PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions for rimfire?

TonyNorCal
01-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm interested in picking up another rimfire firearm. Use is basically range shooting...either at targets or objects which my range deems safe (clay pidgeons, pieces of clay pidgeons, etc.).

I currently have two Ruger 10/22s...one is in stock configuration and the second I've modified with a heavy barrel and overmolded stock. I also have a Marlin 7000T. And in the handgun department I have a Ruger 22/45.

I'm interested in picking up another primarily due to the inexpensive ammo factor...little money = lots of fun. I like being able to take a rimfire along with a centerfires...and then after getting my fix of the more powerful cartridges plinking around with a brick of inexpensive ammo.

So, I'm just seeing what you might recommend. Maybe a recommendation for both a rifle and handgun (althought not sure I'll buy both now). I am considering a the .17 caliber...but am a bit hesitant as it seems ammo cost is on par with .223 and really what I am after with these is fun that is less expensive than my centerfire arms.

So, I'm just throwing it open to suggestions. I'm not looking for anything ultra high-end or expensive. And, one of my main criteria is something fairly reliable...I know rimfire is inherently less reliable than centerfire...but I don't want anything that has a spotty history of functioning poorly.

Thanks

SigShooter
01-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I gotta agree with ya... Shooting rimfire is a blast and cheaper than dirt.

As far as rimfires go, I have a Marlin 39a, Browning BL-22 (both lever guns), 2 10/22s (both heavily modified) and a S&W model 41.

I can hit a .25" group at 50yrds (when there is no wind) consistently with the 10/22s, but I'd rather shoot the 39a as it is a blast. Since you already have a 10/22 I'd say go for a lever or a nice bolt (CZ makes some damn accurate rimfire bolts) as far as the rifle goes. I don't have any glass on my lever .22s but I do have a williams peep on the 39a which keeps me in the black at 50. I prefer the 39a to the BL-22 mostly because of the weight difference. The BL-22 is quite a bit lighter than the 39a. I hear that Henry makes a fine lever .22 also, but I have not shot one.

As for the pistol, I don't think anyone could argue the model 41 is top notch, but current models are pricey. You already have a Ruger 22/45 so I won't suggest the Mark III as they are so similar, how about a Browning Buckmark or the Hamerli Trailside is another nice .22. I don't have any experience with the Sig Mosquito, but have not heard anything bad about them. Or if you want to go wheel gun, the Ruger Single Six is a hoot to shoot. (Just find a nice used one and PPT it).

Fjold
01-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Why not try a high quality 22 lr bolt gun? You could go the precision route with an Anschutz 54 or 64 or maybe a CZ match gun.

kilword
01-04-2007, 12:41 PM
browning buckmark for pistol! cant go wrong with them. lots of upgrades and barrel upgrades
for rifle I like10/22's some many ways you can upgrade them from target...to competition to the tacticool.
might want to look into a leveraction 22 those are alot of fun to shoot.

kilword
01-04-2007, 12:42 PM
if you do a bolt rimfire id go with the .17, yea ammos a lil more expensive but its not like your burning through ammo with a boltaction.

kilword
01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
www.rimfirecentral.com great forum for anything 22 if you dont know about it already :)

guimus
01-04-2007, 1:29 PM
henry lever-action .22 carbine. About as much fun as you can have in a .22

E Pluribus Unum
01-04-2007, 1:30 PM
.17 HMR is VERY flat. If you like .22lr you will LOVE .17 HMR. It is a varmint round and it will reach out and touch them without causing lots of damage.

I have shot a couple but have yet to buy one. They do have .17HMR kits for 10/22 rifles.

SigShooter
01-04-2007, 2:42 PM
.17 HMR is VERY flat. If you like .22lr you will LOVE .17 HMR. It is a varmint round and it will reach out and touch them without causing lots of damage.

I have shot a couple but have yet to buy one. They do have .17HMR kits for 10/22 rifles.

For the .17HMR swap you have to use a 10/22 .22 mag (which are getting hard to find), and it is very easy to do. You can go from 10/22 .22LR to a .17HM2 also, not quite as far reaching as the .17HMR, but very effective out to 100yrds.

saki302
01-04-2007, 3:08 PM
I second the marlin 39A lever gun- tons of fun, and you can shoot CB's QUIETLY for pest control if you had to.
Mine will cycle .22 S L LR, CB, and super colibri.
And the best part is, mine;s a true >50 year old C&R :)

As far as pistols go, you can't go wrong with a Ruger Mk2.. If you want something fancier, Hi-standard Supermatic citation, or S&W M41 are nice. Sig/hammerli Trailisdes are nice too, but lack the fine feel of the older guns. They may have a slight edge in accuracy though.

