PDA

View Full Version : Locks, please

mltrading
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
I am in SF bay area. Just wondering where to buy CADOJ approved "firearm safety devices" except gun shops. Maybe hardware stores or Wal mart. Please let me know your resources.:)

SigShooter
01-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I am in SF bay area. Just wondering where to buy CADOJ approved "firearm safety devices" except gun shops. Maybe hardware stores or Wal mart. Please let me know your resources.:)

WalMart used to carry them, not sure if they still do now that they no longer carry guns/ammo (at least in my area). Big 5 has them as most of their stores usually $5-$15.

Aluisious
01-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Sometimes you can get them for free at police stations. I know that the military surplus store in Mountain View on El Camino used to have some for free.

Aluisious
01-04-2007, 10:16 AM
WalMart used to carry them, not sure if they still do now that they no longer carry guns/ammo (at least in my area). Big 5 has them as most of their stores usually $5-$15.
The Mountain View and Milpitas Walmarts still carry ammo.

proraptor
01-04-2007, 10:34 AM
All walmarts around me still carry ammo

SigShooter
01-04-2007, 11:15 AM
The Mountain View and Milpitas Walmarts still carry ammo.

I wish they did around my area. I work in Pleasanton with a WalMart right across the street, they stopped selling ammo around July/August of last year. And the one just down the street from my house in Antioch stopped selling about a month after. I miss getting the WWB stuff (bulk packs) for my 9 & 45 for < $10 a box and .223 for just a few $ more. And don't get me started on .308 :eek: That was about the only thing WalMart was good for...

tenpercentfirearms
01-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I bought some locks at K-Mart on special for $2.50 once. I bought all of them that they had!

pnkssbtz
01-04-2007, 11:16 AM
If you get them from the police, I believe they don't give you a receipt, which you also need to use them to purchase a firearm...

Aluisious
01-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I plan on hitting up Wallyworld tonight for my first batch of .223 ammo...until I can figure out a good supply of surplus NATO.

krby
01-04-2007, 11:26 AM

The Mountain View WalMart still (as of last week) carries ammo, clays, and locks. Why won't you visit a gun shop?

mltrading
01-04-2007, 12:04 PM
The Mountain View WalMart still (as of last week) carries ammo, clays, and locks. Why won't you visit a gun shop?

Just trying to keep cost low. You know the mark-up stuff, don't you?;)

bear93445
01-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Sometimes you can get them for free at police stations. I know that the military surplus store in Mountain View on El Camino used to have some for free.

I would check carefully at the ones given out for free. The local PD here (SLO County) gave out thousands of free gun locks. I noticed in the literature that there was a disclaimer stating they were not CA approved. I donít know what the point was, must have been a warm and fuzzy campaign. Just something to watch out for.

gose
01-04-2007, 1:06 PM
Is there anything in the books that states that the lock has to be purchased from a store/company?

Can't you just buy a lock from anyone, as long as you get a receipt?

edit:
"Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model name of the device."

Aluisious
01-04-2007, 1:28 PM
Just trying to keep cost low. You know the mark-up stuff, don't you?;)
/grumbles about paying 10 dollars for CLP and 18 dollars for a BoreSnake at Reeds

Atmosphere
01-04-2007, 3:11 PM
So you need to have a gun lock and receipt present when you purchase a firearm? I bought my SKS, waited the 10 days, and walk out the front door without having a lock or receipt.

mike452
01-04-2007, 3:13 PM
What kind do you need? I have some.

You pay me a few bucks for shipping and I will get one out to you with an invoice. ;)
CA DOj approved..

brassburnz
01-04-2007, 6:30 PM
The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the guys who bring us the SHOT Show distributes gunlocks for free-Project Childsafe. The funny thing is, you won't find them at the gunstores because they'd never sell any locks of their own.

I don't know if they are DOJ approved. They are identical in design to the lock that came with my Kimber. DAC makes one that looks the same.

The lock comes with a pamphlet that tells all about gun safety for children and how to safely store your firearms.

I have several and have even seen people trying to sell them on Ebay, even though they are clearly marked 'Not for resale'.

If you're looking for a lock to complete a firearms sale, the lock won't work because you won't have a receipt for something that is free. I know because I tried over at Turners. Stupid law.

But if you want to keep your guns safe, I think you can't go wrong with these things.

I got mine at the Firing Line in Burbank because they DON"T SELL GUNS so they don't have to sell locks.

www.projectchildsafe.org

The site tells you where you can pick up locks for FREE.

Randy
NRA Life Member

maxicon
01-04-2007, 7:27 PM
Is there anything in the books that states that the lock has to be purchased from a store/company?

Can't you just buy a lock from anyone, as long as you get a receipt?

edit:
"Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model name of the device."

Yes, you can. I just sold a couple of locks to a friend to use when he picks up some guns I gave him that we just had transferred. If you already have the lock, you can give it to a friend, who can sell it back to you.

Some stores might give you a hassle because they want to sell you locks, but a good place will abide by the letter of the law you quoted and be happy to help.

We did our transfers at Markley's, one of my favorite gun stores, but they're in Watsonville, which is a bit out of the way.

Omega13device
01-04-2007, 10:24 PM
You just need to have the lock when you pick up your firearm. There's no requirement that you keep it after that, so...go to Big 5, buy a lock, and ask for a gift receipt. Take the register receipt as well. That's the one that will go to the FFL. When you pick up your firearm the FFL will attach the register receipt to your DROS form. Drive home and stow your firearm safely. Now you can go back to Big 5 and return your lock using the gift receipt (you will get a store credit I believe).

For safety purposes you can use the free locks provided by the police or whoever, that way you still have locks on your guns but you don't have to pay for them.

shark92651
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I know that for handguns they have to be approved for the actual handgun you are buying (although I am sure some FFLs are more lax than others in this regard). Is there a similar requirement for long guns?