PDA

View Full Version : Heard back from Senator Steinberg

hammerhands32
07-16-2011, 8:22 PM
I heard back from My Senator today

"Thank you for your recent communication in opposition to SB 124 and SB 798 (De Leon). SB 124 would change the wording of existing law to eliminate the word "primarily" as it pertains to ammunition and what constitutes a charge of first-degree murder. For example, under current law, murder using "ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor" is murder in the first degree. This bill would delete the word "primarily" and recast that provision to provide that all murder in which the perpetrator knowingly uses ammunition designed to penetrate metal or armor is murder in the first degree. SB 798 would impose civil fines on the sale, manufacture, transportation, receipt, or distribution of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices, and would also include BB devices within requirements pertaining to "imitation firearms" that require the exterior device to be brightly colored. I appreciate hearing from you on these matters.

After carefully considering all the arguments before me, I supported SB 124 and SB 798 on the Senate floor on June 1 and May 9, 2011. According to the author of SB 124, "SB 124 is the cop-killer bullet ban protection act which I introduced in response to a recent court ruling that called into question the definition of handgun ammunition and by extension, cop killer bullets. SB 124 simply clarifies the definition of cop-killer bullets to include bullets that are DESIGNED to penetrate body armor when fired from a handgun. This clarification is designed to preempt future litigation on this matter and keep cop-killer bullets illegal in the state of California." This bill is currently awaiting a hearing in the Assembly Appropriations Committee.

As for SB 798, I supported the measure because it would lower incidences of accidental police shooting of residents, especially minors and young adults. Requiring the exterior of these "imitation firearms" to be brightly colored would aid law enforcement officers' ability to quickly and accurately assess situations involving these devices. The bill is currently being reviewed by the Assembly Committee on Public Safety. While I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, I am generally a supporter of gun control and in the past I have supported many bills to that end.

You can read more about the status, history, and analysis of these bills online at www.leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html. While you are online, please check out my website, www.sen.ca.gov/steinberg, to learn of community events and other issues in which I am involved.

I trust that we agree on far more issues than we disagree. I appreciate hearing from my constituents on issues of concern to them. Please continue to express your views to me so I may best represent you in the state Senate.

If you need my assistance or have concerns about any other matter, please do not hesitate to call my office at (916) ***-****.

Sincerely,

DARRELL STEINBERG
President pro Tempore
6th Senate District"

Frustrating to say the least. "Cop Killer Bullets"???? This thing is so loaded with fud and propaganda I don't know where to start

ElvenSoul
07-16-2011, 8:34 PM
Let me umm consult my image advisor and take a poll first.. Tired of these kinds of politicos.

stitchnicklas
07-16-2011, 8:40 PM
if they want make all my surplus mosin ammo illegal,they can pay to replace it with winchester brand stuff then.....jackholes

Toolbox X
07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
I wrote your response for you.

Sen. Steinberg,

You have zero understanding of anything having to do with firearms. Only a politician could hold such an ego as to make powerful decisions on matters they have absolutely no understanding of. The most basic research or firearms experience will make you understand there is no such thing as a "cop killer" bullet. That is a fantasy term, there is no such bullet in the real world. You make yourself look extremely ignorant when you speak of such things.

Please do the people of California a favor. Before you write, support or vote for a bill that will affect thousands to millions of people, spend at least five minutes doing some research. I understand you anti-gun people simply vote in support of every anti-gun bill put before you, because you hate guns. But please, if you will, stop lying to us about why you vote for them. Please do not tell us you are against fantasy-land magical "cop killer bullets. Tell us you know there is no such thing as a "cop killer" bullet because you've researched it, but you hate guns and are going to vote against them any way you can regardless.

As a voter, I would at least prefer you to be honest and truthful, instead of flat out lying to me, or keeping yourself so ignorant of the issues you vote on that you can later claim you voted without understanding the bill.

Sincerely,
<your name>

SanPedroShooter
07-16-2011, 10:05 PM
He "wrote" me the exact same thing... Including that line about "agreeing more than we disagree".

Which I disagree with.

vantec08
07-17-2011, 5:40 AM
I wrote to Steinberg - - "your address is not in my district. Contact your own representative."

HowardW56
07-17-2011, 6:42 AM
At least you received a reply, a piss poor reply, but you received one...

I an not represented by the self-glorified Ted Lieu, even though I live within his district. Messages sent to his office are lost forever to the black hole of electrons...