-Dave

10ring
01-04-2007, 3:48 PM
I have a 10/22 modified, Trailside target pistol and several larger caliber firearms.
I bought a Henry lever rifle (H001T) recently. It is so much fun and more accurate than my 10/22 at 50yds. I find that I bring it to the range all the time (leaving the 10/22 behind).
I looked at all the lever rifles in 22. The Marlin 39a was the top of my list. I did not want to spend the $ on new. I looked for several months for a used rifle locally with no luck. I found a new Henry (20" octigon barrel, Marble sights, etc) for a great price and jumped on it. The trigger is smooth and the action sweet.
My 13 year old loves the rifle and I usually cannot get any time with it. The benefit of the lever action over the semi-auto is that my teenager now is aiming.

So, get a lever action

luvtolean
01-04-2007, 3:54 PM
Are you a 1911 guy?

How about a .22 kit for that?

How about something in .22 short?

fairfaxjim
01-04-2007, 4:10 PM
+1 on the .22lr lever guns. I have a 1964 vintage Marlin 39A- bought it when I was 14 years old - that I always bring to the range. Either that or the Henry will be a great addition to your current .22 stable.

guimus
01-04-2007, 5:49 PM
and if you ever find yourself living/travelling in a place where it's accepted to walk around with a firearm, there's nothing like a lever-action .22 for taking out melons of opportunity.

brassburnz
01-04-2007, 6:12 PM
For a pistol, see if you can find a nice used High Standard from Connecticutt, not Texas. They are extremely well made pistols and make excellent plinkers. I see them on consignment at at gun shows in the $300-200 range all the time.

Also keep an eye out for a Colt Woodsman or it's lower end variations the Huntsman, Challenger, etc. I bought a used Challenger with a mismatched magazine for $220 not that long ago. Ruger Mk II's were going for about the same price, but but the little Colt as just too cool to pass up.

For a rifle, see if you can find a Romanian .22 trainer. It's a full size bolt action that uses a 5-round clip. I bought one from a forum member last year for 60 bucks. I put a Weaver V-22 scope on it and it shoots very well. From a standing position, leaning my back against a support, I put 5 shots into a group you could cover with a dime at 50 feet. (Yeah, I know that's kinda close.) 4 shots were actually touching. The flyer opened up the group to dime-sized.

Randy
NRA Life Member

scootergmc
01-04-2007, 7:09 PM
.It is a varmint round and it will reach out and touch them without causing lots of damage.

I highly beg to differ with you on your statement. And so do all the dead jackrabbits. Small hole going in. Nasty mess upon re-entry into the atmosphere. :eek:

With that said, get a Marlin or Savage .17HMR. I got the Marlin. That was a while ago. If I did it all over again I would get the Savage because it's noqw available with the accutrigger. Of course, I did put a Rrifle Basix trigger in the Marlin...It goes off with the brush of a feather...

alpha_romeo_XV
01-04-2007, 9:05 PM
I recently got the Savage Mark II FVT free float crowned bull barrel 22LR bolt rifle. It comes in the box with Williams target peep on rear and Lyman globe front w inserts and Accutrigger for $279 (poor man's Anschutz IMHO) I have the previous model with a scope but really like the new one, as the accutrigger is sweeeet. They also increased the size of the bolt handle. Only thing I wish was the laminated wood stock as an option. My first love Marlin 39A (can you say 18 rnd tube) but a bolt gun is a whole lot faster to dissassemble/clean.
BTW how do you attach pic as non attachment that requires log in to view?

scootergmc
01-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I recently got the Savage Mark II FVT free float crowned bull barrel 22LR bolt rifle. It comes in the box with Williams target peep on rear and Lyman globe front w inserts and Accutrigger for $279 (poor man's Anschutz IMHO) I have the previous model with a scope but really like the new one, as the accutrigger is sweeeet. They also increased the size of the bolt handle. Only thing I wish was the laminated wood stock as an option. My first love Marlin 39A (can you say 18 rnd tube) but a bolt gun is a whole lot faster to dissassemble/clean.
BTW how do you attach pic as non attachment that requires log in to view?

Do you mean like this? (you have to have a site to host pics (photobucket.com)):

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/scootergmc/IMG_3944.jpg

ivanimal
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Find an old pump action remington I put 17-22 shorts in mine and you cant hear em go off.:D

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/images/TP-4333.jpg

Like this one.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-05-2007, 12:56 AM
The correct answer is:

Remington 40X or Winchester 52D from the CMP.

tzahoy
01-05-2007, 8:15 AM
The correct answer is:

Remington 40X or Winchester 52D from the CMP.

Too late...

Mike 56
01-06-2007, 3:54 PM
The two i shoot the most are mine 10/22 with a Butler Creek folder and my WZ48 Polish trainer single shot (Nagant trainer). If i buy another it will a AK 22 trainer. The Romanian trainers are all so nice. Mike