PDA

View Full Version : background checks to sell ammo?

Arreaux
07-17-2011, 3:06 PM
here at wally world management is telling the associates that there is a new law requiring background checks on any associate who will be selling or handling ammo. is this true ?

stitchnicklas
07-17-2011, 3:39 PM
fud...as of now..

de leons b.s. might change that..

Librarian
07-17-2011, 3:40 PM
No new law.

Unless declared 'urgent', laws take effect in January of the year following passage, or on the date specified in the law itself.

just a sec .... Might have missed it, but doesn't seem to be in any of the current crop of CA bills, and was not part of last session's AB 962.

So, you might politely ask what new law they might be thinking of.

It's a common failing of some folks to want to cloak their policy preferences in a false aura of legal requirement; it's especially annoying when they have the authority to implement those preferences but hide behind some story.

taperxz
07-17-2011, 4:14 PM
Perhaps wal mart has this policy in place to CYA their company as opposed to an actual law. You did say "background checks for their people to sell"

Arreaux
07-17-2011, 5:12 PM
well if its not a pending law, i dont understand what benefit it would be to them to require it of their associates? i tend to believe someone on the management team is ill informed .

taperxz
07-17-2011, 5:24 PM
Companies will do strange things to avoid potential lawsuits that their legal team may advise them on in regards to potential problems or have had unscrupulous people not following company policy internally. They can as a private company require almost any screening they want of an employee prior to allowing certain duties. It's probably a WM policy instead of a law

Burbur
07-17-2011, 6:46 PM
I would recommend they run some sort of background check to make sure their clerks aren't prohibited persons, otherwise they could be asking their employee to commit a felony by ringing up a sale for ammo.

Connor P Price
07-17-2011, 6:52 PM
Not a law, but not a bad policy from a business perspective.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

BroncoBob
07-17-2011, 9:31 PM
Wonder if they are getting confused with HM232 DOT requirements?

Bill Carson
07-17-2011, 11:08 PM
walmart cannot even figure what signs to put up in their sporting goods sections regarding ammo.

1970msp
07-18-2011, 8:38 AM
Maybe they are prepping employees to be COE holders in the sporting goods dept, so firearm sales can resume.
Just wishful thinking.....

Wherryj
07-18-2011, 8:39 AM
walmart cannot even figure what signs to put up in their sporting goods sections regarding ammo.

The Walmarts in Alameda Co can't even figure out HOW to put up ammo for sale in their sporting goods departments. :p

Arreaux
07-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Maybe they are prepping employees to be COE holders in the sporting goods dept, so firearm sales can resume.
Just wishful thinking.....

Well that was my thought, we went through that process for our COE in 2004 when they were getting ready to resume firearm sales until they got hit with the 14.1 million fine from when Bill lockyer was California attorney general.

I have yet to question the manager who brought this up, they were off over the weekend....:mad: