PDA

View Full Version : American Exceptionalism And The 2nd Amendment

Black Dragon
07-15-2011, 4:52 PM
Our nation's legacy of American exceptionalism is alive and well, as demonstrated by those common, law-abiding Californians who have chosen to stake their names, faces, and professional reputations in the name of defending that which is greater than themselves--the basic, fundamental, and enumerated civil right to self defense.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-oakland/american-exceptionalism-and-the-2nd-amendment

curtisfong
07-15-2011, 4:58 PM
"which seems to divert their minds from the pursuit of science, literature, and the arts"

I never much cared for that part of that Tocqueville quote, which, assuming it isn't condescension, I nevertheless STILL find particularly insulting.

Wernher von Browning
07-15-2011, 7:42 PM
"which seems to divert their minds from the pursuit of science, literature, and the arts"

I never much cared for that part of that Tocqueville quote, which, assuming it isn't condescension, I nevertheless STILL find particularly insulting.

Yes, but consider that when he wrote it, the USA was nowheresville in those fields. He might have gotten a hint from some American inventions of the early 1800s, but in literature, music, science, we were still a backwater. American literature had a few authors that we know mainly because we were forced to read them in high school (Hawthorne, Poe, Cooper, had just begun to appear on the scene, Melville came later, Clemens/Twain wasn't even born yet).

So, when did it change? Dunno. Certainly by the time America became a world empire, 1898.

I think deep down, the good count had a fascination for the new country and a deep appreciation for America's potential. He knew the country would make something of itself someday. Remember that he never lived to see the American Civil War, which was the watershed event of American history in the 19th century.

oaklander
07-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Chau - it was very impressive to see how you related everything together on this. I think many of us fail to see things in the larger perspective like you outlined.

We truly ARE a unique country, with unique and sometimes passionate people. This is our strength!

I like this part!! LOL

And these clear-cut examples of American exceptionalism being demonstrated by 2nd Amendment activists in California show no signs of letting up any time soon. For instance, in a concerted bid to coalesce the efforts of all gun rights groups in the Golden State into an even more focused force multiplier on the political and legal stage, Calguns has organized a Second Amendment Weekend starting on Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 1 PM at the Murphys Historic Hotel in Murphys, California to review the remarkable progress that has been made over the past two years as well as discuss future plans that all 2nd Amendment activists can contribute to in re-securing their basic, fundamental, and enumerated civil right to self defense on the West Coast. With discounted hotel rates already negotiated beforehand for all event participants, most of the local hotels have already been booked to capacity, as more than 100 guests have already pre-registered for the event. However, there are local bed and breakfasts as well as campgrounds nearby for those wishing to exercise that option. For others still wishing to attend the event, organizer Kevin Thomason has recommended that those who have yet to register are welcome to bring sleeping bags and overnight accomodations will be made for any 2nd Amendment activists wishing to participate. As one of the largest 2nd Amendment advocacy gatherings in the history of the Golden State, there will be many prominent faces within the gun rights community in California speaking at this engagement, including several Calguns Foundation Board Members and at least one prominent civil rights attorney.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Modern American Exceptionalism And The 2nd Amendment - Oakland Gun Rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-oakland/american-exceptionalism-and-the-2nd-amendment#ixzz1SIf1IYFS

;-)

yellowfin
07-16-2011, 12:18 PM
I really wish I could get the NY people to catch up a hell of a lot faster to where you guys are right now.

oldguy870
07-16-2011, 5:09 PM
It was a long time ago that those words were written.

Now, Americans line up like sheep and let the TSA sexually molest their wives and children just to fly on an airplane. The sheep do not put up a fight.

It is a different country now.

yellowfin
07-16-2011, 6:33 PM
The founders opposed having a standing army as it would create exactly the problems we have now. I'm thinking having a standing government is just as bad if not worse a mistake, having permanent bureaucracies that exist for their own sake and take on a life of their own entirely.

Wernher von Browning
07-16-2011, 6:49 PM
Now, Americans line up like sheep and let the TSA sexually molest their wives and children just to fly on an airplane.

"Well, I guess it's OK, it makes me feel so much safer." [Cough, splutter, wiping snot off monitor...]

oldguy870
07-16-2011, 8:34 PM
Thanks Werner. You helped me realize something. As a society, we are obsessed with safety. When you leave for the weekend, people tell you to "have a safe weekend". All I hear is safe this and safe that.

It was never like this when I grew up. We knew the world was a dangerous place and acted accordingly. Now, we make our kids wear helmets to ride a bike, kids aren't allowed to run around the neighborhood by themselves, and kids are even put on a leash at the mall.

We have become a nation of sniveling cowards.

No wonder people are willing to let their bodies be violated by strangers even though the odds of getting killed by a "terrorist" are lower than dying by a bee sting.

In the name of safety, we are allowing them to turn this country into a police state.

Tarn_Helm
07-16-2011, 11:54 PM

Yeah.

Wrong about that.

American innovation in manufacturing techniques CAUSED Europe to turn to standardization and interchangeable parts.