I have attempted to make the less than honorable Senator, and formerly Assembly Member Lieu aware of my position/opinion on several issues at various times.

I have never received any form of acknowledgement.

For this reason alone I support anyone who opposes him...

big red
07-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Gentlemen, all you have to do is listen to these men on television when they are interviewed and you will clearly see why you got the answers you did. They have no concept of what they are talking about in my opinion and they rely on support staff to write their one line responses. Ask them to go any further and they stand there in front of the camera like deer caught in headlights. i live in the Senator's district and this man did nothing for Sacramento in local politics and in my opinion he is even worse in state politics. Again my personal opinion this man will not stop until he gets guns banned for every law biding citizen and exposes the public to increased murder and mayhem rates in the coming years. It would be interesting to find out if he or Dickerson have CCWs since they appear to be two of the biggest anti-gun people in state politics and both are from Sacramento. Do not expect to change their vote on this issue. We need to embarrass them enough to get them kicked out by the voters.

Bhobbs
07-17-2011, 3:48 PM
You should write him back and tell him that cops wear body armor that is not made of metal and is designed only to stop low power handgun rounds. Any pointy bullet that moves fast enough will easily zip through their armor.

Also ask him what happens when a criminal points a bright yellow painted Glock.

jtyner
07-17-2011, 8:37 PM
^^ this

DannyInSoCal
07-17-2011, 8:44 PM
Unless you run a union - CA politicians don't give a crap about you....

luckystrike
07-17-2011, 8:55 PM
so will they buy me some virtually non exsistant non magnetic 5.45? I really dont think they even know what they are talking about. so what is a cop killer boolet and what is NOT a cop killer b00let?

yakmon
07-18-2011, 4:22 AM
what they define as a cop-killer bullet is anything that will penetrate metal or armor. how they define "metal or armor", aluminum foil, beer cans, or what? it's too bad that cgf and nra will have to waste funds on the suit that is sure to come, and a slam-dunk.

Kinsel83
07-18-2011, 5:30 AM
These assembly/senate men/women are so busy jacking up Cali, they have us talk to 'secretary's', who relay our grievances. I would like to talk to a assembly/senate person for once. That's not representation. Were being black balled. This is no longer a democracy or republic. Now.......I know there a few Cali representatives with a spine, that actually have our state or country at heart.

This is why I'm buying whatever ammo I can now. The writing is on the wall.

vantec08
07-18-2011, 6:17 AM
At least you received a reply, a piss poor reply, but you received one...

I an not represented by the self-glorified Ted Lieu, even though I live within his district. Messages sent to his office are lost forever to the black hole of electrons...

I have attempted to make the less than honorable Senator, and formerly Assembly Member Lieu aware of my position/opinion on several issues at various times.

I have never received any form of acknowledgement.

For this reason alone I support anyone who opposes him...

Actually, I did not recieve a response. Its simply an automatic computer generated zipcode-address rejection.

JagerTroop
07-18-2011, 7:48 AM
from www.patrol-log.com (http://www.patrol-log.com/2010/05/19/what-is-the-top-cause-of-police-officer-deaths/)

Oddly enough, Police officers are the biggest danger of working in law enforcement :eek:

Unfortunately, it appears that officers are more likely to die by their own hand than from on-the-job violence or accidents. According to studies completed by badgeoflife.com (http://www.badgeoflife.com/suicides.php), last year also saw 143 police officer suicides, with 141 in 2008, in addition to the police deaths noted above.

Second (first for "on the job") would be traffic accidents:

According to data from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, traffic-related incidents remain the number one cause of on-duty police deaths for the 12th straight year.

So, cops themselves, and cars are the biggest danger to cops... but let's ban the mythical "cop killer" bullets. That should save some lives :rolleyes:

1BigPea
07-18-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Sen. Steinberg,

You have zero understanding of anything having to do with firearms. Only a politician could hold such an ego as to make powerful decisions on matters they have absolutely no understanding of. The most basic research or firearms experience will make you understand there is no such thing as a "cop killer" bullet. That is a fantasy term, there is no such bullet in the real world. You make yourself look extremely ignorant when you speak of such things.

Please do the people of California a favor. Before you write, support or vote for a bill that will affect thousands to millions of people, spend at least five minutes doing some research. I understand you anti-gun people simply vote in support of every anti-gun bill put before you, because you hate guns. But please, if you will, stop lying to us about why you vote for them. Please do not tell us you are against fantasy-land magical "cop killer bullets. Tell us you know there is no such thing as a "cop killer" bullet because you've researched it, but you hate guns and are going to vote against them any way you can regardless.

