PDA

View Full Version : legal information regarding starting a firearms related business

AvyDriver
07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I am looking for someone (preferably a lawyer) who can answer a couple simple (I hope) questions regarding starting up a business that is firearms related. I want to make sure I am doing everything right and not get myself in trouble. Can someone of this nature who can help me out shoot a PM my way so I can discuss a couple questions with them? Thank you.

The Shadow
07-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I am looking for someone (preferably a lawyer) who can answer a couple simple (I hope) questions regarding starting up a business that is firearms related. I want to make sure I am doing everything right and not get myself in trouble. Can someone of this nature who can help me out shoot a PM my way so I can discuss a couple questions with them? Thank you.

I was actually considering the idea of selling firearms that were working replicas of firearms made prior to 1898. As I understand it, they aren't considered firearms and so they don't require an FFL to do the transfer. And once that business got going, I would then upgrade with an FFL license, and sell contemporary arms as well.

From what I understand, you can sell everything but the actual firearm itself, if the firearm was made after 1898. So that means you could sell ammo, mags, holsters, everything other than arms until you get your FFL.

AvyDriver
07-16-2011, 1:21 PM
Sent you a PM shadow.

thedrickel
07-16-2011, 7:50 PM
I was actually considering the idea of selling firearms that were working replicas of firearms made prior to 1898. As I understand it, they aren't considered firearms and so they don't require an FFL to do the transfer. And once that business got going, I would then upgrade with an FFL license, and sell contemporary arms as well.

From what I understand, you can sell everything but the actual firearm itself, if the firearm was made after 1898. So that means you could sell ammo, mags, holsters, everything other than arms until you get your FFL.

Antiques are not firearms.

Replica antiques that shoot cartridges ARE firearms.

Black powder arms of any age are not firearms.

I have a Chilean Mauser in 7mm, made in 1895, it's antique. If I copy it exactly . . . it's a modern firearm.

Librarian
07-16-2011, 8:02 PM
Do recall that the 'not a firearm' part refers to the dispensation from using an FFL for transfer. For all other purposes - especially carry - yes, they ARE firearms.