See American Rifle: A Biography [Hardcover] Alexander Rose (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/American-Rifle-Biography-Alexander-Rose/dp/0553805177

Our arms technology drove technological and manufacturing advancement WORLDWIDE.

oaklander
07-17-2011, 1:04 AM
I agree with this. I've noticed this over the last 35 years or so. I grew up in the 1970's - and folks actually talked to strangers.

Now, everyone is afraid of everyone. Even when they don't actually even need to be!!!

It's just wrong!!!

I'm a lawyer in real life, but I also like motorcycles and tattoos. I'm a very pleasant person in real life. But when I ride up to a store or a gas station, people act afraid. It's crazy! When I'm in a car, and wearing a sport coat - I'm the exact SAME PERSON. But people buy into media hype, and just seem to EXPECT that someone is going to hurt them at every turn.

Unless you have a beef with a specific person, or work in a liquor store, or are LE, your chances of being a "violent crime victim" are EXTREMELY LOW in public and somewhat HIGH in private. Much of this depends on lifestyle, as well. . . But the point is that people have everything backwards.

A great book on this topic is:
The Gift of Fear
See: http://amzn.to/nb1sz0

Before I went back to school, and finished JC, and college, and law school - I was a bouncer. I got to see first hand exactly what causes violence. I've also lived off and on in East Oakland for years, and I know exactly how rare true "random violence" is.

I've even met more than one person who won't even LEAVE their house at night. That's just insane. Even statistically, their chances of being a random "violence victim" are simply NOT higher at night (unless they "do" something dumb, like walk up to a bunch of kids and throw gang signs).

Thanks Werner. You helped me realize something. As a society, we are obsessed with safety. When you leave for the weekend, people tell you to "have a safe weekend". All I hear is safe this and safe that.

It was never like this when I grew up. We knew the world was a dangerous place and acted accordingly. Now, we make our kids wear helmets to ride a bike, kids aren't allowed to run around the neighborhood by themselves, and kids are even put on a leash at the mall.

No wonder people are willing to let their bodies be violated by strangers even though the odds of getting killed by a "terrorist" are lower than dying by a bee sting.

In the name of safety, we are allowing them to turn this country into a police state.

Wernher von Browning
07-17-2011, 9:31 AM

When they came out with "safe sex," that was the beginning of the end. No, wait, let me rephrase that...

It was never like this when I grew up. We knew the world was a dangerous place and acted accordingly. Now, we make our kids wear helmets to ride a bike, kids aren't allowed to run around the neighborhood by themselves,

When I was a kid I could ride the bus all over Chicago without any worries. Try that today.

and kids are even put on a leash at the mall.

The first time I saw that was some yuppie woman at O'Hare with the kid on what looked like some kind of spincasting rig. And I thought, "Geez. What cruises around this airport that'll take bait that big?"

Yup. Note that the USA has not won a war since 1945. Cowardice? No, just bad (civilian) management. (And I include the 1991 Gulf War -- in the bag, then given away). But it's only going to get worse, with a gun-averse population and political correctness and world citizenship and gosh, trying just our darndest to make everybody like us.

Too late. Already happened. The surveillance tools and methods available now, and actually implemented, would have the likes of Heinrich Himmler turning cartwheels.

oaklander
07-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Another reason that we have not won a war since 1945 is that we have not been in a "righteous" war since then. It's impossible to win a bad war.

Sent from my Maxi-Pad.

Falconis
07-17-2011, 11:38 PM
hey hey hey, some of us are thankful for the involvement in Korea. I don't think communist Korea would have done anything for my tan or my personal gun collection.

Mulay El Raisuli
07-18-2011, 7:17 AM
Agree with the author completely. That's why when Sam Wolanyk drafted me (quite willingly) for a UOC event, I lead my part of the group to Seaport Village. Because I wanted our group to be seen by as many tourists as possible. Not just people from out of town. Not just people from out of the state. I wanted us to be seen by people from out of the country as well. So that there's just a tiny germ of the idea planted in their minds.

The Raisuli

yellowfin
07-18-2011, 8:05 AM

In the name of safety, we are allowing them to turn this country into a police state.Who's this "we" ? Not me. Not anyone in my family. I don't recall changing a thing from when I grew up. Who are these people and why did they decide to infest my country? They weren't there 20-25 years ago. I don't seem to remember anyone inviting them to do this.

oldguy870
07-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Who's this "we" ? Not me. Not anyone in my family. I don't recall changing a thing from when I grew up. Who are these people and why did they decide to infest my country? They weren't there 20-25 years ago. I don't seem to remember anyone inviting them to do this.

As far as "we" is concerned, I was speaking collectively as a country. When, "we" stop allowing Nazi TSA guards to hand rape flyers because we are scared of bearded men in caves, I will have a glimmer of hope for "us".

Personally, I don't live in irrational fear either.

Glock22Fan
07-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Nothing new about putting reins on kids. Right back to my childhood, at least, and that started during the 39-45 war (as we Brits call it).

Not that we had malls then.