me.

Also i'm considering doing a modular reserve academy, and working towards a level 1. Which would be the same as a basic post cert. I was considering going to a extended academy format for a year, but in all reality i need to work.

I think at this point, i just wana "take the money and run". What do you think about my plan so far?
I know i won't be able to carry a firearm :( I was used to that after working in the security industry..

PositiveInfluence
07-17-2011, 3:36 PM
That is a great idea, especially since the Department can see you grow from CSO to full time Officer/Deputy. That is how my best friend since elementary did it, he started off at age 18 as a file clerk, moved to CSO and went to a modular academy. Worked his *** off 7 days a week for over a year in an office setting, in the academy and even as a reserve officer. He was rewarded a full time position soon after completion of level one. Get your foot in the door and anything is possible. Always be willing to learn and adapt.

Tacit Blue
07-17-2011, 3:45 PM
So i take it's possible to work as a CSO and goto a Modular academy?

I was really pondering, i think an agency would rather hire somebody with some sort of LE experience. Compared to a ' Academy graduate' with none?

I heard of people graduating and not being able to get picked up, but i think real world experience is always more valuable; in certain cases no?

I'm 23, so i guess a few years wont hurt.

WILDMAN442
07-17-2011, 3:46 PM
Great Idea!

Not only does it show the hiring agency you possess the drive and determination to better yourself, but you also get to see a lot of things first hand.

I know our CSO takes a lot of our counter reports. She also helps on TC's with photos, taking measurements, and also assists with evidence.

Its a great opportunity for you to gain more knowledge bud. I wish you the best of luck!!!

Justin

PositiveInfluence
07-17-2011, 3:54 PM

Definitely possible, you just have to dedicate a lot of time to reaching your goal. Like I said, my buddy spent 7 days a week for over a year working and learning.

Falconis
07-17-2011, 6:29 PM
Hey guys,

After testing with a couple of agencies, and going through the notions like everyone else in this economy. I'm seriously considering doing a CSO job, to at least gain some law enforcement experience. That way an agency can vouch for me.

Also i'm considering doing a modular reserve academy, and working towards a level 1. Which would be the same as a basic post cert. I was considering going to a extended academy format for a year, but in all reality i need to work.

I think at this point, i just wana "take the money and run". What do you think about my plan so far?
I know i won't be able to carry a firearm :( I was used to that after working in the security industry..

Leave that part out of the interviews. Frowny face included :)

Tacit Blue
07-17-2011, 6:38 PM
Leave that part out of the interviews. Frowny face included :)

haha.

gotthelife4u
07-17-2011, 8:50 PM
I think thats a great road to take. I am going to do almost the same thing. I am going to the modular academy. I plan on working as a reserve for awhile until some of the departments start hiring again. Hopefully I can then apply for a full time position. Like others have said anything to get your foot in the door.

Tacit Blue
07-17-2011, 8:56 PM
I think thats a great road to take. I am going to do almost the same thing. I am going to the modular academy. I plan on working as a reserve for awhile until some of the departments start hiring again. Hopefully I can then apply for a full time position. Like others have said anything to get your foot in the door.

Afirm... That's the plan..., I think real world experience will translate over the abundance of Academy Graduates.

Most agencies have like 4-5 positions open.You go in the testing line, and there's anywhere from 50-100 people+:eek:

Falconis
07-17-2011, 9:44 PM
Actually I mention the above with somewhat seriousness. You wouldnt believe how many people I have heard of mentioning not being able to carry a gun or eventually being able to carry a gun and trying to make it sound somewhat professional during their interview. Bottom line is that it's an automatic axe in my experiences. Just keep it along the lines of you want the job for reasons x,y, and z.

Hispanic_Hercules
07-18-2011, 1:34 AM
I think it is a great way to get your foot in the door. Right now up and down the state many LE agencies are not hiring due to economic times and instead laying off. These laid off officers are now having issues themselves with three to four years on the department finding new jobs. If you can get your foot in the door right now and become a CSO by all means do it. It will only give you an advantage above other academy grads and you can also start making a name for yourself with the department you work.

ironcross
07-18-2011, 2:24 AM
Guy's,

I was told by personnel of our (Tacit Blue and I) Sheriff's Department that a good route would get your reserve certs and work reserve then apply for full time (If lvl I). As our Sheriff's Department has continuous opening for Deputies.

I know you would have to pay your way through reserve academy.

But...

Would that not be a better route then working CSO?

Even though I've heard the same LVL I reserves on the radio during the weekends for saturation and DUI checkpoints for the past year. Maybe they didn't want to go full time? As the department is actively hiring.

Since I live more in the ghetto than he does. I wouldn't want to patrol in uniform/marked vehicle unless I was armed. Last night there was a security guard shot at as he was walking home into his apartment complex.

Notorious
07-18-2011, 7:26 AM
It's a good foot in the door as long as it is on the same department. Then you would know most of the guys and you can build your rep. If it's going to be a lateral to another agency, it ain't gonna help too much. LE is set up to be pretty xenophobic. Agencies are very much entities on their own. You can see how even lateral officers have to go through the whole shebang even though you have been cleared and working in the same capacity.

That being said, we have our CSO program and there were guys made the move to police officer successfully. Good luck to ya.

Tacit Blue
07-18-2011, 9:29 AM
I just called the HR dept on testing info, she made the comment that 300 people already applied!. My application isn't even in the pile yet.....Man this economy is crazy, this is a CSO postion. Should I even bother with this agency?

300 people for one position.....:(

bubbagump
07-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Since I live more in the ghetto than he does. I wouldn't want to patrol in uniform/marked vehicle unless I was armed. Last night there was a security guard shot at as he was walking home into his apartment complex.

