PDA

View Full Version : Taking the doors off my SUV

MustangO4
07-16-2011, 6:22 PM
Just to see what it looked like, I dropped the doors off my Isuzu. My question is if this would be street legal? Yes it has seatbelts and i put on a mirror.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/mirror.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/back9.JPG

Cokebottle
07-16-2011, 6:37 PM
Maybe legal, but don't do it.

That's likely unibody construction and a lot of the strength of the body comes from the doors.

Remove the doors, drive it for a year, and you'll probably find that you can no longer reinstall the doors because the body will sag at the B pillar.

Falconis
07-16-2011, 6:39 PM
and if something happens, in addition to the injuries sustained, your insurance won't pay out.

PANTyRAiD
07-16-2011, 6:45 PM
looks silly any ways...

infernl
07-16-2011, 6:50 PM
If its a unibody vehicle, the doors are part of the vehicle's structural rigidity. Just driving out of an uneven driveway at an angle can cause enough damage to the unibody to total it. Don't do it, put the doors back on before you drive it.

MustangO4
07-16-2011, 7:21 PM
It is not a unibody. It is body on frame. The same as an Amigo, Trooper or rodeo. A lot of the guys that off road them pull the doors before going out, like a jeep. The question was is it street legal to drive it that way. I know it is in Jeeps, but I am not sure if that has to do with the doors being designed to be removed or not.

The wife refuses to get in it though, so the doors are back on, but i was thinking of dropping them for my next run to the desert....

What i am thinking is If legal, I would fab up some tube doors, like these:
http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/jeep_e-media/W45-door.jpg

Falconis
07-16-2011, 9:05 PM
cool. i would think you would be gtg then. vehicle codes apply to all vehicles. there is rarely an exception to any one make or model of vehicle.

maybe a traffic guy can jump in here. I just know the generals.

Jonathan Doe
07-16-2011, 9:24 PM
Maybe it will fall under unsafe vehicle? I have never seen one of those on the street. But then, there are Jeeps without doors on the roadway.

Cokebottle
07-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Jeep bodies rise a bit higher above the floorboards, almost to the level of the seat... they would tend to keep the feet/legs inside during an accident.

Now, the rear hatch being removed, that's not good. It will allow exhaust to enter the cabin.

ironcross
07-16-2011, 10:46 PM
You can be cited for VC 26709(b) (http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26709.htm)

As well as Falconis stated:
and if something happens, in addition to the injuries sustained, your insurance won't pay out.

A lot of insurance company's are getting on the bandwagon with vehicle modification.

You would be liable for any injuries that occurred in that vehicle if in a accident. Unless the insurance company knew of such modification?

You can always take it to your local CHP testing area to see if they will pass it or not.

My Ranger was totaled (By a 16Yro who peeled out from the curb and PITed my truck and went into a RV to show of to some hinas...) and rebuilt and had to get a salvage title and needed CHP to sign off on it.

Turo
07-16-2011, 10:51 PM
You can be cited for VC 26709(b) (http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26709.htm)

Why? He's got at least two mirrors that I can see.

ironcross
07-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Why? He's got at least two mirrors that I can see.

Since not factory. Can they please;

CVC 26709;
(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

It is not a unibody. It is body on frame. The same as an Amigo, Trooper or rodeo. A lot of the guys that off road them pull the doors before going out, like a jeep. The question was is it street legal to drive it that way. I know it is in Jeeps, but I am not sure if that has to do with the doors being designed to be removed or not.

The wife refuses to get in it though, so the doors are back on, but i was thinking of dropping them for my next run to the desert....

What i am thinking is If legal, I would fab up some tube doors, like these:
http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/jeep_e-media/W45-door.jpg

As above I stated as long it pleases CVC 26709(b);
(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

I couldn't find anything with in the CVC regarding doors. Other state have laws prohibiting it, yet California has none that I could find.

Cokebottle
07-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Right mirror is only needed if the view from the center mirror is obstructed by cargo or a structure in the vehicle (including tinted windows, I got popped for that in my '69 Camaro, front windows were legal, rear and rear sides were blacked out with 2 layers of 5%).
Added a mirror on the right and got it signed off.

But the center and left mirrors are needed.

