PDA

View Full Version : Flare gun

WokMaster1
01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Can you fire a 12 gauge bird shot out of a 12 gauge flare gun? Just curious!

Josh
01-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Nope, well maybe just once...

chiefcrash
01-04-2007, 1:00 PM
Sure you can! of course, your not likely to do much else after that....

do you like hospital jello?

jaymz
01-04-2007, 1:14 PM
What about a 12ga. flare out of a 12ga. shotgun?

DRH
01-04-2007, 1:20 PM
A weapon with a bore over .5" would be a destructive device.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt
The only exemption would be for sporting shotguns and approved sporting hunting calibers. I would not recommend possession of a 12 GA flare gun or adapter (12GA by 26mm or 37mm) and mini shotguns shells as together they could meet this requirement.

JPglee1
01-04-2007, 1:42 PM
What about a 12ga. flare out of a 12ga. shotgun?

Yah, you can do that, I mean its physically possible, I dunno if its smart or legal.

J

hoffmang
01-04-2007, 2:17 PM
I have a spare flare gun on the boat and have always been curious about this. I think it may be time for a mythbusters style remote triggering attempt...

-Gene

saki302
01-04-2007, 2:21 PM
I'd bet $20 you either lose the hand, or at least a few fingers. They were not designed to contain those sorts of pressures.

make sure you have a friend videotape for youtube and faces of death XII.

-Dave

JPglee1
01-04-2007, 2:29 PM
I have a spare flare gun on the boat and have always been curious about this. I think it may be time for a mythbusters style remote triggering attempt...

-Gene

It will explode...

The main problem is you aren't gonna GET the 12GA shell to fit inside the flare gun. The chamber depth is too short.

I suppose an idiot could do it using Aguila short shells...

It also might be possible using a 12-20ga adaptor and use a 20ga shell.

Either way, firing a shotgun shell from a flare gun is 100% illegal and is a felony. DO NOT ATTEMPT IT. You will either disfigure your hand for life when the gun explodes, or land your butt in the pokey.

You've been warned, lol.

J

hoffmang
01-04-2007, 2:45 PM
Everyone here misses the "mythbuster's style remote triggering" part of my post.

I'm thinking steel box and a 20 yard pull chord. I would hope that others here would not insult my intelligence so much as to think I'd have this in hand when it went off.

-Gene

luvtolean
01-04-2007, 3:16 PM
If we knew the thickness of the plastic, the plastic used (and its material properties) and the peak pressure of the shotgun shell used, we could make a pretty dang good "guess" if it'd blow up or not.

MotoGuy
01-04-2007, 3:27 PM
I'd bet $20 you either lose the hand, or at least a few fingers. They were not designed to contain those sorts of pressures.

If there is no barrel to contain the expanding gasses would there be a great amount of pressure?

For example, on the myth busters episode where they set off 22 shells with electricity, since there was no barrel, the bullet seemed to basically pop off the shell.

I'll take the $20 bet, but I still won't hold it in my hand... just in case :D

WokMaster1
01-04-2007, 3:37 PM
Sure you can! of course, your not likely to do much else after that....

do you like hospital jello?

Actually, it's quite good, if I may say so. :D

grammaton76
01-04-2007, 4:19 PM
Everyone here misses the "mythbuster's style remote triggering" part of my post.

I'm thinking steel box and a 20 yard pull chord. I would hope that others here would not insult my intelligence so much as to think I'd have this in hand when it went off.

And let's not forget, if you take your boat far enough out so you're in international waters, you don't have to worry about firearms law, do you?

pacificcoast
01-04-2007, 5:19 PM
on a similar but unrelated note:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/050406_firelauncher.htm

:)

saki302
01-04-2007, 5:36 PM
haha- my bet required a hand :D

It would be interesting to see. I don't think the lack of a long barrel would keep it from exploding. A revolver will fire just fine with the barrel removed, and the bullets flush with the end of the cylinder. The cylinder walls are good enough to allow the pressure to build high enough to fire. I suspect the flare pistol wil do the same, well, enough to turn into a poor representation of a hand grenade.

- I just looked at the link- holy crap! Would NOT want to be behind that thing when it detonated!!!

-Dave

WokMaster1
01-04-2007, 6:34 PM
on a similar but unrelated note:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/050406_firelauncher.htm

:)

See! I knew that one can learn something new here everyday....almost! Now we know for sure that not only is it illegal to do such thing but it is also very dangerous. Good job guys!:D

hoffmang
01-04-2007, 7:54 PM
To escape from California laws, it takes 3 miles offshore. To escape Federal laws, its is 15 miles if memory serves.

I sense a Calguns 40 mile cruise out. Trap is particularly fun at sea.

Oh - and the reason guys would do this is to evade draconian Mexican and Canadian firearms on board laws.

-Gene

rayra
01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
What about a 12ga. flare out of a 12ga. shotgun?Incendiary projectiles are a no-no in California.

hoffmang
01-04-2007, 11:27 PM
CJ5,

American flagged = American boardable around the globe. However, I'm not sure that admiralty law incorporates all Federal law. Its something I've been wanting to research. I believe that the issues have to do with certain Federal laws being "In The United States." Colregs and MARPOL, etc. certainly apply as do Federal Controlled Substances laws.

However, on the only mildly off topic side, being out from under State Laws (but not State Fish & Game Laws) is only about an hour from the Golden Gate... 3 Miles is kind of screwy out the Gate due to the Farallons if you're being anal. However, I know most people just count the 3 miles from headlands for MARPOL (waste and garbage.)

-Gene

Rumpled
01-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Incendiary projectiles are a no-no in California.

You know, I think this one (12ga flare) is allowed in CA. Gotta go check.

Coastey
01-05-2007, 7:12 AM
I'd suggest you be at least 12 miles from shore and make sure no one is around. As mentioned before the Territorial Sea and State waters end at 3 miles and the Customs waters go out for another 9 miles. However, being on a U.S. flagged (documented or registered) vessel, the Coast Guard can board you anywhere. Remember the flare is a distress signal. I changed course and came down on a sailboat that shot a flare once. He was just curious and wanted to see what it looked like...didn't notice the pretty white cutter transitting nearby.