As a voter, I would at least prefer you to be honest and truthful, instead of flat out lying to me, or keeping yourself so ignorant of the issues you vote on that you can later claim you voted without understanding the bill.

Sincerely,
<your name>

Good stuff...

Munk
07-18-2011, 10:53 AM
from www.patrol-log.com (http://www.patrol-log.com/2010/05/19/what-is-the-top-cause-of-police-officer-deaths/)

Oddly enough, Police officers are the biggest danger of working in law enforcement :eek:

Second (first for "on the job") would be traffic accidents:

So, cops themselves, and cars are the biggest danger to cops... but let's ban the mythical "cop killer" bullets. That should save some lives :rolleyes:

Redefine "cop killer bullets" to be accurate then. Copkiller bullets are now any bullets found within an officer's firearm as they are more likely to kill an officer than any other.

JagerTroop
07-18-2011, 5:44 PM
Redefine "cop killer bullets" to be accurate then. Copkiller bullets are now any bullets found within an officer's firearm as they are more likely to kill an officer than any other.

Don't forget about those damn "cop killer automobiles".

jl123
07-18-2011, 6:17 PM
Don't forget about those damn "cop killer automobiles".

How about cop killer donuts, as police are at a higher risk than the general public for heart disease.

Anchors
07-18-2011, 7:15 PM
I wrote to Steinberg - - "your address is not in my district. Contact your own representative."

Truly a representative of Californians.
"You can't vote for me or effect my reelection? Oh, you can go f--- yourself then. Bye now!"

vantec08
08-07-2011, 8:13 AM
I wrote to the slug again, using a rancho cordova address - simply asking for his definition of "cop killer bullets." Never heard back. Talk about "milking" a buzz term . . . . . . .

Heiko
08-07-2011, 9:16 AM
"Cop killer bullets"??? Of course they're real. We all, and apparently every politician, learned about them in "Lethal Weapon 3" so they MUST be real. Liberal Hollywood would never lie to us. :rolleyes:

http://www.propstore.com/img/products/699/num1.jpg

me109g4
08-07-2011, 9:26 AM
Originally Posted by Toolbox X

Quote:
Sen. Steinberg,

Sincerely,
<your name>

And was this reply actually sent to him??? and if not, why not?

warbird
08-07-2011, 2:07 PM
Take one look at the man when he is preening for the cameras and listen to how he talks. He says nothing , smiles like Forrest Gump, and in my personal opinion has none of the intelligence of a legallly defined moron. In my personal opinion this man is one of the greatest dangers to the public by serving in politics today and nothing you say is going to change either I.Q. point he has. It is a waste of time talking to this man. You would be better off talking to a wall. At least there might be a listening device in it.

me109g4
08-07-2011, 2:51 PM
Send it anyway,,,to not respond to him is a win for him,, not acceptable.

6172crew
08-07-2011, 3:07 PM

Triple dog dare ya to fire that one off to the d'bag.

freonr22
08-07-2011, 3:10 PM
They do know what they are talking about, and that's why they introduced these bills

hammerhands32
08-07-2011, 3:31 PM
Sent today

Sen. Steinberg,

Sincerely,

Hammerhands32

TBX

I had to put the TBX at the bottom to give some respect to Toolbox x. It's really dangerous to triple dog dare a man......

6172crew
08-07-2011, 3:48 PM
I know it isn't proper to pass up the double dog and go straight for the triple but your rep reminds me of Scott Farkus minus the yellow eyes.

Good job on the letter, if it's Ok with TBX I might just use that letter as my generic response to all the anti-gun reps in this state.
Sent today

Sen. Steinberg,

Sincerely,

Hammerhands32

TBX

I had to put the TBX at the bottom to give some respect to Toolbox x. It's really dangerous to triple dog dare a man......

tackdriver
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
As usual, this political stumblebum is doing what HE wants and not what the people who elected him want. You guys think maybe someday there will come a time when the public really starts demanding actual representation???

By the way the bill to clown color air rifles has been defeated.

vantec08
08-08-2011, 6:40 PM
As usual, this political stumblebum is doing what HE wants and not what the people who elected him want. You guys think maybe someday there will come a time when the public really starts demanding actual representation???

By the way the bill to clown color air rifles has been defeated.

Many of these CA politicos are indeed representing their constituents. Thats the whole problem - a dumbed down state and nation.