Last department I worked for was in the Ghetto. Almost all the CSO's lived in the city (or in a nearby ghetto). Same with a few police officers. Some of them had gone to high school with people they were arresting.

Just use your head and you'll be fine.

I just called the HR dept on testing info, she made the comment that 300 people already applied!. My application isn't even in the pile yet.....Man this economy is crazy, this is a CSO postion. Should I even bother with this agency?

Nothing has changed since 2007. I would apply anyways.

Don't let things get you down. I had friends who were CSO's at departments for years and still didn't get hired when they applied for an officer position. Some of them would be offered officer positions. Others left and got hired with other departments. I know one guy who has been a CSO with about 4 departments.

One thing that is very important is NOT doing stupid sh*t while your a CSO. Stacking cars, going hands on with people, getting on peoples bad side...all these things will come back to haunt you when investigators start making phone calls.

Notorious
07-18-2011, 2:06 PM

300 people for one position.....:(

I'll just say it since there's no other way to put it, with that attitude, no, don't bother. It's gonna be like this for a while in the job market.

That's just the simple truth. If you're not in the mindset to fight for the job, let someone who's hungrier have it.

Tacit Blue
07-18-2011, 2:47 PM
I'll just say it since there's no other way to put it, with that attitude, no, don't bother. It's gonna be like this for a while in the job market.

That's just the simple truth. If you're not in the mindset to fight for the job, let someone who's hungrier have it.

I respectfully disagree with you. However,I've gained the knowledge to know when to pick and choose my battles..

I am very hungry....Believe me..

Notorious
07-18-2011, 3:40 PM
I respectfully disagree with you. However,I've gained the knowledge to know when to pick and choose my battles..

I am very hungry....Believe me..

If you want it and that is the department of your choice then go for it. If you are able to talk yourself out of it then you really didn't want it that badly. I have been in this business long enough to see tons of people come and go and some that never got in the door because of nothing else but their own doing.

I had to fight all the way for my job. You don't know how tough it was back in the day when LE was a different animal. Hiring practices were a little different back then.

Tacit Blue
07-19-2011, 6:26 PM
If you want it and that is the department of your choice then go for it. If you are able to talk yourself out of it then you really didn't want it that badly. I have been in this business long enough to see tons of people come and go and some that never got in the door because of nothing else but their own doing.

I had to fight all the way for my job. You don't know how tough it was back in the day when LE was a different animal. Hiring practices were a little different back then.

You know what, your right 100%. Thanks for setting my **** straight, i applied last night...All you can do is be persistent, and try your best...I don't like having a defeatist type of mentality towards the Civil service hiring process...But nowdays, theirs a abundance of overqualified recruits. That have sought out jobs that they are used to, outside their elements..

As a result of the economic depression/recession...

ckim34
07-20-2011, 8:40 AM

I was really pondering, i think an agency would rather hire somebody with some sort of LE experience. Compared to a ' Academy graduate' with none?

I heard of people graduating and not being able to get picked up, but i think real world experience is always more valuable; in certain cases no?

I'm 23, so i guess a few years wont hurt.

We hired our last two CSO/parking enforcement guys. Even paid for them to go to academy. They didnt pass FTO and had to be let go but it still got their foot in the door. The last I checked one of them had been picked up by another agency.

While age is a factor, it isn't a make or break issue. There are plenty of 35 year old that act like they are 12 and lots of 24 year olds that are mature. I was hired at 22 and that was four years ago.

Notorious
07-20-2011, 4:31 PM
You know what, your right 100%. Thanks for setting my **** straight, i applied last night...All you can do is be persistent, and try your best...I don't like having a defeatist type of mentality towards the Civil service hiring process...But nowdays, theirs a abundance of overqualified recruits. That have sought out jobs that they are used to, outside their elements..

As a result of the economic depression/recession...

I got hired 2 days before I turned 24. Not without a fight every step of the way though. The market was way tough for LE in the mid-90's and practices weren't as fair as it is now.

Facing rejection is a part of the game but you just keep plugging away at it. I have received more "thin" letters than I care to remember.

My buddy in the academy had it worse. He faced 10 years of rejection and every local agency have him a hard time not because of any issue in particular but just didn't like him. He got discouraged like you and it manifested in him tanking written tests because he just went in with a defeatist attitude. I chewed him out too and he persevered.

Now he is with ATF and has been there since the late 90's because he didn't give up. He loves it and I'm very happy for him.

ironcross
07-21-2011, 2:36 AM
I got hired 2 days before I turned 24. Not without a fight every step of the way though. The market was way tough for LE in the mid-90's and practices weren't as fair as it is now.

Facing rejection is a part of the game but you just keep plugging away at it. I have received more "thin" letters than I care to remember.

My buddy in the academy had it worse. He faced 10 years of rejection and every local agency have him a hard time not because of any issue in particular but just didn't like him. He got discouraged like you and it manifested in him tanking written tests because he just went in with a defeatist attitude. I chewed him out too and he persevered.

Now he is with ATF and has been there since the late 90's because he didn't give up. He loves it and I'm very happy for him.

Ain't that the truth. Bro back in the 90's it seemed a little easier in San Diego County, at least...

My opinion on the matter.

Like the saying goes, "You gotta spend money to make money." and "You win some, you lose some, but you live to fight another day."

What I got from what you were trying to say was; (The above) But don't quit, don't give up to easy. You got to fight for it, fight for your right's!

Notorious
07-21-2011, 8:52 AM
Yep. If you want it, go for it. Never know if you don't try and if you don't throw your hat in the ring, you lost before you even started.