You left out 26709(b):
(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.
(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.
(3) A bus or trolley coach.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.

(b) doesn't apply if the view from the center mirror is clear.

ironcross
07-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Right mirror is only needed if the view from the center mirror is obstructed by cargo or a structure in the vehicle (including tinted windows, I got popped for that in my '69 Camaro, front windows were legal, rear and rear sides were blacked out with 2 layers of 5%).
Added a mirror on the right and got it signed off.

But the center and left mirrors are needed.

You left out 26709(b):
(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.
(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.

(b) doesn't apply if the view from the center mirror is clear.

I'm not an expert. But can you cite the CVC that requires a "Center Rear View Mirror"?

Per VC 26709;

Allows two (2) (Driver side and rear view) mirrors to be unobstructed at all times. Since we can't see how the rear hatch would effect the rear view. Nor do we know how the aftermarket[?] side mirror distance is. That's why I cited CVC 26709(b).

As to 1 and 2 can be easily violated due to say a 'desert trip'. You're either carrying a lot gear in the rear or a trailer of dirt bikes, etc.

For 3 all the new buses I've seen don't have a rear glass. So it would be in violation. As only school buses I've seen have rear glass.

Better safe than sorry.

Cokebottle
07-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Read the CVC in it's entirety...
26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side. Okay, so every vehicle except a motorcycle requires two mirrors. One of the two must be mounted on the left hand side.

(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:
Mirrors are required on both the left and right hand side if and only if the view is obstructed without a right hand side mirror.

It's true that the center mirror is not a requirement... as long as you have two, the 2nd one may be anywhere other than the left side.

Very, very few vehicles came equipped with right hand side mirrors prior to the mid 70s. Today, virtually every car has one, but the 3rd mirror on the right is not a legal requirement for passenger cars.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.Go figure :D
IMHO, blocked view is a blocked view whether you can tell your brother in law to move his fat head or not.

ironcross
07-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Read the CVC in it's entirety...
Okay, so every vehicle except a motorcycle requires two mirrors. One of the two must be mounted on the left hand side.

Mirrors are required on both the left and right hand side if and only if the view is obstructed without a right hand side mirror.

It's true that the center mirror is not a requirement... as long as you have two, the 2nd one may be anywhere other than the left side.

Very, very few vehicles came equipped with right hand side mirrors prior to the mid 70s. Today, virtually every car has one, but the 3rd mirror on the right is not a legal requirement for passenger cars.

Go figure :D
IMHO, blocked view is a blocked view whether you can tell your brother in law to move his fat head or not.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

We've basically said the same logic.

Per the OP is a dynamic situation. We can't tell either or with the rear hatch missing. Nor how his vehicle would be loaded while in use on a public road/highway. Nor the distance of his side mirror.

MustangO4
07-18-2011, 7:41 PM
Well, the doors are back on, but without the benefit of photoshop, I did a couple of Power Point " Mock-ups" incorporating the cladding. I would have to remove it, but that shouldn's be too bad. THen just back on when summer is over. Maybe someone with PS can do a better job but here are three options I am considering:

Option 1 this one would have some sort of box built into the hollow of the cladding and just take your chances without a spare.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Slide15.JPG

Option 2 swing open gate with full size spare on the back
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Slide22.JPG

Option 3 Small mount at an angle for the spare out the back like all the "bro-mobilles" out here that never get in the dirt but are built to run Baja.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Slide31.JPG

Or nothing at all. just tinkering and sharing. And yes, i know Jeeps do that. I don't want a Jeep. Thanks for the suggestion.

BajaJames83
07-18-2011, 7:46 PM
dont do it!! looks weird

MustangO4
07-18-2011, 7:52 PM
dont do it!! looks weird

It is an Isuzu Vehicross. It already looks weird!

DiscoBayJoe
07-18-2011, 7:53 PM
Jeeps run without doors all the time. I have put thousands of miles with no issues. I don't see why your Amigo should be any different. It deserves equal protection under the law ;)

You need a drivers mirror and a rear-view *OR* a a drivers and passenger mirror.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/35051_448095001822_563416822_6059664_3309830_n.jpg

BajaJames83
07-18-2011, 7:53 PM
point taken. the body may flex thus not allowing you to put the stuff back on later like the other guys said